Cornwall Football Forum

JUNIOR CUP SEMI FINALS

The first of the semi finals takes place tomorrow night between St Stephen and Wendron United. 

Thanks to Hayle FC for hosting the semi final, they’ve done some impressive work of late and the match will take place tomorrow regardless of weather as it will be hosted on their impressive, new 3G pitch which runs alongside their grass pitch - providing the grass pitch fails inspection. 

To my knowledge, this is the first time the two sides have met. St Stephen have been here or there abouts in the Junior Cup over the past few seasons, whereas this is new territory for Wendron. 

With both teams performing well in their respected leagues, it looks to be an exciting encounter. 

So if you’re in need of some mid-week football, get yourselves along to Hayle FC tomorrow for a 7.30pmKO. 

Best of luck to Penwith Exiles and Torpoint in their semi final which takes place on Wednesday at Mt. Wise. 

38 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

Would that be “respective” leagues?  Not sure the Trelawny is “respected” too much at the moment with its clubs after cancelling all the cup competitions!!! 

Yes meant to say respective apologies. That argument is for a different thread! They have won several awards since the league has started mind. 

St Stephen 3 (Courtney Rowe 2 pens, Craig Coad) Wendron 1(sorry, don't know the scorer) after extra time

Well done to St Stephen on their victory and to both teams for an entertaining game. Superb facilities at Hayle, a real club on the up.

St Stephen started well and hit the bar after 2 minutes. Wendron came back into it and took the lead with an unmarked header from a corner and could have increased their lead before St Stephen hit the bar again in the last minute of the half. 

Wendron replaced veteran Matt Potts (who had a good game) mid way through the second half and not long after St Stephen equalised when Courtney Rowe converted a penalty. The booking count continued to rise until the ref blew for full time.

St Stephen then took the lead with a close range header from a corner by Craig Coad. Wendron were reduced to 10 men when number 9 received a second yellow for his second foul on Steve Raven in the St Stephen goal. 

Pin the second half of extra time Courtney Rowe again confidently converted a penalty to make it 3-1before Wendron were reduced to 9 men with 4 minutes to go when their number 7 was sin binned.

Overall, in my opinion, St Stephen deserved the win and it was an entertaining game.

Travelled over to this game today from St day, a very fiesty encounter with many bookings. Felt that for a club like wendron their fans and some of their players didn’t hold them self in the highest regard. Quite disrespectful at times. Probably not a bad thing to see them not make the final. Dissapointing to see from them! But then again I am a Day head.

What game were you guys watching, Never seen a bigger bunch of whining cheats than the St Stephen side, both their penalties was through simulation and the Ref missed the No.9 hand balling it down on the edge of the box just before he swan dived to the floor. Two of the St Stephen players should have been straight red carded for double footed of the floor tackles. Wendron were the much better side, played actual football unlike the St Stephen team who just badgered the Ref for the entire game if something didn't go their way, very weak Ref for such a high profile game! 

3 minutes ago, NIK NAC said:

What game were you guys watching, Never seen a bigger bunch of whining cheats than the St Stephen side, both their penalties was through simulation and the Ref missed the No.9 hand balling it down on the edge of the box just before he swan dived to the floor. Two of the St Stephen players should have been straight red carded for double footed of the floor tackles. Wendron were the much better side, played actual football unlike the St Stephen team who just badgered the Ref for the entire game if something didn't go their way, very weak Ref for such a high profile game! 

That’s a shame you think that. Guess we just have the ‘nic nak’ of knowing how to get to a final. You need to look at yourselves first and foremost. First half you appealed and got EVERYTHING. Never been involved in such a high profile game with a club that moans so much. Real shame. Good luck for the season. 

1 minute ago, Jimmer06 said:

That’s a shame you think that. Guess we just have the ‘nic nak’ of knowing how to get to a final. You need to look at yourselves first and foremost. First half you appealed and got EVERYTHING. Never been involved in such a high profile game with a club that moans so much. Real shame. Good luck for the season. 

I was there as a neutral

Made the trip down west to watch the village side once again take their place in the final. 

St Stephen started brightly with the outstanding Craig Coad hitting the bar with a left footed half volley. That was as good as it got for the saints in the 1st half as Wendrone took control of the game and deservedly went into the break 1-0 up. 

A half time change saw Kyle "kick him" Willymot off and his brother Jordi Willymot on. 

This swung the game in the Saints favour and their hard work saw the enigmatic Craig Coad felled in the area and a penalty controversially awarded. Courtney Rowe duly despatched with aplomb. 

The allotted 5400 seconds (or 90 minutes for the traditionalist) ended 1-1 and the tie went into extra time finely poised. 

The deadlock was soon broken though when Luke Damerell took time out of his busy soup kitchen duties to rise highest and head home a corner (sorry @coady-9 you can't claim this one)

Finally the game was killed off after an adventurous run from the more talented Willymot brother brought about a second penalty after his ball into the box was destined for Courtney Rowe's laces if it weren't for the desperate lunge from the Wendrone defender. Rowe dusted himself off and duly slotted the penalty into the corner to cement the saint's place in their 3rd consecutive final and clay village folklore. 

Great game to watch between two very good sides. Wendrone are a lovely bunch of lads (bar the aggressive wizard at the back) although they were let down by some distasteful comments from some supporters.

We wish them all the best in their remaining league fixtures. 

Onto the final on the 22nd. Let's hope St Agnes have some Kronenbourg 1664 on tap! 

As a Duchy Lge official I am delighted to see St Stephen through to the final but couldn't in all honesty say that the best team won.

The game was not a shining example of everything that is good about junior football but it was certainly not boring. I think the whinging, whining, appealing contest ended all square and any refereeing issues evened themselves out. Wendron were far superior in the first half, St Stephen had the better of the second half but had to desperately hang on for the last 15 minutes.

Extra time was a long drawn out process with continual stoppages but St Stephen ground out the result. The ability to do that under great pressure is quite a useful tool to have in the box.  

What a game to be involved in. Had everything for the neutral. First and foremost I’d like to thank Hayle FC for their hospitality. The facilities were great. The pitch was in fantastic condition and the club has a great buzz. 

Secondly, thanks to all at the CCFA. I think that they’ve managed the competition really well in a difficult season and they’ve helped me with several queries. 

I have no idea who the posters above were, but let’s keep this about the football if possible. From where I was (in the dugout), I saw two teams wanting to win and a good level of competitiveness. 

I was disappointed to see that St Stephen posted on their twitter page about Wendron fans booing head injuries? Again, I did not hear any of that. If it took place then I apologise, I was only aware of one head injury to your goalkeeper, in which no contact was actually made to his head. And if you are making comments about supporters then some of yours may be mentioned too. 

Anyway, to the game. St Stephen started brightly and struck the bar from a sliced shot through Coad. From then Wendron dominated the half in my opinion, playing some really good football. We created a fair few chances and took the lead through a Moseley header, slightly disappointed to go in just one up. 

St Stephen came out blazing in the second half and pinned us in for a good 20-25 minutes. They deserved to level but we were disappointed in the way that they did. Firstly, a throw-in was given St Stephen’s way despite hitting one of their players last. Then Coad handled the ball before being tackled - my View wasn’t the clearest but I’ve heard some say it was a pen, some say it wasn’t. Anyway, it was given and was well converted by Rowe. 

We grew back into it and minutes from the death we missed a guilt edged opportunity to win the game. 

St Stephen scored with a good header from Coad from a corner after a free kick was well saved from our keeper. 

A second penalty sealed the win. Looked more of a penalty but again disappointing from our perspective as an identical incident in their box on one of our players was waved on two minutes before. 

St Stephen saw the game out well, their keeper made some great saves throughout. 

Dissapointing red card for us. First booking was a coming together with our striker and their keeper. Definite free kick bur a harsh booking. Second one for a similar incident but this time our striker got to the ball first, the keeper went down and our striker was given his marching orders. 

Best of luck to St Stephen; a really well drilled side who play to their strengths very well. Extremely well led by Coady - who was a pain for us all night. Seem like a well run and managed club. Good set of supporters and seemed like a good bunch of boys. 

All the best 

Josh McDonald

Wendron United Manager

6 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

What a game to be involved in. Had everything for the neutral. First and foremost I’d like to thank Hayle FC for their hospitality. The facilities were great. The pitch was in fantastic condition and the club has a great buzz. 

Secondly, thanks to all at the CCFA. I think that they’ve managed the competition really well in a difficult season and they’ve helped me with several queries. 

I have no idea who the posters above were, but let’s keep this about the football if possible. From where I was (in the dugout), I saw two teams wanting to win and a good level of competitiveness. 

I was disappointed to see that St Stephen posted on their twitter page about Wendron fans booing head injuries? Again, I did not hear any of that. If it took place then I apologise, I was only aware of one head injury to your goalkeeper, in which no contact was actually made to his head. And if you are making comments about supporters then some of yours may be mentioned too. 

Anyway, to the game. St Stephen started brightly and struck the bar from a sliced shot through Coad. From then Wendron dominated the half in my opinion, playing some really good football. We created a fair few chances and took the lead through a Moseley header, slightly disappointed to go in just one up. 

St Stephen came out blazing in the second half and pinned us in for a good 20-25 minutes. They deserved to level but we were disappointed in the way that they did. Firstly, a throw-in was given St Stephen’s way despite hitting one of their players last. Then Coad handled the ball before being tackled - my View wasn’t the clearest but I’ve heard some say it was a pen, some say it wasn’t. Anyway, it was given and was well converted by Rowe. 

We grew back into it and minutes from the death we missed a guilt edged opportunity to win the game. 

St Stephen scored with a good header from Coad from a corner after a free kick was well saved from our keeper. 

A second penalty sealed the win. Looked more of a penalty but again disappointing from our perspective as an identical incident in their box on one of our players was waved on two minutes before. 

St Stephen saw the game out well, their keeper made some great saves throughout. 

Dissapointing red card for us. First booking was a coming together with our striker and their keeper. Definite free kick by a harsh booking. Second one for a similar incident but this time or striker got to the ball first, the keeper went down and our striker was given his marching orders. 

Best of luck to St Stephen; a really well drilled side who play to their strengths very well. Extremely well led by Coady - who was a pain for us all night. Seem like a well run and managed club. Good set of supporters and seemed like a good bunch of boys. 

All the best 

Josh McDonald

Wendron United Manager

Don’t forget Rowe missed a few sitters ?

Cracking game to play in had it all. Big thanks to hayle what a lovely pitch and set up. Wendron very good side and in my opinion either team could argue they deserved it but I'm glad it was us. Sore legs this morning 

all the best to wendron for their promotion push 

14 hours ago, NIK NAC said:

Wendron were on the refs back from minute one and had most of the decisions their way in the first half. I heard one of their players shouting for yellow cards within 5 minutes of the start, so there's two sides to every coin.

We felt that we had to do  this from half-time to swing things our way a bit. Perhaps on the night Wendron did play more football but we restricted them to few chances and could have had 2 or 3 more ourselves had easy chances been taken. We play to our strengths up front, there's more than one way to skin a cat after all. 

That said, Wendron a tidy well organised outfit, I should imagine will push for their respective league title.

2 hours ago, will.i.am said:

Wendron were on the refs back from minute one and had most of the decisions their way in the first half. I heard one of their players shouting for yellow cards within 5 minutes of the start, so there's two sides to every coin.

We felt that we had to do  this from half-time to swing things our way a bit. Perhaps on the night Wendron did play more football but we restricted them to few chances and could have had 2 or 3 more ourselves had easy chances been taken. We play to our strengths up front, there's more than one way to skin a cat after all. 

That said, Wendron a tidy well organised outfit, I should imagine will push for their respective league title.

Completely agree. That’s the beauty of football. It is played in different ways and there’s no right way to play it. St Stephen are a team who know how to win matches and they did it again last night. Like I said St Stephen were effective in how they played and it worked last night.

I don’t think we were on the ref’s back and never aim to put an official under pressure, there were some tasty early challenges and we appealed for them, but it was never an intention to ‘get on the ref’s back’. They are there to enjoy themselves too and trying that game plan can often have the opposite effect! 

Best of luck in the final lads and for your promotion challenge too. 

Josh