Cornwall Football Forum

i have just been told that mariners away game at newlyn has been postponed,we tryed contacting newlyn in the last hour but no answer so we phoned the ref who luckily was then at the pitch and he told us the game wont be going ahead due to a waterlogged area at one end which is fair enough,just wish we had a bit more notice.any chance of rearranging this week?

2 hours ago, fudge said:

i have just been told that mariners away game at newlyn has been postponed,we tryed contacting newlyn in the last hour but no answer so we phoned the ref who luckily was then at the pitch and he told us the game wont be going ahead due to a waterlogged area at one end which is fair enough,just wish we had a bit more notice.any chance of rearranging this week?

Sometimes it may be better if where council/ leisure centre pitches are involved the pitch owners should make the call nice & early to give all involved plenty of notice. Especially on midweek evening games. Not every ref can get away from work early enough to make the decision.

36 minutes ago, Clubman said:

Sometimes it may be better if where council/ leisure centre pitches are involved the pitch owners should make the call nice & early to give all involved plenty of notice. Especially on midweek evening games. Not every ref can get away from work early enough to make the decision.

yeah totally agree mate.few of our players had to make plans to leave work early etc and couple set out to leave! we actually send a message to newlyn to say the game is off! and we were the away side lol dnt think newlyn got back to us so we notified the league about the postponement

3 hours ago, fudge said:

yeah totally agree mate.few of our players had to make plans to leave work early etc and couple set out to leave! we actually send a message to newlyn to say the game is off! and we were the away side lol dnt think newlyn got back to us so we notified the league about the postponement

Apparently the match official still hasn't had a reply to his email and text message advising the home team that the game was off. Poor management, not surprised though.

Well, it does seem something went amiss here last night, and we need to find out what has happened to the Newlyn NA Club Secretary's PA. I did hear that she lost her Filofax, and of course, this contains the necessary contact details for everything. You would understand this situation. I mean, usually, she mans the desk 24 hours a day to ensure she is on hand to deal with events such as this, a midweek game and inclement weather. The Club Secretary would have been having going through a gentle warm-up routine at the Clubs gym with the players prior to travelling to the ground. If the relevant contact was not made, he would have been unable to give out any instructions.

So, hopefully that explains everything clearly, and we are forgiven. Its not like any of the Newlyn players or club secretary/owner/accountant/manager (both teams) and so on work, and made any special arrangements about leaving work, and have cell phones with 100% signal all the time and are standing ready to use them at any moment for any subject, and were inconvenienced by the late call off. No of course its not like that.

11 minutes ago, Mangle said:

Well, it does seem something went amiss here last night, and we need to find out what has happened to the Newlyn NA Club Secretary's PA. I did hear that she lost her Filofax, and of course, this contains the necessary contact details for everything. You would understand this situation. I mean, usually, she mans the desk 24 hours a day to ensure she is on hand to deal with events such as this, a midweek game and inclement weather. The Club Secretary would have been having going through a gentle warm-up routine at the Clubs gym with the players prior to travelling to the ground. If the relevant contact was not made, he would have been unable to give out any instructions.

So, hopefully that explains everything clearly, and we are forgiven. Its not like any of the Newlyn players or club secretary/owner/accountant/manager (both teams) and so on work, and made any special arrangements about leaving work, and have cell phones with 100% signal all the time and are standing ready to use them at any moment for any subject, and were inconvenienced by the late call off. No of course its not like that.

Rubbish!!! You think you're the only club who plays midweek? You should have this all sorted by now,routines in place in case of a pitch inspection or cancellation, using the excuse 'we all work' may sound justifiable to yourself but it certainly doesn't to everyone else looking in! Foundations clearly not there at, too much too soon for some 'clubs' yet again!! Bring on the AGM!

Lamerton 3-4 Lifton

Defiantly a game of two halves. Lamerton went 3-0 up in the first half. with the long ball causing lifton no end of trouble and a retaken penalty looked to take them out of the game.

However the game changed in the second half, Lifton getting a few injuries meant they needed to reshuffle the pack. They started to press higher up the pitch and stretched a tired looking  Lamerton defence.  Lifton looked like the more likely to score and they did with a back post header from Darren Volz. Volz then turned provider to put in Manager Barry  Rutherford for a Back post header of his own. Volz then doubled his tally with a free kick that went under the Keeper and rounded off his hat trick with a well taken shot in the box.

All in all a good half for each side and a game that may have opened up the title race in duchy 3.

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

Rubbish!!! You think you're the only club who plays midweek? You should have this all sorted by now,routines in place in case of a pitch inspection or cancellation, using the excuse 'we all work' may sound justifiable to yourself but it certainly doesn't to everyone else looking in! Foundations clearly not there at, too much too soon for some 'clubs' yet again!! Bring on the AGM!

So easy to complain when not in full possession of the facts. Calm down and get on with it.

40 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Even though the referee said it was unplayable? Clutching at straws!

no home team would not of turned up i dnt think! they dnt seem to know if they are coming or going down there.They buggered the games up when we were ment to play them back long.They havent even returned our messages.if it wasnt for us phoning the red we wouldnt of known if the game was on or off.

32 minutes ago, Mangle said:

We had a team, and we were going to play the game. The referee called the game off. Not Newlyn. If you have a problem, I suggest you take it up with the referee. Look at the Newlyn track record for calling games off. We don’t.

Wish you had called the game off  before we travelled down from Perranporth to a pitch with standing water that was never going to pass a pitch inspection. But at least now we can play on a nice sunny afternoon in May and have another day out  ?⚽

Newlyn were not there when the game was called off and still haven't acknowledged that they received the referee's email, text message and attempted phone call advising that the game was off. Referee is now considering reporting this lack of communication to the league. There is a thing called Courtesy.

10 hours ago, Mangle said:

I’m not sure “we” can call off a game. It has to be the ref or the council/leisure centre. You didn’t mention that our team was all changed and ready to go for the game. Newlyn wanted to play, again, not called off by Newlyn.

Yes you are correct, and as you previous comment states Newlyn will have an excellent track record for not calling off games as it's not their decison, but maybe it's just a shame that a proactive approach was not adopted to arrange a ref or member of the leisure centre to be contacted to conduct a pitch inspection that morning after a night of rain. 

Apologies if someone had inspected the pitch that morning and deemed the pitch playable.

We also got changed and ready to play, but it simply wasn't safe to do so. 

See you in May ?

Regarding both games, the leisure centre (after many weeks of not allowing football to be played on the pitch) were of the opinion the games could go ahead. This detail was checked by Newlyn in advance to ensure nobody made an unnecessary journey, hence the necessary arrangements were in place for the games. In each case, the referee called the game off. Out of Newlyns control.

In the specific case of Tuesdays midweek game, Newlyn were ready to play. I do not like your insinuating (near libellous) remarks that Newlyn were not there and were not going to be there. I was playing that evening, and had just left work at 5.30pm when I received a text to say the referee had called the game off. I did not go to the pitch, pointless. So as for people not turning up, with a 6.15 ko time, we were informed at 5.30, so I am not surprised that nobody turned up. Although we are not all local to the pitch, I guess we are closer than the opposition so I would not be surprised if they turned up (after already being on the road). It is frustrating, believe me, I can understand that. With regards to courtesy, I take your point, and as I am not involved in communications for the club, I cannot really offer any comments. But I can assure you that our intentions were noble and honest, there were never any plans other than to play the game.