Cornwall Football Forum

Fixture congestion correpondance with the FA!

Although expecting it to be a waste of time, nevertheless I thought I would write to the FA! This was my email sent Wednesday with subsequent replies etc...

I write with concern about the ever-growing problem with fixture congestion in the South West Peninsula League.

This area of England has suffered for months and months now due to the incessant wet weather experienced and even today, in April which some are calling Spring, we are still having games called off due to waterlogged pitches. The Met Office has confirmed that Devon was the wettest county in March; it's 4th wettest on record with 192.5 mm while Cornwall was 2nd wettest with 180 mm. Overall 11 stations broke their rainfall records in March!

It has been so much worse than normal, with already over 550 games having to be re-arranged, meaning with the deadline imposed by yourselves to complete the league by the first week of May, some clubs still have 15 games to fit in. As an example this is one club’s fixture list left:-

04 Apr   19:30     Away                                    

07 Apr   15:00     Home                   

10 Apr   19:30     Away                    

12 Apr   19:30     Home   

14 Apr   15:00     Home                                   

18 Apr   19:30     Away                                    

23 Apr   19:30     Home                                   

25 Apr   19:30     Home                                   

26 Apr   19:30     Away                    

28 Apr   15:00     Away                                    

30 Apr   19:30     Home                                   

02 May 19:30     Home                                   

04 May 19:30     Home                                   

05 May 15:00     Home                                   

07 May 14:00     Home                   

Why, when there are no play-off concerns for this league, when clubs are folding, when lower Step football needs the help from the FA – why is there no hint of compassion being shown to try and avert this mad situation of so many games in such a short period. We are told that leagues have approached the FA and you have no sympathy at all to look at the possibility of extending the season. Many people are already disillusioned by the powers to be in the FA, its no wonder when this sort of approach would appear to have been  totally snubbed.

Yours sincerely

Dave Deacon

FIRST REPLY RECEIVED TODAY

Sent: Friday, April 6, 2018 3:19 PM
To: davedeacs@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: FIXTURE CONGESTION

Good afternoon Dave

The people you have been discussing this with are wide of the mark. Leagues within the NLS have applied for extensions and these have been duly responded to.

To clarify, the position is: 

Step Level

Fixtures affecting promotion or relegation

All other fixtures

Monday 7 May

Saturday 12 May

Saturday 12 May

Saturday 19 May

Regards

Matt

I responded:-

Thanks for your reply.

However, you must admit five days as an extension is not particularly generous and unfortunately it makes the FA seem as if they are not really interested in football at this level.

Wouldn’t it have been great for the FA to show some compassion! It would have been a great opportunity for you to have shown the footballing non-league public that you actually do care about the whole game!

In extreme weather conditions experienced this season, with Cornwall and Devon being confirmed as the wettest in the whole of the country, when the league in question has no play-offs to fit in, why has every league got to finish at the same time?

Regards

Dave Deacon

Matt's further reply:-

Hi Dave

The extension is a 7 day one (for both Steps 6 and 7), although I accept that this is only two days more than the 5 you refer to.

The reason for the short extension is owing to the time required to formulate the constitution of divisions for the following season. This is particularly challenging given the amount of movement required and the unknown nature of how many clubs will be promoted and relegated this season – this is because of the 2 new divisions at Steps 3 and 4, and the 2 new divisions at Step 6.

The FA is fully committed to the National League System and I am sure Phil Hiscox would second that.

The problem should not arise, certainly not as frequently, moving forward as the FA are reducing the sizes of divisions moving forward.

Kind regards

Matt

At least you asked the question Dave , still piss poor from the FA though but not unexpected, they don’t have a clue about football at this level or the distances involved for travelling for clubs , either that or the just don’t care contrary to what they say .

21 minutes ago, Soccerkid said:

At least you asked the question Dave , still piss poor from the FA though but not unexpected, they don’t have a clue about football at this level or the distances involved for travelling for clubs , either that or the just don’t care contrary to what they say .

I have been saying this for the last 5 years !

Well done for trying Dave. I would love to play that amount of games in that short timeframe, although I probably couldn't manage it nowadays! Some players will be buzzing with games coming thick and fast, whilst others will be at risk of injury due to the lack of recovery time. There are teams that have 50%+ of their league fixtures to play in around 5 weeks - crazy! Look out for some interesting results.

Rained hard overnight and games called off already today, it will soon be a game every day for some clubs!! Where is the RESPECT, that the FA go on about all the time, to the players safety and wellbeing having to play so frequently, with out adequate recovery time.Players mostly have to work for a living in the real world. I appreciate they have to sort out leagues regarding promotion and relegation but surely another two weeks( to 19th may) on the end of the season wouldn't harm anyone?

Cornwall is a drop in the ocean for the FA, get your head out of the sand fellas you can't just expect them to put their whole system and timeframe on hold for us minnows! Nothing's going to change, suck it up and get on with things is the only option I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

Cornwall is a drop in the ocean for the FA, get your head out of the sand fellas you can't just expect them to put their whole system and timeframe on hold for us minnows! Nothing's going to change, suck it up and get on with things is the only option I'm afraid.

I  cannot see how all fixtures will be played by the required date, almost physically and logistically impossible especially for teams that are not playing for much. There is a thing called life that goes on outside of football. The FA might as well not have replied, you can almost here them saying , I wish those inbred sheep s-----ing Cornish people would go away.

Completely agree with you,Mike.I suggest all Leagues in Cornwall should now play only fixtures that have a bearing on promotion/relegation,and cup games.

This way many "meaningless" games can be awarded a draw-hopefully with NO fine incurred.

Something that also has to be considered in the critical situation of Referees being available:I understand Clubs,especially at Junior level, will not have an Official at

some games.

Does this make sense ?

6 minutes ago, Adlestrop said:

Completely agree with you,Mike.I suggest all Leagues in Cornwall should now play only fixtures that have a bearing on promotion/relegation,and cup games.

This way many "meaningless" games can be awarded a draw-hopefully with NO fine incurred.

Something that also has to be considered in the critical situation of Referees being available:I understand Clubs,especially at Junior level, will not have an Official at

some games.

Does this make sense ?

The first time I read that I thought it was a crazy idea - second time round not such a bad idea. For the mid table clubs knock it on the head and start again in August. Also consider cancelling cups. 

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

The first time I read that I thought it was a crazy idea - second time round not such a bad idea. For the mid table clubs knock it on the head and start again in August. Also consider cancelling cups. 

To cancel cups would be hard on those that have reached the Semi-Final stages.But on the other hand,how many Clubs would want to stage finals following

such a battering on their pitches?

Your recent response to another topic sums the whole end-of season chaos perfectly-BONKERS

Agree cancelling cups would be hard on teams, and actually not sure how many fixtures it would save. Maybe give clubs the option to surrender a cup game with no penalty, say if they were also chasing a promotion spot that they wanted to prioritise? Agree on finals, those staged on Peninsula grounds might have to wait until well into May when league fixtures are over 

10 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

some games.

Does this make sense ?

Never heard something so ridiculous in my life!!!! ?. Who will deem which games are “meaningless” ?

When you have teams playing 5 games in 7 days ( 3 days in a row ) 

and one team playing twice inside 24 hours, (7.30 on a Friday night and 3pm on a Saturday)

the whole set up just becomes an utter joke. Micky Mouse springs to Mind.  

Re "Never heard something so ridiculous in my life!!!! ?. Who will deem which games are “meaningless” ?" 

I suppose it's when the 2 clubs involved in a match are not fighting for an automatic promotion place or a playoff place or in danger of finishing in a relegation place.

For SWPL Premier Division. I would guess once Parkway are guaranteed a top 3 (is it?) place and the side in 20th can't mathematically catch the 2 clubs involved in a match.

Like, maybe, some games scheduled for w/c 30th April

Fair point Argyle,  but you still have players going for say league top scorer (especially Parkway) and the players who get “match fees” agreed when they signed for the club will still want to play these “meaningless” games as many will rely on that money these days! Agreed it’s been a terrible winter but if the games do not get played it’s a bit farcical and agreed Mickey Mouse as Hetty says. I know it’s a lot of football and organisation but I think it needs to be done so the league comes out of it with a bit of credibility. The Trelawny League made the decision to cancel all their cup competitions for this season and it did not go down well and that was at a lot lower standard of football ⚽️ 

As Witheridge can still finish 9th and Promotion not yet finalised then it is impossible to say what is meaningless - and unfair on all to do so  

How about the league doing away with relegation from SWPL this season  - Parkway will be  confirmed top 4 (inc Argyle Res) very soon so Promotion will be sorted  

Top of East and West have play off for one position. All those wanting to get promotion into Prem will get it at the end of next season as Prem Cornwall  (and Devon) will need +7/8 from the West (and East). As no matches affecting Promotion or Relegation then season can be extended and SWPL can use the restructure for change to relegation agreements?

Nowhere near ideal, but as fair as asking players to play twice in two days or 4/5 games a week - results are going to become meaningless!

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

As Witheridge can still finish 9th and Promotion not yet finalised then it is impossible to say what is meaningless - and unfair on all to do so  

How about the league doing away with relegation from SWPL this season  - Parkway will be  confirmed top 4 (inc Argyle Res) very soon so Promotion will be sorted  

Top of East and West have play off for one position. All those wanting to get promotion into Prem will get it at the end of next season as Prem Cornwall  (and Devon) will need +7/8 from the West (and East). As no matches affecting Promotion or Relegation then season can be extended and SWPL can use the restructure for change to relegation agreements?

Nowhere near ideal, but as fair as asking players to play twice in two days or 4/5 games a week - results are going to become meaningless!

is that fair giving one position to the winners of east or west after a play off?

28 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

is that fair giving one position to the winners of east or west after a play off?

Not at all - just an option / talking point  

Nothing is fair this season - just this affects one team as opposed to a whole league?

From 1951/52 to 2006/07 in the South Western League, only one match was unplayed and that was Louis International v Porthleven in the 70s when the visitors couldn't raise a team. It's too easy to cry off nowadays.

I agree that no game is meaningless. Every game means something to someone, even if it has no bearing on the final table. 

The FA need to have a good look at themselves and what and who they claim to represent.

Interesting comment from Phil Hiscox ..

"I have not as yet allocated new dates for the two Premier Games off tonight (Crediton in East has been re-arranged for 12/5) – I am in fresh correspondence with the FA about dates that can be used, will confirm new dates once I hear back from Wembley."

26 minutes ago, baldy said:

Interesting comment from Phil Hiscox ..

"I have not as yet allocated new dates for the two Premier Games off tonight (Crediton in East has been re-arranged for 12/5) – I am in fresh correspondence with the FA about dates that can be used, will confirm new dates once I hear back from Wembley."

What has Wembley got to do with it - just play the game !

On 7 April 2018 at 22:03, Sticker Forever said:

Never heard something so ridiculous in my life!!!! ?. Who will deem which games are “meaningless” ?

Those teams that aren't in promotion or a relegation battle.  One team has a fixture list as 6 games in 7 days ridiculous...... Pro clubs moan about playing 3 games over a festive period! 

• 2 weeks later...

"The FA is For All and, as a not-for-profit organisation, our core focus is to develop the national game and invest in the future.

"In 2016 we announced our four-year strategic plan to Unite the Game, Inspire the Nation, to bring English football closer together. Two years in and we are making real progress.

"The FA is in good financial health and we have a clear focus to continually improve the way we service the needs of the English game and prove that The FA is For All."

- Martin Glenn, FA Chief Executive, 21st March 2018.

4 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

"The FA is For All and, as a not-for-profit organisation, our core focus is to develop the national game and invest in the future.

"In 2016 we announced our four-year strategic plan to Unite the Game, Inspire the Nation, to bring English football closer together. Two years in and we are making real progress.

"The FA is in good financial health and we have a clear focus to continually improve the way we service the needs of the English game and prove that The FA is For All."

- Martin Glenn, FA Chief Executive, 21st March 2018.

WHAT A LOAD OF ABSOLUTE RUBBISH !

Lets not forget that SWP started with 18 clubs in Premier and 16 clubs in East & West. Then FA pressured SWP into increasing the division sizes to provide more fixtures for referees to be marked!

Four less fixtures would be appreciated right now.