Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Thursday 12 April 2018

Very very disappointed to see some of the comments made towards Reg Hambly on twitter this afternoon regarding their postponement against St.Austell tonight. YES players partake in Banter online/twitter but for the St.Austell manager to go on there & try & belittle a man of Reg Hamblys calibre after all he has given to Cornish football really annoys me. Offering to stage the game at Poltair, give them the gate money, fill up their water bottles etc shows real inexperience in my eyes. Virtually accusing Reg of cheating & calling the game off intentionally. Anyone who knows Reg or any of the committee at Trefew Park will no they are very honest & hardworking bunch. :excl:

Leeds - for once I am in total agreement with you. I know for a fact that Reg, committee members, ground staff and players have been working on the pitch every day, last week and this to get games played. As well as forking, repairing ‘divots’ and applying sand, the ground has been too soft for any machinery and ground staff have being going up the middle of the field with wooden planks to try and flatten out damage caused after the Newquay game. 

Every effort was made to play the game and most importantly Camelford wanted to play the game - why wouldn’t they, they had a full squad, more than just comfortably beat Newquay and need to get games played (more so than St Austell).

The ground was still exceptionally soft and whilst Reg would have given it a go, the club rightly followed SWPL guidance and sought a referee inspection - as none was available to attend - the match Ref was sent a video (as was done on Monday prior to the Newquay game) of the entire pitch - the Ref stated he felt it was too soft / waterlogged and was unsafe. He was asked whether he would change his mind but stated he would not and if he attended and his shoe sank into the ground (which it would of all over the pitch) he would call off - I’m sure St Austell would not have seen the funny side of that, especially after the officials called off the last game just prior to ko.

I hope comments made were not representative of a great club like St Austell - everybody is frustrated about this and the other 600 postponements - but don’t blame other teams, without any foundation. 

25 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Leeds - for once I am in total agreement with you. I know for a fact that Reg, committee members, ground staff and players have been working on the pitch every day, last week and this to get games played. As well as forking, repairing ‘divots’ and applying sand, the ground has been too soft for any machinery and ground staff have being going up the middle of the field with wooden planks to try and flatten out damage caused after the Newquay game. 

Every effort was made to play the game and most importantly Camelford wanted to play the game - why wouldn’t they, they had a full squad, more than just comfortably beat Newquay and need to get games played (more so than St Austell).

The ground was still exceptionally soft and whilst Reg would have given it a go, the club rightly followed SWPL guidance and sought a referee inspection - as none was available to attend - the match Ref was sent a video (as was done on Monday prior to the Newquay game) of the entire pitch - the Ref stated he felt it was too soft / waterlogged and was unsafe. He was asked whether he would change his mind but stated he would not and if he attended and his shoe sank into the ground (which it would of all over the pitch) he would call off - I’m sure St Austell would not have seen the funny side of that, especially after the officials called off the last game just prior to ko.

I hope comments made were not representative of a great club like St Austell - everybody is frustrated about this and the other 600 postponements - but don’t blame other teams, without any foundation. 

They probably are representative.

First of all , never once mentioned Reg who I know very well - pathetic post , 2 offer of our ground  was AND the gate receipts was an offer to help them (and us) out with getting games played which we all want . I do like this forum and was only too happy to contribute to keep it running as there are a lot of good people who come on and are interested in football thoughout the county , sadly people who are not man enough even to post their own names let it down . 

Anyone who knows me or has ever met me will tell you the last thing I'm interested in is offending other people or teams , we were desperate to play , that's it . 

Have enjoyed managing in this league this season , some really nice people at the various clubs and been a great experience , sadly in sport as with anything in life there are always people who try and put a negative spin on things . 

No no offence intended whatsoever , nothing but respect for Reg and camelford which by the way he already knows . 

Good luck to all the teams for the rest of the season . 

11 hours ago, Knighter said:

First of all , never once mentioned Reg who I know very well - pathetic post , 2 offer of our ground  was AND the gate receipts was an offer to help them (and us) out with getting games played which we all want . I do like this forum and was only too happy to contribute to keep it running as there are a lot of good people who come on and are interested in football thoughout the county , sadly people who are not man enough even to post their own names let it down . 

Anyone who knows me or has ever met me will tell you the last thing I'm interested in is offending other people or teams , we were desperate to play , that's it . 

Have enjoyed managing in this league this season , some really nice people at the various clubs and been a great experience , sadly in sport as with anything in life there are always people who try and put a negative spin on things . 

No no offence intended whatsoever , nothing but respect for Reg and camelford which by the way he already knows . 

Good luck to all the teams for the rest of the season . 

Out of you’re depth me old mucker 

15 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Very very disappointed to see some of the comments made towards Reg Hambly on twitter this afternoon regarding their postponement against St.Austell tonight. YES players partake in Banter online/twitter but for the St.Austell manager to go on there & try & belittle a man of Reg Hamblys calibre after all he has given to Cornish football really annoys me. Offering to stage the game at Poltair, give them the gate money, fill up their water bottles etc shows real inexperience in my eyes. Virtually accusing Reg of cheating & calling the game off intentionally. Anyone who knows Reg or any of the committee at Trefew Park will no they are very honest & hardworking bunch. :excl:

Handy bit of banter there ahead of your game with the lillywhites on Saturday Leeds!

34 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Handy bit of banter there ahead of your game with the lillywhites on Saturday Leeds!

Be a very tough game for Bodmin, after Saltash, & Parkway in the last 7 days 

Again, its just the way cards have been dealt with this bad weather, looking forward to season finishing really, as these fixtures are totally un-avoidable due to so many postponements but totally unrealistic to play those three sides ( Saltash, Parkway & St.Austell ) in 7 days. 

Wasn't banter, just felt the way some of the Camelford lads were made out to of instigated the postponement on Twitter made me cross, specially after they worked hard during the day to get their game played! 

30 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

but totally unrealistic to play those three sides ( Saltash, Parkway & St.Austell ) in 7 days. 

This Past Week

Saltash Played  -  Tavi, St Austell and Bodmin in 5 days took 7 points  ( Thursday - Saturday - Monday ) 

Parkway played  - Argyle, Falmouth Bodmin in 7 days took 5 points  ( Thursday - Saturday - Wednesday ) 

Bodmin Played Saltash and Parkway in 3 days  took 1 point  ( Monday - Wednesday ) 

I think you have to stop feeling so hard done by, every club is in the same boat, you just have to knuckle down and get on with it. 

Ivybridge vs Sticker

Ivybridge 2 - 1 Sticker

Sticker had by far the better of the play in the 1st half, with Ivybridge players looking tired and giving the ball away far to easy and far to often, which put them under massive pressure, the only surprise was, it took the visitors 35 mins to open the scoring. Ivybridge had a player booked within the first 3 mins, which could have been a red, but yellow it was. 

Sticker deservedly went into the half time break leading 0 - 1

HT 0 - 1

2nd half was much the same as the 1st half, however, fair play to the Ivybridge players, they never dropped their heads and battled and fought to stay in the match, both keepers were kept busy, especially the Sticker keeper making 2 outstanding saves.

Ivybridge finally got their reward for their efforts, with Joe Truelove shooting in from close range under the keepers legs.  Ivybridge grew in confidence and was helped by the straight red card for a Stricker player on the hour. Down to 10 men Sticker dug in deep defended well and still caused a few problems for Ivybrigde.

With 10 mins remaining the pressure placed on the Stricker defence, a great short through ball by Joe Truelove into the path of the Steve Sutton, coming on as sub, cutting across the keeper and planting the ball into the onion bag, for Ivybridge to take the lead, which never looked likely going on their display for the first 59 mins.

Sticker will be asking themselves, how they haven't gone away with at least a point if not all 3!

FT

Ivybridge 2 -1 Sticker