Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday football

With another weekend of postponements looming why don't the SWPL consider or offer Sunday  for the rescheduling of the long distant fixtures?

It was very common in the SWL days and even in the Western League  Falmouth volunteered to play Saturday and Sunday home & away weekends.

Falmouth are due at Cullompton on Saturday and If postponed I would have thought players would be more refreshed and prepared for a Sunday rather than  rush around at tea time after a days work.

Falmouth have in the past played midweek fixtures at Cullompton and Buckland which are probably the longest in the SWPL for midweek.

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

With another weekend of postponements looming why don't the SWPL consider or offer Sunday  for the rescheduling of the long distant fixtures?

It was very common in the SWL days and even in the Western League  Falmouth volunteered to play Saturday and Sunday home & away weekends.

Falmouth are due at Cullompton on Saturday and If postponed I would have thought players would be more refreshed and prepared for a Sunday rather than  rush around at tea time after a days work.

Falmouth have in the past played midweek fixtures at Cullompton and Buckland which are probably the longest in the SWPL for midweek.

No team should have to travel this distance for an evening fixture. I honestly believe that the swpl do not understand that people have to go to work and playing football is a second prority.

10 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

No team should have to travel this distance for an evening fixture. I honestly believe that the swpl do not understand that people have to go to work and playing football is a second prority.

Won't need to worry about it from season after next by the sounds of it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/03/2018 at 16:22, Mike Odgers said:

The rearranged game for Wtheridge v Helston is set for SUNDAY April 15th.with both clubs playing on the Saturday

Is this a first Sunday  League game for the Prem Div.?

It was a very amusing story from Steve Massey on Radio C.  recalling their Day out to Winkleigh yesterday comparing it to the Only Fools and Horses Day out to Margate .

You are such a good sport Steve seeing the funny side of a day which went completely wrong.

8 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

The rearranged game for Wtheridge v Helston is set for SUNDAY April 15th.with both clubs playing on the Saturday

It was a very amusing story from Steve Massey on Radio C.  recalling their Day out to Winkleigh yesterday compaing it to the Only Fools and Horses Day out to Margate -you are such a good sport Steve.

Did Newquay win at Callington on a Sunday a couple of seasons ago, avoiding relegation?

Mike didn’t we play Appledore Home on the Saturday and Clyst away on the Sunday once!? Around 91/92 would guess? Used to enjoy those odd double weekends we had. Think we played 11 games in 29 days at the end of one season once as well and still won it!! 89/90 maybe Mike? The old memory isn’t the best these days mate! ?⚽️

8 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

It was a very amusing story from Steve Massey on Radio C.  recalling their Day out to Winkleigh yesterday comparing it to the Only Fools and Horses Day out to Margate .

You are such a good sport Steve seeing the funny side of a day which went completely wrong.

No. Helston played Stoke Gabriel at home in the season they were relegated 

9 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Mike didn’t we play Appledore Home on the Saturday and Clyst away on the Sunday once!? Around 91/92 would guess? Used to enjoy those odd double weekends we had. Think we played 11 games in 29 days at the end of one season once as well and still won it!! 89/90 maybe Mike? The old memory isn’t the best these days mate! ?⚽️

Yes Mark it was a regular occurrance for Falmouth in WL & SWL but I was thinking Peninsula League which I dont see any for Falmouth on a Sunday.

In fact it was on a Sunday in the early 70's that I witnessed one of the great games at Priory Park. A SWL-top of the table clash saw  Bodmin Town 4 Falmouth Town 4  with 2000+ in attendance -

45 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Yes Mark it was a regular occurrance for Falmouth in WL & SWL but I was thinking Peninsula League which I dont see any for Falmouth on a Sunday.

In fact it was on a Sunday in the early 70's that I witnessed one of the great games at Priory Park. A SWL-top of the table clash saw  Bodmin Town 4 Falmouth Town 4  with 2000+ in attendance -

Wouldn't get 200 now !! Local football today reminds me of the Monty Python dead parrot sketch!

16 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Could say that about every football game that one has to pay to watch. 

Absolutely Dave, exactly what im saying. Starts right from the top. And people wonder why stadiums/grounds are half empty