Cornwall Football Forum

MORTGAGE ADVICE BUREAU ECPL FIXTURES Wednesday 21st March

45 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

there were a few against Torpoint on Sat and also a couple ivybridge players I believe......but this is allowed

I heard the same was just seeing if was true that the whole squad playing tonight if true feel for the 2nd team players 

Absolutely farcical IF that’s the case. Makes a mockery of the league, once again. Until all reserve teams are in their own league, this sort of pathetic behaviour will block progression of other non-reserve clubs and just serves to add to the disillusionment of players. 

Hope our bus doesn’t break down tonight and we manage to make it to the game ?

None thrown. Wouldn’t be the first time (or the last) that teams have played numerous first team players against us, we can only take it as a compliment if someone is that worried about little Polperro. Big difference in playing the odd first teamer for form or fitness, and loading up for the sake of it. It’s these clubs’ prerogative to do as they wish - no rules broken, only reputations at stake. 

We will be there and my lads will front up and give 100% as they always do. 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Absolutely farcical. Makes a mockery of the league, once again. Until all reserve teams are in their own league, this sort of pathetic behaviour will block progression of other non-reserve clubs and just serves to add to the disillusionment of players. 

Hope our bus doesn’t break down tonight and we manage to make it to the game ?

Take the reserve teams out of the Combo and ECPL you are left with a very weak league.Is this what you really want? Ironically should Polperro ever move to Step 7,

you would be playing against these better players EVERY week.

Care to elaborate about that bus ???

The bus comment was a tongue in cheek reference to when Plymouth Parkway Reserves were due to travel to St Austell for a cup game but the Mini Bus broke down on route. I guess the legitimacy of this is in question?  Did we travel? Was it all a hoax? Were we running scared of St Austell?

What is forgotten from the story is the bus was repaired and we could have made the game albeit about an hour / hour and a half later, however St Austell could not do this due to the club house being used for a function that evening.  The league agreed this and set the tie to be played at a later date.

I guess like most of the above thread, once you recieve some information the rest is made up to a conclusion that sounds a better story.

8 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

Take the reserve teams out of the Combo and ECPL you are left with a very weak league.Is this what you really want? Ironically should Polperro ever move to Step 7,

you would be playing against these better players EVERY week.

Care to elaborate about that bus ???

Only one res team in the top 5 of the combo

Still takes the piss really I know there no rule against it but what about the 2nd team players that been there all season and then miss out tonight due to 1st team players playing ? I agree they should play if for fitness or coming back from injury but not if they ain’t had a a match because of the weather. The 2nd team players in the same boat ?‍♀️ 

Appreciate your views - but the club use players from the reserve side to step up to the first and vice versa. 

All players are signed to the club. 

Of the typical reserve side, as it goes tonight was an odd one where only 8 would have been available. Of that 8 3 started and 3 were on the bench. The other 2 were there watching and were fine. 

6 minutes ago, Number13 said:

Ironically no parkway players from the game went in to their bar afterwards for a drink, the only 2 were the second team goalkeeper and centre midfielder who were both dropped tonight.

Technically not true, but I understand you're frustrated so we won't carry this on.

All the best for the remainder of the season.

Im sure they loved being drubbed 8 nil by a team who are still in a cup competition and who have only lost 1 league game playing 2 divisions higher!!  I guess there was a reason to drop 80% of the usual squad but as we all know, it is the silly season and no rules have been broken!  Watch out Bere Alston, midweek game coming up against them !!!

MQx

Hang on - we played Polperro early in the season with what was certainly a depleted side as we actually pulled in 2 16 year olds, 2 players that played P&WD league 2 and had the rest of our usual squad.

Parkway won on that day too. Therefore I find the above arguement slightly flawed. 

3 hours ago, Martin McHugh said:

Im sure they loved being drubbed 8 nil by a team who are still in a cup competition and who have only lost 1 league game playing 2 divisions higher!!  I guess there was a reason to drop 80% of the usual squad but as we all know, it is the silly season and no rules have been broken!  Watch out Bere Alston, midweek game coming up against them !!!

MQx

I would assume if you know that Parkway are still in a cup competition that the Cup Semi Final vs Cullompton is the same day as the Bere Alston game?  No need to warn them after all :)

2 hours ago, Devon29 said:

I would assume if you know that Parkway are still in a cup competition that the Cup Semi Final vs Cullompton is the same day as the Bere Alston game?  No need to warn them after all :)

Standby Chicken Pie .... Cullomptons games have been postponed recently because the banks of the the nearby river/stream have burst it banks causing widespread flooding of the local area, including the pitch. with the forecast looking somewhat moist would /could this happen again me wonders. :ninja:

1 hour ago, Fifa king said:

How did parkway play an Ivybridge player last Saturday, I am not moaning just curious if you can play for for a first team somewhere and a second team somewhere else? Should he not be playing for his own 2nd team?

Think it was "a couple Ivybridge players, half the parkway team, 4 ex pro's from Argyle, 3 Man United Reserves, 6 Brazilian Internationals, including Pele" 

The forum is very factual. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

After having read this thread from a distance, and seen the emotions this has stirred, it makes me wonder what the motivations are for clubs at SWPL Premier Division in running a reserve/second team? Do clubs make any money out of them, and are they seen as a support to the first team or completely separate club? Having noticed the furore surrounding Parkway using the reserves to give players starved of game time a run out ( which contravenes no rules, and they are perfectly entitled to do), I was interested in how other clubs managed this relationship. I remember well from supporting Liskeard in the eighties and nineties how the Western League and East Cornwall League sides had nothing to do with each other, and that Tiverton Town had no reserve team in their golden FA Vase winning era.

26 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

After having read this thread from a distance, and seen the emotions this has stirred, it makes me wonder what the motivations are for clubs at SWPL Premier Division in running a reserve/second team? Do clubs make any money out of them, and are they seen as a support to the first team or completely separate club? Having noticed the furore surrounding Parkway using the reserves to give players starved of game time a run out ( which contravenes no rules, and they are perfectly entitled to do), I was interested in how other clubs managed this relationship. I remember well from supporting Liskeard in the eighties and nineties how the Western League and East Cornwall League sides had nothing to do with each other, and that Tiverton Town had no reserve team in their golden FA Vase winning era.

If the first teams and reserve teams don't interchange or interact with each other - how are they One club ? Surely they'd be better off going off and being their own club? 

Torpoint, Liskeard, St Austell all use reserve players in their first team and 1st team players in their reserves - why has that not been mentioned? 

This whole thread is getting a little silly now isn't it?

if rules aren't broken, each club is entitled to run how they see fit. In terms of internal politics and management etc, they are just that internal. 

1 hour ago, jayjay21 said:

Instead of all this speculation going on and people wondering what is true and what ain’t true why don’t you tell us the truth devon29 so it can be put to bed ??? 

Truth about what ? 

This cracks me up....clubs should interchange players across first and second teams, I think the issue is the rationale to changing virtually the whole team. How does that help the manager or players? You even dropped the keeper after letting him warm up.

2 second team players sat in the clubhouse afterwards bemused to why they didn’t play.

29 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

He probably means "what was the actual line-up?"

From Wednesday night ?

Sure - here is the match report from one of the supporters - work it out from there.

Maybe someone can explain to me why there are no posts about other teams using first team players ? Seems we are getting a bit of a hounding here for doing what other teams do.  Just to ask one more time - Have we broke any rules ?

Wandered over to watch Plymouth Parkway Reserves v Polperro in the East Cornwall Premier League last night (not sure how long Plymouth has been in East Cornwall but heh hoh, we live and learn)!! Hoping to relax and watch the game in peace but invited, no, pressurised and pleaded by Pete White to do a report. No prior preparation, no notebook, no pen, no programme, no dictaphone so what you read will be a shortened version based on my fading memory a bit of guesswork and a general cuffing of it!! Here we go, just for you Pete.

Plymouth Parkway Reserves 8 (McBeth 2, Krac 2, Cunningham, Woodside pen, G Hobbs, M Hobbs)
Polperro 0

The Parkway Reserves starting line up contained 8 of their 1st team squad with a 9th one on the bench. This was primarily to give the players some game time, some having not played for a couple of weeks. The unavailability of a few of the reserve squad was also a factor. The fact that the 1st team league is 2 steps above the reserve team league soon became evident as Parkway took control of the game from the off, dominating midfield, looking dangerous down both flanks, particularly Ryan Lane down the left and quickly pushing Polperro on the defensive. Chances came and went before Parkway eventually took the lead on 20 mins through reserve team striker Finn McBeth. Parkway continued to dominate, restricting Polperro to the occasional breaks which were dealt with comfortably by the 3 man Parkway defence with Kyle Moore, the 1st team keeper, virtually untested. Around the half hour mark, Parkway rattled in 3 goals in about 5 mins through Elliot Cunningham and 2 from Shane Krac. Polperro were in danger of being overwhelmed but to their credit, worked hard to stem the tide, defended pretty well and went in to the half time break 4-0 down. Sam Hillson replaced Lane for Parkway at half time and the 2nd half saw Parkway continue to pour forward at will keeping possession, moving the ball around quickly and creating numerous further chances. Polperro continued to defend, at times desperately but could not prevent 4 further goals as the half progressed. McBeth got his 2nd with Glyn Hobbs, the SW Peninsula League's leading scorer, reserve team captain Stirling Woodside with a penalty and Mackenzy Hobbs, on as a substitute also finding the net. 2 youngsters, 16 year old Mackenzy Hobbs and 17 year old Jacob Cameron replaced Ben Joyce and Krac respectively during the course of the half as Parkway cruised home comfortably. Polperro kept going, competed well and had their moments in forcing Moore into a couple of saves midway through the half. The class between the 2 sides clearly reflected the difference in standard between the 2 leagues although it is worthy of note that 5 of the 8 goals were scored by regular Parkway reserve team players. It is hoped the run out for the 1st team players will have been of some benefit to them when they travel to Godolphin Atlantic on Sautrday in the SWPL while the reserves will entertain Liskeard Athletic reserves at Stadio Bolitho also on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Number13 said:

This cracks me up....clubs should interchange players across first and second teams, I think the issue is the rationale to changing virtually the whole team. How does that help the manager or players? You even dropped the keeper after letting him warm up.

2 second team players sat in the clubhouse afterwards bemused to why they didn’t play.

The rationale to be fair isn't of anyone's concern other than those at the club. 

Good luck for your game tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Devon29 said:

From Wednesday night ?

Sure - here is the match report from one of the supporters - work it out from there.

Maybe someone can explain to me why there are no posts about other teams using first team players ? Seems we are getting a bit of a hounding here for doing what other teams do.  Just to ask one more time - Have we broke any rules ?

Wandered over to watch Plymouth Parkway Reserves v Polperro in the East Cornwall Premier League last night (not sure how long Plymouth has been in East Cornwall but heh hoh, we live and learn)!! Hoping to relax and watch the game in peace but invited, no, pressurised and pleaded by Pete White to do a report. No prior preparation, no notebook, no pen, no programme, no dictaphone so what you read will be a shortened version based on my fading memory a bit of guesswork and a general cuffing of it!! Here we go, just for you Pete.

Plymouth Parkway Reserves 8 (McBeth 2, Krac 2, Cunningham, Woodside pen, G Hobbs, M Hobbs)
Polperro 0

The Parkway Reserves starting line up contained 8 of their 1st team squad with a 9th one on the bench. This was primarily to give the players some game time, some having not played for a couple of weeks. The unavailability of a few of the reserve squad was also a factor. The fact that the 1st team league is 2 steps above the reserve team league soon became evident as Parkway took control of the game from the off, dominating midfield, looking dangerous down both flanks, particularly Ryan Lane down the left and quickly pushing Polperro on the defensive. Chances came and went before Parkway eventually took the lead on 20 mins through reserve team striker Finn McBeth. Parkway continued to dominate, restricting Polperro to the occasional breaks which were dealt with comfortably by the 3 man Parkway defence with Kyle Moore, the 1st team keeper, virtually untested. Around the half hour mark, Parkway rattled in 3 goals in about 5 mins through Elliot Cunningham and 2 from Shane Krac. Polperro were in danger of being overwhelmed but to their credit, worked hard to stem the tide, defended pretty well and went in to the half time break 4-0 down. Sam Hillson replaced Lane for Parkway at half time and the 2nd half saw Parkway continue to pour forward at will keeping possession, moving the ball around quickly and creating numerous further chances. Polperro continued to defend, at times desperately but could not prevent 4 further goals as the half progressed. McBeth got his 2nd with Glyn Hobbs, the SW Peninsula League's leading scorer, reserve team captain Stirling Woodside with a penalty and Mackenzy Hobbs, on as a substitute also finding the net. 2 youngsters, 16 year old Mackenzy Hobbs and 17 year old Jacob Cameron replaced Ben Joyce and Krac respectively during the course of the half as Parkway cruised home comfortably. Polperro kept going, competed well and had their moments in forcing Moore into a couple of saves midway through the half. The class between the 2 sides clearly reflected the difference in standard between the 2 leagues although it is worthy of note that 5 of the 8 goals were scored by regular Parkway reserve team players. It is hoped the run out for the 1st team players will have been of some benefit to them when they travel to Godolphin Atlantic on Sautrday in the SWPL while the reserves will entertain Liskeard Athletic reserves at Stadio Bolitho also on Saturday.

The rationale to be fair isn't of anyone's concern other than those at the club. 

Good luck for your game tomorrow.

Regardless of what I think regarding the team selection, very fair report on the game. 

I think this is pretty easy to summarise if I’m honest. As manager of St.Austell reserves, I like to think we have an outstanding link between our 1st and reserve team and there are only 2 reasons why I would ever take players from the 1st team squad:

-If we were short of players

-If first team players required minutes (this isn’t always possible to fit them in and our 1st team manager is very understanding of this)

In this instance it appears there is a combination of both from Parkway’s perspective. 

However, the only issue in this scenario for me, is how the reserve team players feel if they were left out. If they understand and accept it and are happy to turn up next week, then there’s no problem. But I’ve seen many examples of ECPL reserve sides loading up with players from other SWPL clubs and reserve team players left out as a result. Then the manager wondering why he can’t get a side for the next game when these players aren’t available.

I feel for Matt at Polperro in this instance but hopefully the proposed new league structure might change all this.

On the other side of the coin, we played against 10 St.Blazey players on Tuesday, with the 1st team playing on Wednesday, so Parkway are fortunate that their first team are willing to support them at least! 

Think this is done to death now isn't it?

Parkway 1st team went out and won 11-0 away to a Godolphin.

Reserves beat Liskeard 2-1 after losing to them earlier in the season. 

Both had full squads of 16 players. 

Everyone's happy. 

Probably time to discuss something else now! 

39 minutes ago, Devon29 said:

Think this is done to death now isn't it?

Parkway 1st team went out and won 11-0 away to a Godolphin.

Reserves beat Liskeard 2-1 after losing to them earlier in the season. 

Both had full squads of 16 players. 

Everyone's happy. 

Probably time to discuss something else now! 

liskeard had a stronger squad earlier in the season I recon ??

They put 4/5 in against us the other week-made a difference. But it’s no different to us using our cup game against tavi the other week to give 4/5 of our first team some match fitness etc. Second teams should be used as second teams. If the club is one club and runnas one club second team players need to understand they may miss out occasionally. 

What if parkway were in the semi final of the vase (representing the south west you might say) and hadn’t played for 4 weeks and the side needed match practice before the semi....is it still wrong then? Or is the club using all the tools available to them to succeed.