Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawney League Cups Cancelled?

11 hours ago, Premier Sixes said:

No everything still on for an orderly finish. It’s taken 3 solid days to ensure the March fixtures are maximised to full, and we won’t get any cup quarters in until April. A few more weeks of rain will make things interesting mind.

Cant help but feel Trelawney League have announced this way too early! Good to hear Duchy haven't followed suit.

This weekend across Cornwall should be good for a game fingers crossed.
We are open to a home game back to back with our 2 teams on a Saturday and that idea should be put into practice before axing any competition. When weather allows two games that is.

9 minutes ago, Jimmer06 said:

Cant help but feel Trelawney League have announced this way too early! Good to hear Duchy haven't followed suit.

This weekend across Cornwall should be good for a game fingers crossed.
We are open to a home game back to back with our 2 teams on a Saturday and that idea should be put into practice before axing any competition. When weather allows two games that is.

We have done exactly this with our third and fourth teams! It’s about clubs being proactive! 

I totally understand the outrage this decision has caused and an EGM is probably the only way it can be reversed - so it's up to the required number of clubs to officially request one.

If anyone can make sensible suggestions to solve the fixturing problems caused by ground sharing (within the league as well as non-availability due to higher ranked teams), referee shortage, sharing with cricket - not to mention the weather, I'm sure the committee would welcome your input.

League games until May. Cup games then. Teams must be expected to play three games a week - Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday or Saturday, Monday, Wednesday.

When the Falmouth-Helston League had a 20 team division 2. Clubs were playing many games a week but more often than not all cup and league games were played.

Hopefully the league and clubs will make the right decision.

15 hours ago, John Mead said:

I totally understand the outrage this decision has caused and an EGM is probably the only way it can be reversed - so it's up to the required number of clubs to officially request one.

If anyone can make sensible suggestions to solve the fixturing problems caused by ground sharing (within the league as well as non-availability due to higher ranked teams), referee shortage, sharing with cricket - not to mention the weather, I'm sure the committee would welcome your input.

Who do we need to talk to in person? 

On 16/02/2018 at 15:55, CTrain1 said:

We were supposed to have a cup game this weekend, now we are left without a fixture at all. At least they gave us plenty of time to arrange another fixture, letting us know on a Thursday, nice one.

Exactly the same with my team, we were supposed to have a cup game on Saturday, I saw the post on Facebook and quickly informed our manager and some players, we were not overly hopeful to be given a league game but not sure if this was even looked into my the league... Imagine more than a few clubs had the same issue.

So the league cancel cups to ease the fixture backlog yet we had no fixtured game so kind of defeats the whole point! We still have 19 league games to play I believe and have not played since the beginning of December, Its all well and good suggesting early KO'S and double headers but in reality how many teams are going to be able to do this especially with such a huge backlog... 

I saw also online today about the new FA scheme and grants etc for new teams, We need less teams in each league not more mainly because there isn't enough referees to go around and secondly the season is too long as it is and people lose interest.

We could do with grants going towards referees etc, I know the current course is part funded as such but you still need to pay for it yourself and then the match fees for ref although expensive to paying clubs is nothing compared to the hassle the referee gets for 90 mins then to just stand up in the bar on his own after with everyone in the cursing him for one thing or another. 

6 hours ago, Mr Bean said:

end of the day teams have brought this on themselves. i know not all trams can play early kick offs but when teams choose not to due to rather kick off at 2.30 despite having a team that can play that and teams calling games off to protect pitches you will get bad back logs.

but i guess you also need a decent referee willing to do two games that day (potentially?).

As a outsider from out the area but likes to support cornish footie whilst on me hols, which Im down again in March/April, I dont feel the 60 mins games are fair..say for example 2 clubs have played twice and say top of the league has beaten bottom of the league say 7-0 and 8-0 in the 90 minute matches giving them a 15 goal advantage and then say second placed team hasnt yet played the bottom side and does this 2x 60 minutes matches and says win 4-0 and 6-0 and drew level on points at the end of the season, then surely there will be a disagreement that a club has lost on a unfair disadvantage as the team that has won the championship on goal difference played a extra 30 minutes. It is a hard decision for a league committee to  make, but a Emergency meeting with all clubs should really have been called and explained to and voted on.

7 hours ago, UtilityMan said:

Exactly the same with my team, we were supposed to have a cup game on Saturday, I saw the post on Facebook and quickly informed our manager and some players, we were not overly hopeful to be given a league game but not sure if this was even looked into my the league... Imagine more than a few clubs had the same issue.

So the league cancel cups to ease the fixture backlog yet we had no fixtured game so kind of defeats the whole point! We still have 19 league games to play I believe and have not played since the beginning of December, Its all well and good suggesting early KO'S and double headers but in reality how many teams are going to be able to do this especially with such a huge backlog... 

I saw also online today about the new FA scheme and grants etc for new teams, We need less teams in each league not more mainly because there isn't enough referees to go around and secondly the season is too long as it is and people lose interest.

We could do with grants going towards referees etc, I know the current course is part funded as such but you still need to pay for it yourself and then the match fees for ref although expensive to paying clubs is nothing compared to the hassle the referee gets for 90 mins then to just stand up in the bar on his own after with everyone in the cursing him for one thing or another. 

Agree that referees get the hassle - more than they deserve but some referees - Nigel Jewell, Nigel Nicholas, John Reid to name but a few are popular enough to have banter and a decent chat with some of the players after the game. I've never known a team on one side of the pub, the other team on the other and the ref by himself. If he is, have a chat with him, make him feel welcome, thank him for giving up his time. He will have done his best and wouldn't have got everything right but the game is gone and whether it was a one goal defeat or a nine goal win, it's no one's fault. C'est la vie.

9 minutes ago, Midlandsman said:

As a outsider from out the area but likes to support cornish footie whilst on me hols, which Im down again in March/April, I dont feel the 60 mins games are fair..say for example 2 clubs have played twice and say top of the league has beaten bottom of the league say 7-0 and 8-0 in the 90 minute matches giving them a 15 goal advantage and then say second placed team hasnt yet played the bottom side and does this 2x 60 minutes matches and says win 4-0 and 6-0 and drew level on points at the end of the season, then surely there will be a disagreement that a club has lost on a unfair disadvantage as the team that has won the championship on goal difference played a extra 30 minutes. It is a hard decision for a league committee to  make, but a Emergency meeting with all clubs should really have been called and explained to and voted on.

Make up some stupid rule like the Duckworth-Lewis method!? ? 

4 hours ago, zebedee said:

Simple answer ....

How many teams in your Div ?

Odd numbers means it's your turn to not get a game on 3rd

But don't let that stop you running us down again ! 

Yeah, fair point. Hadn’t looked at that. Could explain the similar circumstances earlier in the season too. My mistake!