Cornwall Football Forum

Results of Recent Ground Grading inspections

Applications received by January 31st as per relevant league rules:

Step Seven to Step Six: (East & West to Premier)
Crediton United East Division : Passed
Elburton Villa West Division : Passed
Ilfracombe Town East Division : Passed
Liskeard Athletic West Division : Passed
Millbrook West Division : Passed with Dispensation
Mousehole West Division : Passed with Dispensation
Newton Abbot Spurs East Division : Passed
Porthleven West Division : Passed
St Blazey West Division : Failed
St Dennis West Division : Passed with Dispensation
Wadebridge Town West Division : Passed
Wendron United West Division : Passed with Dispensation

Feeder Leagues to Step Seven:
Bere Alston United East Cornwall Premier : Passed
Braunton North Devon League : Passed
Carharrack Cornwall Combination : Failed
Cronies Devon & Exeter League : Passed
Elmore Devon & Exeter League : Passed
Exwick Villa Devon & Exeter League : Passed
Kingsteignton Athletic South Devon League : Passed
Newtown Devon & Exeter League : Passed
Waldon Athletic South Devon League : Passed

Allocation of club from outside the feeder league system:
Torquay United If Seale Hayne : Passed for Step 7 Only.

Premier Division: One club from each of East & West is eligible for promotion each season. The eligible club must pass the ground grading first and then finish within the top 3 places. Should two clubs be eligible for promotion then two clubs will be relegated, if one club then only the bottom side will be relegated. Should a club be promoted to Step 5 then relegation will be reduced, in all cases the side finishing 19th will be reprieved ahead of the side finishing 20th.

If the FA relegate existing Premier clubs that fail to meet Ground standards by March 31st, any additional promotion spaces are likely to be allocated on a points per game basis:
ON THIS POINT TWO CLUBS HAVE PROVIDED DOCUMENTATION TO THE FA TO REMAIN AT STEP SIX – IT IS UPTO THE FA LEAGUES COMMITTEE TO APPROVE THAT & IMPOSE ANY CONDITIONS.

Division One East & West: Up to four clubs are eligible to be promoted each season.
The two Step 7 Divisions currently have 34 clubs in membership, rules allow maximum of 36 so both are currently running one short. If after ground grading and final league positions are known, 4 clubs are acceptable the bottom one in each division will be relegated (normally bottom two but Penryn Athletic & Totnes & Dartington are regarded as the bottom sides as they both withdrew after the AGM. If 2 only clubs are acceptable the bottom side in each division are relegated (Penryn & Totnes) and the sides in 17th are reprieved. If 0 sides are eligible for promotion then there would be no relegation.
If however 1 (bearing in mind current vacancies that would not result in relegation this season) OR 3 sides (which may occur) are eligible and provided the relevant clubs wish to remain in membership they are entitled to a playoff match under the same rules as the league cup final to decide who remains members, (If 3 sides coming up such a game would be 17th v 17th). However, should Plymouth Parkway gain entry to Step 5 then an additional space would become available this season.
IT IS NOT EXPECTED THAT A PLAY OFF FIXTURE WILL BE REQUIRED THIS SEASON.

All clubs are ground graded for the standards required and these must be in place by the 31st March. After the ground visits the clubs will be informed if they are acceptable or not. Those that are acceptable ground wise will then be ranked based on final league positions to determine who are offered places.
With 9 applicants from 5 different feeder leagues it is worthwhile making the following comments:
1) Only clubs who achieve a ground grading are acceptable
2) Only one club per feeder league can be accepted
3) Clubs must finish in the Top two of their league (clubs finishing 3rd can only fill vacancies).
4) In the event of more than two clubs remaining eligible the next determining factor is league position. The rules state the Champion club of any 1 feeder is ranked higher than a Runner Up. No difference is afforded to the perceived strength of one league over another.
5) In the event of more than 4 clubs achieving the ground standards and finishing in the same position the board at its May meeting will vote on who to accept, those tied clubs will be invited to make representation prior to any vote. (THIS CANNOT HAPPEN THIS SEASON AS ONLY CLUBS FROM 4 DIFFERENT FEEDERS HAVE PASSED THE GRADING).

Philip Hiscox (Company Secretary)

Assuming Stoke Gabriel (no lights) one of the two prem clubs - who is the other - is it Falmouth as issue over ground move etc?

Any ideas why St Blazey failed - they have stand / lights / toilets etc - used to be one of top teams and now??

Having visited Carharrack, I thought they were heading in the right direction. 

Not certain Mr Justice how the new setup will help - in 2019/20, there will be a need for 7-8 West clubs to go into Prem and there will probably be enough, but will also require 10 or so from Combo /ECPL to go into Step 7 Cornwall - allowing for all the Reserve teams (as I gather they will now be allowed) - who else is going to want / has facilities to join Step 7?

so many questions!!

5 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Not certain Mr Justice how the new setup will help - in 2019/20, there will be a need for 7-8 West clubs to go into Prem and there will probably be enough, but will also require 10 or so from Combo /ECPL to go into Step 7 Cornwall - allowing for all the Reserve teams (as I gather they will now be allowed) - who else is going to want / has facilities to join Step 7?

so many questions!!

Exactly Bob! There's still going to be Cornish clubs needing to aspire to Step 7 requirements. Maybe it will consist nearly completely of Reserve sides with the small handful of current SWPL D1W that won't qualify for Step 6 consideration?

2018-19, for sure, is going to be an interesting season  (let's hope the rain doesn't spoil it!).

Was one of the St Blazey's issues having to tarmac the car park inside the ground? 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Exactly Bob! There's still going to be Cornish clubs needing to aspire to Step 7 requirements. Maybe it will consist nearly completely of Reserve sides with the small handful of current SWPL D1W that won't qualify for Step 6 consideration?

2018-19, for sure, is going to be an interesting season  (let's hope the rain doesn't spoil it!).

Was one of the St Blazey's issues having to tarmac the car park inside the ground? 

Certainly any unbound material within a ground is an issue which the FA insists causes a failure for promotion to Step 6.

33 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Certainly any unbound material within a ground is an issue which the FA insists causes a failure for promotion to Step 6.

RIDICULOUS - WHAT BRAIN CAN THINK OF SUCH A THING, OH SORRY IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WITHIN THE FA OR CORNWALL FA !

2 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Assuming Stoke Gabriel (no lights) one of the two prem clubs - who is the other - is it Falmouth as issue over ground move etc?

Any ideas why St Blazey failed - they have stand / lights / toilets etc - used to be one of top teams and now??

Having visited Carharrack, I thought they were heading in the right direction. 

so many questions!!

St Blazeys ground is in much better condition than Falmouths ground and all the floodlights work ! 

2 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Behave! That was more a result of the weather conditions and the damage caused rather than the floodlights simply "not working"

Damage couldn’t have been that bad as the game was played next day. I’m not saying that it was the fault of Falmouth just stating a game was off due to floodlights.

Likely Elmore, Braunton + one from South Devon will be promoted.

Bere Alston seemly won't finish top two being blocked by reserve teams so won't go up. They would finish top two if they switched to P&WD!

Therefore no relegation from SWP East or West is my bet, with Parkway promoted making three vacancies. Avoids the dreaded East / West bottom placed playoff to determine the worst loser.

Only issue will be 16 clubs lying in West Division and 20 in East. No obvious candidates in Devon to switch west.

2 hours ago, skippy said:

Bere Austin seemly won't finish top two being blocked by reserve teams so won't go up. They would finish top two if they switched to P&WD!

Therefore no relegation from SWP East or West is my bet, with Parkway promoted making three vacancies. Avoids the dreaded East / West bottom placed playoff to determine the worst loser.

Only issue will be 16 clubs lying in West Division and 20 in East. No obvious candidates in Devon to switch west.

Aren't Illogan withdrawing?

6 hours ago, jefferson hog said:

Bere Alston can finish third and be promoted but only to fill a vacancy if there is one 

Yep, but as it currently stands the 3 vacancies will be filled by teams finishing top two, meaning Bere and Torquay missing out. I gather Illogan are no longer intending to withdraw.

Is it correct that St Blazey will not be in the F.A Vase next season?

St Blazey either have to tarmac the car park or build a fence so no one could watch from their cars anymore. The best bit is the fence dosnt have to be that high so anyone could still throw loose gravel over it. But having watched over 600 St Blazey matches, not once have i or anyone else been searched for Knives, Bottles, Smoke bombs etc. I dont think a fence will be stopping any trouble. Crazy. 

9 hours ago, Paul said:

St Blazey either have to tarmac the car park or build a fence so no one could watch from their cars anymore. The best bit is the fence dosnt have to be that high so anyone could still throw loose gravel over it. But having watched over 600 St Blazey matches, not once have i or anyone else been searched for Knives, Bottles, Smoke bombs etc. I dont think a fence will be stopping any trouble. Crazy. 

These elusive stone throwers that the FA are so concerned about could have had a field day down at Mousehole last night! ?

10 hours ago, Paul said:

This is why St Austell had to erect various fences before the FA Vase semi.....ground perfectly ok for the q/f with a crowd of 1400+ but suddenly it's dangerous for the semi due to potential stone throwers.....despite the fact that a 5/6 foot high fence doesn't stop you lobbing stones over if you feel so inclined. 

Sure every club would gladly tarmac all car park/standing areas to improve facilities if they could afford to. Maybe they could share out some of £3m earmarked for the white elephant being proposed near Truro :o

Could St Blazey have possibly failed on changing rooms?  I read somewhere that they must be of a certain size.  Their away changing rooms are smaller than my bathroom!  Callington I believe have just had to put in fencing by the top car park by the clubhouse and tarmac the main entrance by the changing rooms to make the grade.  The place has taken a massive overhaul in the last 3 or 4 years and now looks great!

1 hour ago, Tony said:

This is why St Austell had to erect various fences before the FA Vase semi.....ground perfectly ok for the q/f with a crowd of 1400+ but suddenly it's dangerous for the semi due to potential stone throwers.....despite the fact that a 5/6 foot high fence doesn't stop you lobbing stones over if you feel so inclined. 

Sure every club would gladly tarmac all car park/standing areas to improve facilities if they could afford to. Maybe they could share out some of £3m earmarked for the white elephant being proposed near Truro :o

That's a splendid idea -  a complete waste of taxpayers money !

22 hours ago, skippy said:

Bere Alston seemly won't finish top two being blocked by reserve teams so won't go up. They would finish top two if they switched to P&WD!

How about change division ones to three leagues of 12. Each team playing each other home and away then split them in half with the top 6 playing one another again and likewise the bottom 6. Bit like they do in Scotland.

On 19/04/2018 at 00:31, Sticker Forever said:

Absolute load of crap ain’t it! Blaise Park still one of the top grounds in the county!! You telling me Millbrook got better facilities than St. Blazey!? Barking ???

I agree a very strange decision at St Blazey as stones are an issue at Mousehole, Jenkins Park, Millbrook is improving after a lot of hard work and with grants in place provided promotion is achieved will see the ground meet all criteria, we have had to jump through every hoop at this stage So we were as surprised as you regarding St Blazey.

47 minutes ago, Hands like shovels said:

I agree a very strange decision at St Blazey as stones are an issue at Mousehole, Jenkins Park, Millbrook is improving after a lot of hard work and with grants in place provided promotion is achieved will see the ground meet all criteria, we have had to jump through every hoop at this stage So we were as surprised as you regarding St Blazey.

Falmouths car park is loose material of stones etc.

17 minutes ago, panda said:

Don't buy carp shoes?

Or even crap shoes!!!

If you're wearing carp shoes make sure they have thick soles and eels.

If after promotion and relegation there is still a vacancy and Torquay fill it. Will they have to go into West Division with another south Devon based club or will 2 from the north move across, say Torridgeside and Appledore.