Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL West Div 1 run in

With the games coming thick and fast from now until 7th May. The Div one west title could go down to the wire. Ludgvan looked certain winners towards the end of 2017 but the miserable weather stopped them firm in their tracks with a number of cancellations. Having slipped up in their last two fixtures its giving the chasing pack a sniff of getting back in the title race. I believe (this is my opinion) that it is going to be a five horse race from now until the end of the season. With a lot of the top teams still to play each other, on some occasions home and away I think there is going to be lots of twists and turns in the tile race. Interested in other peoples thoughts.

Looking at the fixture list and tables my five horse race consists of Ludgvan, Millbrook, Liskeard, Mousehole and Porthleven. For a bit of fun I have predicted what points each team will get from their remaining fixtures and come up with the final table that looks like this: (I STRESS THIS IS FOR FUN AND MY OPINION)

Table:

1. Ludgvan 70pts

2. Millbrook 69pts

3. Liskeard 68pts

4. Mousehole 67pts

5. Porthleven 63pts    

Anybody else have a different final table? 

Looking at the table quickly, Liskeard & Millbrook boast  very impressive 'Goal Difference' in comparison to the rest which might prove vital. Also with the nature of that league teams probably will not travel 'full strength' across the County/Devon if they are no longer playing for anything, which might also affect the scorelines in some fixtures. Still Ludgvan's to lose I would say, however having seen all of the above play (apart from Mousehole) I would say Liskeard are very impressive on their day. Mousehole after their recent run of results suggest they would compete in the Premier Division along with Liskeard & possibly Ludgvan

18 hours ago, Jamesy7 said:

A lot of dropped points at the top this weekend - Del Boy how does that affect your final table? 

Plenty of massive games to go so all to play for! 

Might have to make a few adjustments. I must admit didn’t see some of those results happening. Like you said some big games coming up, everyone will take points off each other. Liskeard will be the happiest after the weekend I think. 

1 hour ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

If I was a gambling man, my money would be on Millbrook..... Liskeard and Mousehole will be right in it until the end too 

How many years ago did Millbrook leave the premier league ? They were a good side and also presented a nice pasty in the clubhouse - made the trip from Falmouth worthwhile !

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

Heard from someone in the know that Liskeard DO NOT want promotion.Anyone confirm or deny this ?

Paid their application fee to apply for promotion, would more than likely be less traveling miles in the Premier than Division One West & they'd be back playing proper football, why would they Not want it now! Great club, lets hope they return back to where they belong

11 hours ago, panda said:

Do not think they have been in Premier,Started in div 1 west dropped down to ecpl and came back to west 1 ithink in 2014/15season

I am confused now was it in the sw league days  - time does fly ! I certainly went there with Falmouth a couple of times - I cannot forget the long journey !

There’s 7/8 really really good teams in the league and very competitive. With teams having to play so many games in such a short amount of time, I think the title is going to the side who can handle the fixture backlog the best. Also, teams will need a bit of luck with injuries. My gut feeling has the league finishing like this & i’m talking maybe just a few points  between the top 7/8! It’s definitely the league to catch for the run in.

Mousehole

Elburton

Ludgvan

Liskeard

Millbrook

Porthleven

St Blazey

Wadebridge 

Penzance 

St Dennis

Plymouth Marjon

Wendron

Dobwalls

Holsworthy

Plymstock

Illogan

Bude

On 28/03/2018 at 08:08, Martin McHugh said:

We need to play better than we did last night if we are to continue pushing!! 

Its a tough league to get out of and if we get promotion its going to be a tough fight. 

Sticker romped the league last year and have only won 5 games in their promotion year so far.....it is a big step!!!

MQx

Gap between West & Premier is significant, Sticker have proved that last season after walking the West league & now with the same squad virtually now three places off the bottom of the Premier. 

4 hours ago, OldFan said:

There’s 7/8 really really good teams in the league and very competitive. With teams having to play so many games in such a short amount of time, I think the title is going to the side who can handle the fixture backlog the best. Also, teams will need a bit of luck with injuries. My gut feeling has the league finishing like this & i’m talking maybe just a few points  between the top 7/8! It’s definitely the league to catch for the run in.

Mousehole

Elburton

Ludgvan

Liskeard

Millbrook

Porthleven

St Blazey

Wadebridge 

Penzance 

St Dennis

Plymouth Marjon

Wendron