Cornwall Football Forum

Argyle Legends will be returning to Camborne for the first time in 15 years

Dave Deacon

We’re on our Way’ We’re on our Way’ to Camborne we’re on our Way.

Argyle Legends are heading to Camborne on Sunday 15thApril to play a charity match in aid of Pilgrim’s defender Ryan Edwards, who is recovering after surgery for testicular cancer.

The match is the brainchild of Argyle fan Zak Rowe, aged 21, from Camborne, who wanted to do something to help the poorly star on his road back to the Argyle first team.

The game will be played at the home of Holmans FC in Camborne and has a 2.30pm kick-off. A bucket collection will be held at half-time to raise funds and the home team will wear football shirts made especially for the game that will have Derriford’s Teenage Cancer Trust logo and the #WithYouEddy hashtag on them.

The teams will be competing for the Ryan Edwards Cup, kindly donated by PASOTI and is likely to be the first of several events as Plymouth Argyle have been contacted by a number of people wishing to help and support Ryan in his recovery.

The club will be talking to Ryan on his return to Plymouth to see what he considers is the best way forward for all the kindness shown to him.

Part of his treatment has been at Derriford, where he has seen the Teenage Cancer Trust’s work at close hand. He said “I spoke to my chemo  nurses who have been first class with me every step of the way.  They actually treat people up to 24 years of age, which is why they treated me."

A teenage cancer trust spokesperson said: "Teenage Cancer Trust is here to make sure that no young person faces cancer alone. Our expert staff in Plymouth support young people  and bring them together so they can support each other." 

Meanwhile Argyle Legends will be returning to Camborne for the first time in 15 years to set the ball rolling.