Cornwall Football Forum

MORTGAGE ADVICE BUREAU ECPL Fixtures Saturday 31st March

MORTGAGE ADVICE BUREAU ECPL Fixtures Saturday 31st March 

Premier Division 

Liskeard Athletic v Pensilva (Postponed)

Looe Town 5 St Stephens Borough 4

Plymstock United v Bere Alston United (Postponed)

St Austell v Callington Town (Postponed)

Tavistock v Launceston

Torpoint Athletic v Plymouth Parkway (Postponed)

Division One 

Elburton Villa v St Teath (Postponed)

Lakeside Athletic v Millbrook (Postponed)

Morwenstow v St Minver

Newquay 5 Mevagissey 4

Padstow United v Roche

Wadebridge Town v Lanreath (Postponed)

Plymouth Parkway have offered any teams that they still have to play that have had their games off to play on 3G

Torpoint - Refused

Bere Alston - Not Responded

Plymstock - Not Keen

Callington - refused 

madness when you look at the amount of games left that anyone is happy to not play !

21 minutes ago, Devon29 said:

Plymouth Parkway have offered any teams that they still have to play that have had their games off to play on 3G

Torpoint - Refused

Bere Alston - Not Responded

Plymstock - Not Responded 

madness when you look at the amount of games left that anyone is happy to not play !

Does that mean Torpoint/Parkway is off too

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is it a case of don’t fancy playing on 3G?

Appears so - we've asked 5 teams who all don't want to. We even offered to pay - so cost isn't an issue. 

When one of those teams still hasn't played half their league games yet it's slightly mad ! 

1 hour ago, Richard Rundle said:

Cracker at Looe

Looe Town 5-4 St Stephens Borough

Ref initially didn't allow the winner, it went in and through the net so he must have assumed it went wide. It took a lot of persuasion from the Looe players and some sportsmanship from the Borough bench to convince him it was a goal.

It was a great game to be involved in today and we can’t speak highly enough of the St Stephens bench for their honesty in telling the ref the goal should stand. Credit to their players also who at 4-4 were offering us the chance to put the ball in the goal unchallenged if the ref didn’t change the award of a corner. I’d like to think I would do the same but with both teams battling for points I’m sure it would have been easy enough to have denied the goal.

1 hour ago, Cornishfootball said:

probably lots of reasons but noone has to accept a move to 3G when it can be a disadvantage for some teams who don't use it much or they lose home advantage etc etc.

Absolutely and I agree. No one has to, but logic says that with so many games in a short period of time playing at a neutral venue just helps that congestion a little. 

Its done now - can't wait to read the thread in a few weeks time when teams are moaning about playing 3-4 times in a week or not completing their season and some bright spark suggests playing on 3G pitches. 

You have shot yourselves in the foot nobody is going to agree to play you  while peninsular football is not on you played Torpoint on saltmill dragged in first team and Ivybridge first team players what do you expect but dont want to drag that up again but when everyone says no its probably because they dont know who they will be playing against 

Then clubs better not moan about further fixture back logs. Clubs have a chance to play a game. I can see clubs not playing a fixtures, especially midweek, because of players not being available before long. Think leagues maybe forced into introducing a ruling that games, especially cup game, that are postponed may have to play in 3G pitches 

21 minutes ago, The Boy said:

No, the league should bring in a ruling restricting the number of 1st team players. That way you might find other teams more agreeable to play.

Not going to happen - most of the clubs in the division are reserve sides 

1 hour ago, jefferson hog said:

You have shot yourselves in the foot nobody is going to agree to play you  while peninsular football is not on you played Torpoint on saltmill dragged in first team and Ivybridge first team players what do you expect but dont want to drag that up again but when everyone says no its probably because they dont know who they will be playing against 

Don't want to drag it up.... but will anyway ! ?

15 minutes ago, Devon29 said:

Not going to happen - most of the clubs in the division are reserve sides 

Don't want to drag it up.... but will anyway ! ?

Don't understand what difference that makes. Whether you're a reserve side or 1st team you still need to have your own squad 

Isn’t it shocking how instead of applauding the coaching staff at St Stephens Borough on this thread, people are still digging out Parkway for something that happened weeks ago.

Shows how today’s culture would rather focus on negativity than dish out praise.

20 minutes ago, sgowing4 said:

Isn’t it shocking how instead of applauding the coaching staff at St Stephens Borough on this thread, people are still digging out Parkway for something that happened weeks ago.

Shows how today’s culture would rather focus on negativity than dish out praise.

Valid point 

27 minutes ago, sgowing4 said:

I wasn't digging at Parkway, I was saying it as a whole. All reserve teams at some stage have done it, I'm just saying there should be a restriction on how many 1st team players should be allowed. It's not fair on those reserve team players that get dropped to make way for first teamers.

As for borough, I wouldn't expect anything different, I know a few of the guys involved there & they're top notch

3 minutes ago, Unknown20 said:

Should be 3 maximum

Should it ? Why ? 

What happens, as stated before, when a young player goes and fills in for the first team, is he then classed as a first teamer ? What if players need to drop down for fitness or lack of form?

I think there are too many connotations on what would depict a first team player and a reserve player. 

Also who polices this? The ECPL displays no stats on players appearances , goal scorers, discipline etc - all of a sudden they're going to track who has played in a different league and has dropped down. 

Not going to happen. 

10 hours ago, Devon29 said:

Should it ? Why ? 

What happens, as stated before, when a young player goes and fills in for the first team, is he then classed as a first teamer ? What if players need to drop down for fitness or lack of form?

I think there are too many connotations on what would depict a first team player and a reserve player. 

Also who polices this? The ECPL displays no stats on players appearances , goal scorers, discipline etc - all of a sudden they're going to track who has played in a different league and has dropped down. 

Not going to happen. 

We’ve all got our own opinions and are entitled to say as we please , personally I think a cap of 3 maximum should be able to play from the first team just my opinion, referring back to parkway vs Polperro it was just a mismatch with all the first team players no disrespect to polperro and maybe just maybe yesterday that could of been a factor as to other teams not wanting to play Parkway , it could affect a team winning the league this season. 

Also great to see great sportsmanship from a top club. Wouldn’t expect any less from them boys ?? St. Stephens Borough 

15 hours ago, Unknown20 said:

Should be 3 maximum

And when does a player class as a first team player? And how long is he classed as? If he sits on the bench does that make him first team? And what gen happens if he moves clubs? Does his ‘first team status’ get wiped? 

Would be hard to police 

31 minutes ago, rob brown said:

And when does a player class as a first team player? And how long is he classed as? If he sits on the bench does that make him first team? And what gen happens if he moves clubs? Does his ‘first team status’ get wiped? 

Would be hard to police 

So-called Junior leagues manage to do it and have done for years. With FA Full Time used properly it's even easier.

5 hours ago, AJW said:

So-called Junior leagues manage to do it and have done for years. With FA Full Time used properly it's even easier.

True. Although I agree with the reasons why they do it-I think if you are signed for a club-and one club only-you should be free to play for whichever side needs you on that day. 

I think a 3 first team max rule could be done-but personally a cap of 5 would be better for teams to be able to flow. And it not like we are talking a huge step. The top 4/5 of the east Cornwall would step into the west division quite easily and not look out of place. Yes I know parkway first this season are a different level again-but that’s fooball. Whoever you play for there is going to be a better side and better players around. The challenge in the game is playing against those players to better yourself. Due to Suspensions, work commitments, travel etc if a 3 player rule was in place we may have struggled to field a side some games this year, which is a backward step for the league. 

36 minutes ago, rob brown said:

True. Although I agree with the reasons why they do it-I think if you are signed for a club-and one club only-you should be free to play for whichever side needs you on that day. 

I think a 3 first team max rule could be done-but personally a cap of 5 would be better for teams to be able to flow. And it not like we are talking a huge step. The top 4/5 of the east Cornwall would step into the west division quite easily and not look out of place. Yes I know parkway first this season are a different level again-but that’s fooball. Whoever you play for there is going to be a better side and better players around. The challenge in the game is playing against those players to better yourself. Due to Suspensions, work commitments, travel etc if a 3 player rule was in place we may have struggled to field a side some games this year, which is a backward step for the league. 

The issue this causes for me personally is currently our reserve team squad are all under 24 (with maybe 1 exception off the top of my head) the idea for such a young squad (for example my 2 Centre midfielders and 2 strikers are all 16/17) is that they can progress through the club.  At present I allow them to miss our games and be 4th / 5th man with the 1st team.  However at least 3 occassions they have gone on.  Would this then class them as a first team player?

I can't understand how The Football Association would be keen on allowing Plymouth Argyle Reserves and next season Torquay United reserves to join the SWPL but then agree to a 3/5 player cap rule for aspiring clubs looking to progess' reserve sides.

The whole point of a reserve side is to be a vechicle to develop young players and allow first team players game time when needed.  I appreciate that there are some sides that are not reserve sides in the ECPL that are looking to progress, but I am convinced that we have not put a stop to that happening by floating some first team players in.  I appreciate there was one game against Polperro that there were 8 in.  However, our actual reserve side already beat Polperro at the start of the season, AND they arent in contention to be promoted.  Yes it wasnt a pleasant scoreline for the team on the day, but it hasn't affected promotion / relegration.

Maybe instead ot this being discussed on the forum its put forward to the league at the AGM?

I think all clubs finishing the season with the current weather is a bigger issue.  Does anyone have a suggestion for that?

4 hours ago, rob brown said:

It’s easy to suggest brining in a cap of 5 maximum it’s when you play teams that are less than the level of you boys then when you play for example Saltash 2nds you bring in as many as you can just to win the game it’s just not consistent , it’s kind of when we know it’s a must win game let’s bring in first teamers yet sometimes it just don’t work, & to be honest I feel sorry for the players that get the boot due to first teamers getting priority.

9 hours ago, Unknown20 said:

It’s easy to suggest brining in a cap of 5 maximum it’s when you play teams that are less than the level of you boys then when you play for example Saltash 2nds you bring in as many as you can just to win the game it’s just not consistent , it’s kind of when we know it’s a must win game let’s bring in first teamers yet sometimes it just don’t work, & to be honest I feel sorry for the players that get the boot due to first teamers getting priority.

Not sure what you mean by ‘as many as you can’ and players don’t miss out. The players that play for us float between the sides and on occasions we are told by the first team-who needs minutes to play. Our side has changed nearly every week due to rotation and first team taking players etc. I don’t think I have had the same back 4 in front of me two games in a row this year! 

If every single player in the club is fit, available , and the first team took the strongest 16 available-I believe the resurves left are all good enough to not only complete in east Cornwall,the league above and would give a lot of prem sides a game as well. So bringing in ‘first teamers’ doesn’t really matter-your going to be in for a game either way! 

On 31/03/2018 at 18:22, sgowing4 said:

It was a great game to be involved in today and we can’t speak highly enough of the St Stephens bench for their honesty in telling the ref the goal should stand. Credit to their players also who at 4-4 were offering us the chance to put the ball in the goal unchallenged if the ref didn’t change the award of a corner. I’d like to think I would do the same but with both teams battling for points I’m sure it would have been easy enough to have denied the goal.

Thankyou for the mention, I do appreciate it.  I'm sure any manager in this league would've done the same. Very proud of my players too, after the game every one of them said it was the right thing to do. Was a good game and your lads deserved the win, well done