Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Friday 4 May 2018

He is by the far the worst! Constant foul language and abuse. However officials don’t help themselves. Just send him off everytime he swears. Football needs to be more family friendly at this level to stop crowds from declining. 

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

He’s not the only one - every club official does! ?

Really Dave?  

Nobody in local football has the attitude of Darren Gilbert. His reputation goes before him and in the main, he gets away with it. Im not saying he is the only manager to give officials some hounding, be he is definitely the worst.

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Any suggestions to prevent the players shouting out expletives far more often and far louder? ?

As I and many others have said before: There are rules (and a respect agenda) if only the referees would use them. Zero tolerance, player or manager: send them off, they’ll soon learn once the tantrum wears off!

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Any suggestions to prevent the players shouting out expletives far more often and far louder? ?

Easy answer is , get the referees to invoke the EXISTING rule about foul and abusive language both on and off the pitch.
And whilst on that subject, the clubs also have the option of telling foul mouthed supporters to leave the ground ( never going to happen ) as a football ground is  by virtue of charging the public to enter, a designated public place for the duration, and therefore subject to the law of the land, regardless of any rules set by the F.A.
Unpopular as that statement may be with those who support Mr Gilberts outbursts, it is a fact.

Whilst Darren Gilbert has led Bodmin Town to success, his behaviour has been embarrassing, far too often. He knows what he is doing, his intimidation to officials has won his club many points and this has gone on season after season.

Being foul mouthed isn't clever, it simply displays a total lack of breeding!

28 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

As I and many others have said before: There are rules (and a respect agenda) if only the referees would use them. Zero tolerance, player or manager: send them off, they’ll soon learn once the tantrum wears off!

Totally agree, so perhaps the Cornwall Football Association/ Devon Football Association would like to find the necessary spine to start punishing players, officials and supporters for foul and abusive language, along with intimidation of match officials. Let season 2018-19 be the season of RESPECT TO ALL connected to the game.

Unless they have changed the rules since my day of officiating. If u said F that was a straight red card. I got told off once by disaplinary hearing for just booking a player for saying balls to a decision. I should have sent him off. Have they changed the rules????

1 hour ago, paul pearce said:

Unless they have changed the rules since my day of officiating. If u said F that was a straight red card. I got told off once by disaplinary hearing for just booking a player for saying balls to a decision. I should have sent him off. Have they changed the rules????

No rule changes, just officials who don't officiate alledgedly because they may get a bad marking from club officials.

23 minutes ago, We Two said:

No rule changes, just officials who don't officiate alledgedly because they may get a bad marking from club officials.

Exactly what happened a three or four seasons ago when there was a mini clamp down.

Got told this by a Referee, who along with a couple others, stuck to the laws of the game and cards when correctly appropriate.

Next thing they find that their markings are lower than everyone else’s and no promotions likely unless they relented!

Yes! They relented and hey presto, their markings went up! 

36 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Exactly what happened a three or four seasons ago when there was a mini clamp down.

Got told this by a Referee, who along with a couple others, stuck to the laws of the game and cards when correctly appropriate.

Next thing they find that their markings are lower than everyone else’s and no promotions likely unless they relented!

Exactly! It’s a farce really. The problem is there aren’t enough observers around to abolish club marks.

Perhaps a system where ex-players, media and match officials go to games like in the Premier League who mark referees and clubs and are independent of the club is a better route to go down.

39 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Which proves that the marking system is a flawed system and needs to be replaced.  As with players there are good refs and bad refs and there are assessors who can be assigned to consistently low marked referees matches, giving the authorities a more detached opinion of the referees capabilities.    His / Her chances of promotion are then enhanced by a less partisan opinion that that of a frustrated club official.

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

In answer to “Do you always defend Bodmin Dave?“ - no! 

So why no condemnation of Gilbert and his behaviour? Just a simple 'he's not the only one'. Plus you gave no credit to Parkway in your tweets last night, just backed Bodmin the whole way

56 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sadly so true!!! awful I know..