Cornwall Football Forum

Change in League Structure

http://www.swpleague.co.uk/SouthWestPeninsulaleagueForum/topic/press-release-from-the-fa/

Maybe I am over reading this but it would suggest that  this involves some sort of merger between the SWPL Premier and the Western League Div 1 and that the current SWPL Management will take over the 2 x Step 6 Leagues but it is not clear  will run the  3 x Step 7s.

One would assume that the current Western League Premier will stay as the Step 5 option for any Clubs “qualified”and wanting to go to higher levels.

Seems as if this will allow those who want to stay in Cornwall to do so whilst still giving others a chance to try Step 5 if they finish high enough.

As previously stated, if Cornish clubs had chosen to try promotion, then there might have been enough of them in Western League by now to make the travelling less onerous.

Cornish "blockers" will be out of the way of ambitious Devon clubs.

Seems as if FA dont think that Devon and Cornwall deserve their own Step 5 league, which is surprising when you look @ results of cup matches between clubs.

26 minutes ago, shots said:

Cornish "blockers" will be out of the way of ambitious Devon clubs.

Although it's not just been Cornish clubs that have declined promotion has it. On four occasions (out of 10) Devon sides Buckland (twice), Plymouth Parkway and Tavistock have finished as champions and apart from Buckland on the second occasion went up.

But Buckland did go up and Parkway will do this season. A lot of Cornish clubs seem to be rooted in the past. It’s the Devon clubs that have improved facilities and shown more ambition in the past 10 years. Surely Bodmin could have gone into the western league and reduced their large playing budget to cover the extra costs. They could have targeted ambitious youngsters wanting to play at the highest level they could do. 

1 hour ago, Rob1978 said:

But Buckland did go up and Parkway will do this season. A lot of Cornish clubs seem to be rooted in the past. It’s the Devon clubs that have improved facilities and shown more ambition in the past 10 years. Surely Bodmin could have gone into the western league and reduced their large playing budget to cover the extra costs. They could have targeted ambitious youngsters wanting to play at the highest level they could do. 

I'm going to put it out there that its probably the travelling that puts most people off, and i know a lot of people say "oh back in my day it added to the thrill" etc, but realistically, travelling to exeter every other week isnt going to be attractive to many youngsters or anyone really for that matter, even with the offer of money. Falmouth for example are going well in the prem and if they were offered promotion im sure theyd say no, the extra cost of players travelling, plus the bus extra mileage isnt attractive

4 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

improved facilities

Callington, Camelford, Dobwalls, Godolphin Atlantic, Helston Athletic, Ludgvan, Mousehole, St Dennis, Sticker, Torpoint Athletic and Wendron have all undertaken significant ground improvements over recent seasons, in fact even Bodmin Town did a couple of seasons ago when they put up the big fencing around it alongwith with pitch surface improvements. 

SCFC has probably go it right with the last post.

You've also got to add in the sustainablity factor - Parkway are geared up to do it this season after bringing in an ambitious chairman a couple of years ago in Mark Russell. In fact I think I'm right in thinking he wants to go a lot higher than just Step 5. Presumably he's got the finances behind him to back that wish up.

The only reason Truro are where they are now is because they have had owners who have pumped in a lot of money - and see where that has got them!

From the latest proposals, it sounds like the FA have acknowledged that Cornish clubs aren't too fussed about playing Step 5. In fact from what I hear (and I must add I have not spoken directly with any official in the know), but I gather that with the two 20 club Step 6 divisions to be in reality a "Cornish Premier League" and a "Devon Premier League" with the Tamar the 'hard' border and all the clubs having to have floodlights already in place or presumably the planning permission arrangement as a stipulation, football in Cornwall will be even more parochial than in the SWL days!

Where it leaves finding clubs for the Cornwall based Step 7 division - who knows!

I was refering to the big names of Cornish football. After 10 years of peninsula football Saltash and Bodmin still do not have covered standing. Kimberley stadium hasn’t been improved in over 30 years. The clubs are treading water and getting left behind. Maybe step 5 is not a feasible option but clubs should always try to grow and develop themselves, whick in turn might attract more investment. Clubs will now loose their big games against Parkway/Argyle. It just seems as if Cornish football is going backwards.

55 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

I was refering to the big names of Cornish football. After 10 years of peninsula football Saltash and Bodmin still do not have covered standing. Kimberley stadium hasn’t been improved in over 30 years. The clubs are treading water and getting left behind. Maybe step 5 is not a feasible option but clubs should always try to grow and develop themselves, whick in turn might attract more investment. Clubs will now loose their big games against Parkway/Argyle. It just seems as if Cornish football is going backwards.

We’ve all got some - I suppose one might suggest Devon’s is Exmouth - in the past a Western League outfit!