Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Imagine you are a team fighting neck and neck for runners-up spot in your league.

You have several games to play, are points behind the team in second but have games in hand but an inferior goal difference.

The league fixture you a double header against a weaker side and you expect to pick up the six points.

The problem is as the runners-up spot might come down to goal difference, so do you defy the league and say you want to play two 90 minute games against the weaker team instead of two 60 minute games because you won't score so many goals?

17 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Imagine you are a team fighting neck and neck for runners-up spot in your league.

You have several games to play, are points behind the team in second but have games in hand but an inferior goal difference.

The league fixture you a double header against a weaker side and you expect to pick up the six points.

The problem is as the runners-up spot might come down to goal difference, so do you defy the league and say you want to play two 90 minute games against the weaker team instead of two 60 minute games because you won't score so many goals?

If it was me I would want to play two 90 minute games against the slightly weaker opposition with the aim of scoring as many goals as possible. However, I'd do this by showing the respect any opposition deserves, weaker or not. I do think that if you finish in the top 3 of any of the 5 Trelawny League divisions then you'll more than likely go up. However, you can't always take that risk. So any team would surely want to finish as high as they can (in this case 2nd place), if they could mathematically do so.