Cornwall Football Forum

MORTGAGE ADVICE BUREAU ECPL Fixtures Saturday 7th April

MORTGAGE ADVICE BUREAU ECPL Fixtures Saturday 7th April

Roy Radford Division One Cup semi final

Lanreath 3 Morwenstow  1 (Lanreath will play either Wadebridge Town or St Minver in final)

Premier Division 

Bere Alston United v Plymouth Parkway (Postponed)

Liskeard Athletic v Tavistock (Postponed)

Pensilva 0 Callington Town 2

Plymstock United v Polperro (Postponed)

St Austell v Saltash United (Postponed)

St Stephens Borough 9 St Blazey 1

Division One 

Elburton Villa v Padstow United (Postponed)

Lakeside Athletic v Wadebridge Town (Postponed)

Mevagissey v St Minver (Postponed)

Newquay 2 St Teath 2

This is our 4th game in 7 days that's been postponed. Every time we've offered to play on 3G and get turned down. Offering clubs on a daily basis to get a game played and being told no. Then those clubs are moaning on Twitter / forums / to the league about the amount of games left to play. Baffling ! 

31 minutes ago, MattP said:

Plymstock v Polperro off. 

Weather is unbelievable- time to start thinking about knocking the season on the head?!

Completely agree, some cases I think it’s far to easy to call games off when certain first team are playing and the reserves get itchy feet and panick and call games off, this is a farce this league sometimes.

Just now, Devon29 said:

This is our 4th game in 7 days that's been postponed. Every time we've offered to play on 3G and get turned down. Offering clubs on a daily basis to get a game played and being told no. Then those clubs are moaning on Twitter / forums / to the league about the amount of games left to play. Baffling ! 

Saltash have you offered them?

5 minutes ago, Unknown20 said:

Completely agree, some cases I think it’s far to easy to call games off when certain first team are playing and the reserves get itchy feet and panick and call games off, this is a farce this league sometimes.

Will try them now - though it took nearly a week to agree on a date for the cup semi final so not holding my breath !

4 minutes ago, Devon29 said:

Will try them now - though it took nearly a week to agree on a date for the cup semi final so not holding my breath !

Well maybe it’s because they’ve got 15 league games to fit in and also in both cups with the season finishing next month I’m sure they tried to find a solution to sort both parties.

Just now, Unknown20 said:

Well maybe it’s because they’ve got 15 league games to fit in and also in both cups with the season finishing next month I’m sure they tried to find a solution to sort both parties.

Sorry my mistake 13 league games

4 minutes ago, Unknown20 said:

Well no, apparently half your squad arranged a stag weekend and can't play on the 14th as scheduled 

18 minutes ago, Unknown20 said:

I wasn’t suggesting anything underhand from Plymstock, one of our lads was there yesterday and they were working hard on their pitch in the hope of getting it on. I just wonder how teams will fulfill all their fixtures. 

I can’t see how all the fixtures can be done . It probably is time for some sensible decisions . What they are haven’t got a clue . Very hard for everyone . 

Only a suggestion but maybe ecpl could now hold meeting propose regional divisions for next season and get that agreed . That would result in no promotion for this season . New divisions formed east and west split as proposed previously .. Agree the rule changes for cups etc which would be not to hard . That would leave cup completions and divisional champion for this season to be sorted .

17 minutes ago, kitbag said:

I can’t see how all the fixtures can be done . It probably is time for some sensible decisions . What they are haven’t got a clue . Very hard for everyone . 

Only a suggestion but maybe ecpl could now hold meeting propose regional divisions for next season and get that agreed . That would result in no promotion for this season . New divisions formed east and west split as proposed previously .. Agree the rule changes for cups etc which would be not to hard . That would leave cup completions and divisional champion for this season to be sorted .

Regional divisions won't affect teams calling their pitches out. Won't make a bit of difference to the weather. No forward thinking of more mid week fixtures in August / September and maybe if cup games are called off they have to play on 3G would help ! 

The Fred Binks cup final was going to be at Easter - we haven't played the 1st round yet ! 

31 minutes ago, Unknown20 said:

Offered the mighty Saltash to a game today - they have politely declined ! ?

31 minutes ago, kitbag said:

Regional divisions won’t make any difference - the two divisions are already pretty much regionalised now.

I would rather see all reserve teams in one division, no promotion to worry about until first teams are two divisions ahead. All non-reserve teams in another division to allow clearer progression without first team players having the influence they do now. 

That said, it won’t stop the rain. 

36 minutes ago, MattP said:

Regional divisions won’t make any difference - the two divisions are already pretty much regionalised now.

I would rather see all reserve teams in one division, no promotion to worry about until first teams are two divisions ahead. All non-reserve teams in another division to allow clearer progression without first team players having the influence they do now. 

That said, it won’t stop the rain. 

Matt, Genuine question as you have mentioned this a few times in the past few weeks.  Where do you see "clear progression?" what is the next step?  Are reserve sides really holding you back? Arguably teams in Div 1 West (if that would be the plan) would be stronger now than a reserve side with 2/3/4 of their first team dropping in.  I completely agree with the anomoly that was the league game of Parkway vs Polperro where 8 1st team played and in retrospect can understand your frustration.  But I can't think (with respect) that the other reserve sides this season would have put as many players in and if they did were a huge amount stronger.  Not forgetting our actual reserve side did also play and win at your ground earlier in the season.  Which leads to - is your ground ready to go up?

Please don't think I am being facetious here, and I certainly admire your ambition but I dont think teams having a reserve side in the ECPL is the reason your side isnt where you would like it to be. 

Liskeard v tavi off . 13 games to fit in before end of season works out about 3 games a week and with some games being midweek and away to clubs without floodlights means 630 ko time not easy to get a team there for that time when most people work till 5 or 6 the. Got to travel to game .. can see more games off during the week with current forecast too 

I would say we aren’t ready, no, but we MAY have a desire and an ability to in a season or so. On the pitch this year has been our weakest for a number of seasons.  Whilst the game at your place was something of a farce, it’s by no means the first time we have faced a team strengthened by players from first teams or other clubs’ first teams. We have sometimes seen this as a compliment, but it has become very frustrating to those of us who choose not to do it. It hasn’t stopped us getting promotion, but we have lost 3 games this year that we might otherwise have made a closer fight of, as have others. Whilst no rules are broken, it does the league no favours in my opinion. Where is the next Godolphin, St Dennis, etc, who have progressed admirably, coming from if the league is won by a reserve team strengthening when they need to? That said, if Saltash win the league this year they will have done it on merit, with a consistent squad. 

I don’t want to bang on about the subject, it’s a game of opinions and some want localised leagues with no travelling, others want a cap on the number of SWPL players, my desire is for a level playing field where each team has a squad that they stick to and the best “regular” team wins. I don’t see it ever happening. What the FA want will happen above our league and the ECPL will stay as it is. 

On 07/04/2018 at 13:14, MattP said:

I would say we aren’t ready, no, but we MAY have a desire and an ability to in a season or so. On the pitch this year has been our weakest for a number of seasons.  Whilst the game at your place was something of a farce, it’s by no means the first time we have faced a team strengthened by players from first teams or other clubs’ first teams. We have sometimes seen this as a compliment, but it has become very frustrating to those of us who choose not to do it. It hasn’t stopped us getting promotion, but we have lost 3 games this year that we might otherwise have made a closer fight of, as have others. Whilst no rules are broken, it does the league no favours in my opinion. Where is the next Godolphin, St Dennis, etc, who have progressed admirably, coming from if the league is won by a reserve team strengthening when they need to? That said, if Saltash win the league this year they will have done it on merit, with a consistent squad. 

I don’t want to bang on about the subject, it’s a game of opinions and some want localised leagues with no travelling, others want a cap on the number of SWPL players, my desire is for a level playing field where each team has a squad that they stick to and the best “regular” team wins. I don’t see it ever happening. What the FA want will happen above our league and the ECPL will stay as it is. 

There will always be a debate about this and I totally agree with you that it does hamper teams in the league who haven’t got that opportunity to bring in more experienced players and sometimes I feel the teams who can, do use it as an advantage in the bigger games. Yes your quite right if Saltash do Win it they’ll do that with the same squad the whole season without ringers.