Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League Structure / Promotions

Just a quick question about Trelawny League Structure / Promotions  for next season, I am not one to believe rumours but been told by various people that some league's such as Division 3 there could be 4-5 teams promoted to division 2.... I imagine it all may depend on teams dropping out and joining other leagues next season but wondered if anyone had any news/ info on this? Thanks 

In short, it is not uncommon to see a number of teams being promoted as opposed to the regulatory two. 

We've had a few withdrawals this season which has again left us short in a couple divisions. These gaps will need plugging. 

We have to wait and see what teams come down from the Combination League and what teams apply to join the League into Division 4. Only then will we know exactly what's happening.

What we need is some stability amongst our clubs over the next few seasons to enable the divisions to balance themselves out. Easier said than done though.

15 hours ago, B_D said:

In short, it is not uncommon to see a number of teams being promoted as opposed to the regulatory two. 

We've had a few withdrawals this season which has again left us short in a couple divisions. These gaps will need plugging. 

We have to wait and see what teams come down from the Combination League and what teams apply to join the League into Division 4. Only then will we know exactly what's happening.

What we need is some stability amongst our clubs over the next few seasons to enable the divisions to balance themselves out. Easier said than done though.

Thanks for some details on this, I imagined this was the case, I imagine any team that are asked to go up can accept or reject? or if you are asked you must go up end of? I think it's a great idea in some circumstances as it could help clubs entice more players but for some not ready I imagine it may be the opposite if you go up a league and get beat a few times players losing interest etc. Thanks for the info though 

Unfortunately teams that are in a promotion place/relegation place must go up and go down. The only exception would be if a club has two teams in two divisions which prevent that from happening. For example, Divison 2 & 3 with Frogpool & Cusgarne. The reserve side will either win the league or finish second but can’t be promoted as their first team are in the division above. If their first team relegated, the teams would swop places. However, if their firsts finished bottom and seconds finished out of the promotion places, the reserve would have to take relegation.

That’s exactly why we need to see a bit of stability among our clubs and have a season where no clubs fold. That way, the divisions can be fairly balanced. We’ve not had a season in the Trelawny League yet where we haven’t had to promote multiple teams.

We need people at these clubs trying to entice players back to the game. There are so many lads out there who don’t play football who (with a bit or persuading) would return to the game. We have to retain our current crop of players but also get the players we’ve lost back in the game. Just as important, we need to see more volunteers stepping up to the plate and helping out with the running of our clubs. More often than not, it is a single person running our clubs.

I had an enquiry this week from a gentleman asking about the cost of running a club next season (League and acounty fees etc) as he needed to know how far his pension would stretch... That should not be happening. I rung up a mate of mine who’s at this club and told him what I heard - I suggested him and his players get together, think of ways to get some cash (fundraising, signing on fees, applying for grants and funding etc) to save the only money this man receives going into a club that give him no thanks! This man is a dear friend of mine who has been good to me when I was playing for him, so it’s horrible to see that he’s financing everything out of his own pocket. But, the scary thing is.... it’s the same for 85% of our clubs.