Cornwall Football Forum

ILLOGAN concede and going down!

Illogan RBL have advised the SWPL this morning that they are unable to raise a side for Mondays match at home to Bude Town.

This means they will be deducted points and cannot avoid being relegated! Oh, and of course their third team won’t start so low down the Trelawny!

Players injured, recovering from injury, working, family commitments etc etc are the reasons - but just purely a sad state of affairs! 

If the first team are relegated, what does that do to the team beneath them in Combination? Whilst there isn’t such a thing as voluntary relegation, is there a thing called compulsory relegation? So because the firsts must go into Combo, does that mean the Combo team must have automatic relegation?

I should read the rules for my answer but it’s a good point to discuss...

Edit: Just seen your post in the Combo Page, I’m guessing compulsory relegation will be the outcome for Illogan Reserves. Interesting.

What does that do to the bottom of the Combination League? Do the bottom two still go down or does the single bottom side go down joined by Illogan? 

6 minutes ago, B_D said:

Correct me if I’m wrong...

They’re going down which means relegation into the Combination League... however, their Combo team look likely to survive the drop... So, the first team can’t drop into the Combo.

There’s no such thing as voluntary relegation so the team in Combo must stay put, unless they withdraw completely.... otherwise, if they want three teams, don’t they have to fold the first team, the seconds become the firsts in Combo, the Thirds become the seconds in Trelawny 2 and the Thirds then have to apply to enter the Trelawny League in Division 4 next season?

If the first team however are relegated, what does that do to the team beneath them in Combination? Whilst there isn’t such a thing as voluntary relegation, is there a thing called compulsory relegation? So because the firsts must go into Combo, does that mean the Combo team must have automatic relegation?

I should read the rules for my answer but it’s a good point to discuss...

Rule 12B (iii) says if a reserve and first team are in the same league the reserves will be automatically relegated unless they withdraw from the league.

Checked the ruling (I removed the top part of my post shortly afterwards - left the bottom half however). I think that ultimately, this is what Illogan wanted. They gave the swpl a try so good on them I say. 

The thing I'm interested in is what happens at the bottom of the combo - we've got two teams in Wendron and Lizard wanting to go up. Wendron are up already but Lizard will depend on whether they can finish fifth. Will the bottom side go down and Illogan? Or, if Lizard dont make the top three, will it just be Illogan going down to be replaced by Wendron? 

1 hour ago, B_D said:

Checked the ruling (I removed the top part of my post shortly afterwards - left the bottom half however). I think that ultimately, this is what Illogan wanted. They gave the swpl a try so good on them I say. 

The thing I'm interested in is what happens at the bottom of the combo - we've got two teams in Wendron and Lizard wanting to go up. Wendron are up already but Lizard will depend on whether they can finish fifth. Will the bottom side go down and Illogan? Or, if Lizard dont make the top three, will it just be Illogan going down to be replaced by Wendron? 

The rules say the top 3 in the Trelawny Premier shall be considered for promotion or the top 4 if one of the top 3 are a Reserve side. Technically Wendron are not a Reserve side as they do not have a team in the Combo at present so can be promoted. St Day Reserves currently in 4th place in the Trelawny will be considered a Reserve side and could not be promoted.

Rule 12E - i. To be eligible for promotion to the Combination League a team must finish the season in one of the top three positions of the Premier Division. In the event of one (or more) Reserve Teams of a Club (or Clubs) in Membership of the Combination League occupy a top three finishing position then the fourth placed Club may be considered for promotion.

I have no idea why I said fifth... Well spotted CTB - my original post has been amended to reflect the correct number of games.

Any idea what will happen to Illogan Reserves? This will obviously be on our meeting agenda for next week as it directly affects us. I'm still very new to this part of the ruling so it's quite foreign ground.

On 06/05/2018 at 12:57, Pitty said:

The question on behalf of holmans, Culdrose & Redruth would be are we fighting to stay out the bottom one or two.......should have an answer by the end of June ???

Should all be quite straightforward Neil.  In simple terms:

1.  Combination Rules allow for a maximum of 20 teams.

2. Combination (Annex B) and Trelawny (12e) Rules cover promotion/relegation and mirror each other.  In simple terms this would mean 2 up 2 down subject to the number of applications and the criteria being met.  I understand that Wendron and Lizard have applied but I'm unaware of whether Lizard have met the ground grading requirements or not.  I assume that they have which would mean that having finished 3rd they and Wendron would be promoted.

3.  Combination (and Trelawny) Rules do not allow 2 teams of the same Club in the same division.

4.  Trelawny Rules (12b) allows for the Premier Division to have an additional team (i.e. comprise 15 teams) due to relegation due to feeder league system rules.

Roll all of this together and you end up with Illogan Firsts, Wendron & Lizard in the Combination and Illogan Reserves plus whoever ends up in the bottom 2 of the Combination in Trelawny Prem.  This would give a Combination of 20 teams and a Trelawny Prem of 15.

At least that's as I understand it - just getting back in the swing.?

As always Steve & John the font of all knowledge (and it’s not even June ?) So 2 down ? thanks for the clarification we all know what we need to do......all 3 sides picking up points and we have culdrose and Illogan last two games!!! Could be an interesting run in

32 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Who knows what will happen. Cornish football is a complete embarrassment at the moment. Don’t think anyone, running any league, knows what’s going to happen. Since the peninsula league was brought in, it has been nothing short of a complete shambles from 1 season to the next. !!!

I could not agree more. The ridiculous fixturing making teams travel very long journeys on bank holidays is ridiculous, no wonder clubs cann ot raise teams for these hideous trips.

The swpl will go down in history as being one of the worse moves in Cornish football.

4 hours ago, zebedee said:

So does that mean it could be 3 clubs down from Combo to Trelawny and 2 up if Lizard finish 3 rd ? 

Assuming Illogan 1sts are accepted into Combo ! 

So Illogan res will go into Trelawny prem as there feeder league to combo ?