Cornwall Football Forum

Next season Trelawny League structure thoughts

With the SWPL and Combination leagues being restructured, should the Trelawny League follow suit??

here would be my suggestions for next season.....be good to get some thoughts and debate before AGM ?

66 teams currently in 5 divisions and about 5 cup competitions. My suggestion for starters would be;

Only Junior Cup and your own league cup competitions. (Why have so many cups?)

then leagues made up of...

prem - 16

Div 1 - 14

Div 2 - 14

Div 3 - 14

Div 4 - 12 (as might be new teams join)

start league on 19th aug and finish on 12th May (so 38 weekends and potentially 6/8 midweek games spread over start and end of season)

plenty of time to get games in and for games to be spread out enough for referee appointments.

thoughts???? ?

2 hours ago, Fish said:

With the SWPL and Combination leagues being restructured, should the Trelawny League follow suit??

here would be my suggestions for next season.....be good to get some thoughts and debate before AGM ?

66 teams currently in 5 divisions and about 5 cup competitions. My suggestion for starters would be;

Only Junior Cup and your own league cup competitions. (Why have so many cups?)

then leagues made up of...

prem - 16

Div 1 - 14

Div 2 - 14

Div 3 - 14

Div 4 - 12 (as might be new teams join)

start league on 19th aug and finish on 12th May (so 38 weekends and potentially 6/8 midweek games spread over start and end of season)

plenty of time to get games in and for games to be spread out enough for referee appointments.

thoughts???? ?

Any news on the restructure of combination league ? Fully agree with the way you've set out the trewlany leagues fish ?

From Paul Smith earlier today.....

My own comments, not official on behalf of any Association, club or league.
Proposals from the FA about the re-structuring of football in Cornwall.
This WILL be coming in at the end of next season ready for the start of season 2019/20.
It is proposed that the SWPL will consist of 2, 20 team divisions, one covering Devon, one covering Cornwall. All clubs to have floodlights.
Below that.
This will leave 5 SWPL Div 1 West sides to be joined by teams from the ECPL and Combo to form either Cornwall Div 1 West or to some other such name. This Division will consist of 16 clubs. Proposals at present say 5 from current SWPL West, 6 from the Combo and 5 from the ECPL, but this make-up may alter depending which clubs make the ground grading.
Below that.
The ECPL will lose it's Devon sides and become a 16 team league. 
The Combination League will become a 16 team league. 
If 6 Combo clubs move up to the new division it will mean two sides will be promoted from the Trelawny to make up the 16 clubs.
The Combo and Trelawny will not be joining together as originally proposed.
The 6 Combo sides would ideally be the top six at the end of next season but clubs will have the chance to say no they will not "Go up" due to travelling, etc. Clubs finishing further down the table and even Trelawny sides could be asked if they pass the ground grading.
Reserve sides can enter the "new" division, so you could have for example Falmouth Town in the SWPL and their Reserves in the new Div 1 West. 
There will be promotion and relegation between the leagues but as I say to join the SWPL a club must have floodlights. 
No two two sides from the same club in any one division.
We were told if they can not get enough sides to fill the "new" Div 1 West then it might end up with fewer than 16 sides to start with and teams perhaps playing each other three times during the season, as they do in the 
Scottish leagues. 
There are a lot of details to be hammered out yet but basically, one 20 team SWPL Division in each Cornwall and Devon. Below that three "new" 16 club divisions covering Cornwall, West Devon and East Devon. Below that local 16 club leagues such as the ECPL, Combo, Plymouth and District, etc. Below that very local leagues such as The Duchy and Trelawny.

11 hours ago, Mr Bean said:

why have 16 in the prem? if that is the top league in theory they would have and I did say in theory the better JC run so more games for them why not 14 teams and cap it to that unless a team pulls out no new teams etc. 

Main reason for 16 in Prem was to start to bring Prem more in line with Combo league.

14 and less seems to be more youth football than senior football?

with more evening games early in season and at end of season (and also reduction in league competitions) 16 teams is easily achievable ?

It’s all well and good saying start the season earlier - it’s the clubs that decide the start date, not the league. You could start in July if you wanted to!

With regards to evening games, I’m not the Fixtures Secretary but I am sure that this will certainly be looked at.

As for cups, I think the Percy Stephens Cup (all first teams) is a great cup. I also think the divisional cups give the teams like Storm and Madron (absolutely no disrespect here - I’m simply using your teams as examples as they are in the bottom of their respective leagues) a chance to win some silverware when a league title could be out of reach. We do have too many cups, but this is recreational football for lads that play as a hobby... it’s good to have these for them. The one I would personally hold for a season if we were going to hold any would be the Arthur Pearce Cup. 

The above post is purely my opinion and not one of the Trelawny League.

3 minutes ago, B_D said:

It’s all well and good saying start the season earlier - it’s the clubs that decide the start date, not the league. You could start in July if you wanted to!

With regards to evening games, I’m not the Fixtures Secretary but I am sure that this will certainly be looked at.

As for cups, I think the Percy Stephens Cup (all first teams) is a great cup. I also think the divisional cups give the teams like Storm and Madron (absolutely no disrespect here - I’m simply using your teams as examples as they are in the bottom of their respective leagues) a chance to win some silverware when a league title could be out of reach. We do have too many cups, but this is recreational football for lads that play as a hobby... it’s good to have these for them. The one I would personally hold for a season if we were going to hold any would be the Arthur Pearce Cup. 

The above post is purely my opinion and not one of the Trelawny League.

Just for all on here what are all the cups and who are they for?? Thanks 

Would this mean no relegation from the Premier and top 3 sides in Div 1 to make up the 16?

Then Div 1 would need 6 sides promoted from Div 2.

Div 2 would need 7 teams promoted from Div 3.

Div 3 would need 6 promoted from Div 4.

Leaving 7 teams in Div 4, plus 5 'new' sides then needed to make the 12.

On average, do we know how many new sides apply each season? 

Definitely agree with the League Cups being priority and hopefully not cancelled again in future seasons. 

The format of the divisions for next season will not be drawn up until we know exactly what teams are going up to the Combination League, who's coming down from that League and of course, who are joining Division 4. As it stands, I know of 4 teams that are looking to join the League; I'm not sure if Threemilestone still wish to enter another side, if they do, that could potentially become 5 teams. 2 of those are just hear-say at this time. I'm of the understanding that no teams have formally approached the League with an intention to join.

With regards to League structure, we will draw up the plans prior to the AGM and then put it to you guys to decide. We will almost certainly lose a few teams at the end of the season (I know of a few that have already said they will struggle). The AGM will be interesting in this respect.

At the moment, one team will be relegated from the Premier Division, no teams will be relegated from Division One, and one team will be relegated from Division Two. This is due to the withdrawals of Chacewater (x2), Mabe, Trispen and Marazion Blues.

With regards to league structure, it also depends on how many teams our divisions can be made up of. It’s not as easy as saying “16 there, 15 here and 13 there”. It has to run in line with our constitution and ruling.

We have this discussion every season........ the league will want 5 divisions so will allow all the teams in that want to, so they can be seen has having a nice big league....

With this in mind, winters are getting worse, less committed players and most importantly, we don't have enough refs.... but none of things will matter, as long as we have a big league.

Here is what we need to do, create a league structure that allows all teams currently in the league to have a decent size league to play in, we have junior cup so lets create a cup for all teams not in the junior cup............ that's it for cup games......

Lets start the league the earliest we can in August, for all teams that don't share a pitch blah blah blah

I think the main focus should now be to concentrate on quality rather than quantity.... lets try and get a league structure in place that ensures we get the maximum amount of games covered by refs........

so many clubs folded this year because of lack of players........ don't create anymore teams, this means the clubs who were going out with bare 11 or luckily 12 will now be the only clubs players can go to, too many clubs stretches the pool of players we have......

I know not everyone will agree but I personally would like to see no clubs fold next year because of lack of players...... the only way to do this is limit the amount of clubs out there.... so people have to play for a club already in existence.....

Look at the clubs gone with a great structure and facilities...... Trispen, Chacewater, Marazion......

Lets focus on looking after the clubs Cornwall already has, rather than creating new clubs.... lets get grants in place for old clubs struggling with facilities to be able to keep going, we don't need grants for new teams being created, we need funding to keep the clubs in cornwall still operating.......

Just my opinion........

1 hour ago, Portreathlegend said:

We have this discussion every season........ the league will want 5 divisions so will allow all the teams in that want to, so they can be seen has having a nice big league....

With this in mind, winters are getting worse, less committed players and most importantly, we don't have enough refs.... but none of things will matter, as long as we have a big league.

Here is what we need to do, create a league structure that allows all teams currently in the league to have a decent size league to play in, we have junior cup so lets create a cup for all teams not in the junior cup............ that's it for cup games......

Lets start the league the earliest we can in August, for all teams that don't share a pitch blah blah blah

I think the main focus should now be to concentrate on quality rather than quantity.... lets try and get a league structure in place that ensures we get the maximum amount of games covered by refs........

so many clubs folded this year because of lack of players........ don't create anymore teams, this means the clubs who were going out with bare 11 or luckily 12 will now be the only clubs players can go to, too many clubs stretches the pool of players we have......

I know not everyone will agree but I personally would like to see no clubs fold next year because of lack of players...... the only way to do this is limit the amount of clubs out there.... so people have to play for a club already in existence.....

Look at the clubs gone with a great structure and facilities...... Trispen, Chacewater, Marazion......

Lets focus on looking after the clubs Cornwall already has, rather than creating new clubs.... lets get grants in place for old clubs struggling with facilities to be able to keep going, we don't need grants for new teams being created, we need funding to keep the clubs in cornwall still operating.......

Just my opinion........

“the league will want 5 divisions so will allow all the teams in that want to, so they can be seen has having a nice big league....”

The league don’t allow teams in... the clubs do. They are the ones that vote at the AGM.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Teams struggling to fulfil fixtures with no support

No support? What can we do? Create more Saturdays between now and the end of May? Magic up more players to play for teams? There's nothing we can do to help the teams except arrange and rearrange fixtures... We can't extend the season. We can't make people go and play for teams and we can't change the weather!

Genuinely, if you have any ideas on how we can offer the level of support that you're after... Please, come forward with your ideas.