Cornwall Football Forum

Truro's first defeat of the season

Guest tom@white tigers

Guest tom@white tigers

Attendance today 451.

Still 10 points ahead with +52 GD and 48 points.

Welton Rovers 0-0 Bideford

Frome Town 0-0 Chard Town

Melksham Town 2-6 Dawlish Town

1. Truro City 48 pts

2. Welton Rovers 38

3. Corsham Town 37

4. Frome Town 36

5. Dawlish Town 35

Fair play to Corsham - they had obviously done their homework and they came to Treyew Road with a game-plan that worked.

City now have two equally hard games ahead of them in the next week - away at Dawlish on Boxing Day and home to 2nd placed Welton on Saturday 29th.

Lose another one and the chasing pack will start to get excited.!

As others have said, not the end of the world for City but what was disappointing was the manner of the defeat and the lack of creativity and power in attack as well as some very poor defending.

Some of the distribution from the back was shocking and again the three at the back left Truro exposed several times against the swift counter-attackiing of Corsham with a striker whose pace and movement were excellent.

I couldn't understand why Matthews was left out after a man of the match perfomance the previous week and the strikers played too deep with the midfield men not willing to run beyond them into the box often enough.

I'm sure this performance was a one-off and that City will achieve their aims this season. However there are clearly lessons to be learned for the future and management need to be more prepared to react, making changes in personnel and tactics, in response to what's happening on the pitch on the day.

Good luck for the rest of the season and Happy Christmas!

Guest Sullivan

Truro didn't do anything major to lose the game it just wasn't their day. They had 6 or 7 good opportunties, and Corsham made 3 or 4 quick breaks and Truro paid for it. Yetton was quiet which made a big difference in the attacking abilities of Truro. A championship winning side has to expect to lose every now and then, 3 or 4 losses in a season will still win you the league as long as you don't draw loads. The league is still Truro's to lose but that ain't gonna happen. Truro all the way baby!

The idea for visiting teams in recent weeks seems to be pack the 18 yard box,and hope we get lucky on the counter,and if we do lose it wont be by a big score.Yesterday City controled the game and Corsham got lucky on the counter.They had a game plan and stuck to it.In defense too much was left to Tom Smith,and Jake Ash was sorely missed.

KIT.

I think the result should be put in perspective. This was a team costing hundreds beating a team costing thousands. Yes it was just one defeat and probably Truro may not lose another league match all season, but what it does show is that a team in the process of rebuilding and without last season’s top scorer Toby Colbourne was able to achieve this result. I think that was their 14th match without defeat so they are a team in form.

This isn’t a knock at Truro and it is only one match but something more than money makes a team and with the club intending to go full time next season - are the players who will not take the step up and I assume there are many, just going to see out the season before they leave.

Next season will be the critical point in the clubs recent successful history. It will mean many newcomers, a new manager and obviously a new system of play. The question is can Truro recover from this defeat quickly as I understand they are at Dawlish Town on Boxing Day and it is a must win game or people will turn on them big time. I’m sure Leonard will have them up for it, let’s hope they can recover with a win.

Guest plainmoor

Shock horror!

Hold the front page!

Everyone in Truro close your living room curtains!

Listening to bbc radio cornwall, you'd have thought that this was the biggest news since Diana's death, especially that silly mare who quoted ' the unbeatable have been beaten' at the end of the day it's 11 v 11, it may be the first and the last defeat this season it may not, Truro will go up and Truro will get beaten again and bbc cornwall will continue to broadcast tripe 9 times out of 10, there are things in life you can be certain of, nothing is guarenteed, you win some you lose some 5hit happens report the positives and not the negatives.

Good luck for the future.

Guest Urban Spaceman

Truro are playing at Southern Premier League level already

tom@whitetigers truro are paying at southern premier league level but still playing in the western league

Truro are playing at Southern Premier League level already.

If you truly believe this, you are deluding yourselves. While Truro are far too good for most of the teams in the Western League Premier, with their current squad I would be surprised to see them in the play-off positions in the South/West Division of the Southern League, let alone compete in the Premier Division.

Still, it won't be their current squad (well not all of them anyway) that will be competing at Southern League level anyway.

--

Richard

It was a fascinating game for the neutral or new Truro initiate, a frustrating game for the Truro faithful. What I saw was a bit of a blip, that's all. Truro were plainly the better side technically but Corsham kept to their game plan and struck lucky, and well done to them. We've all played in games we should have won, but lost; and in games we should have lost, but won. That's the beauty of the game. Upsets happen so much more frequently than in rugby so the unpredictability adds that something extra. Look back at the Bath game. Truro might well have won that. The most promising point for the Truro faithful to take on board is that Dave Leonard, like many of us, would have seen what wasn't being done right in a rare tight game and can therefore further improve the tactical nous of his squad. Time to worry when you don't think the team can be made to play any better!

Truro 's unbeaten Western League run comes to an end .

Are Falmouth the only club to complete the top tier of the Western League unbeaten? (1974-75)

Perhaps Richard Rundle could research.

Just had a look at the Corsham site-sheer delight from the manager Mel Gingell who said it was his best day ever in football and the best day in Corsham's history,just like winning the FA Cup.

A bit OTT me thinks.

Thanks Richard-Does that mean Falmouth were the first W.L. top Div.club to go unbeaten?

1974-75 P40 W31 D9 GF122-GA26 Pts.102

Looking at the league table that season it is interesting to see the number of clubs which have since progressed from the Western League.

Bridgwater Town,Chippenham Town,Clevedon Town,Mangotsfield United,Paulton Rovers,Taunton Town,Tiverton Town and Weston Super-mare.

Some major clubs there and quite an honourable achievement to finish above them.

Wishing all forum members a happy festive season and good health for the New year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Richard-Does that mean Falmouth were the first W.L. top Div.club to go unbeaten?

1974-75 P40 W31 D9 GF122-GA26 Pts.102

Full list of Western league unbeaten seasons

1897-98 Amateur Division 2 - Hanham (only 6 teams)

1899-00 Division 2 - Bristol East (only 5 teams, runnners-up Staple Hill also undefeated)

1904-05 Division 2 - Bristol Rovers reserves

1910-11 Single Division - Bristol City reserves

1949-50 Division 3 - Bideford

1965-66 Single Division - Welton Rovers

1974-75 Single Division - Falmouth Town

1992-93 Premier Division - Clevedon Town

1993-94 Premier Division - Tiverton Town

1997-98 Premier Division - Tiverton Town

1999-00 Division One - Devizes Town

--

Richard

Thanks again Richard,

I have logged your information and researched the club records.

Going back to 1974-75 Falmouth began their Western League adventure on 17-8-74 at Ladysmead ,Tiverton with a fortunate 2-2 draw.It was substitute and player/manager Richard Gray who rescued the game with two goals.

The next defeat in a Western League match for Falmouth was in the 1975-76 season on New Years Day 1976 again at Tiverton Town losing 4-3.

The Falmouth W.L. record was P53 W43 D10 GF 173-GA 39

Not sure if this was a W League record at the time as Welton Rovers went unbeaten in season 1965-66 but during three seasons 1992-5 Tiverton Town completed a 59 match run which I am sure is the Western League unbeaten record.