Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawney League Cups Cancelled?

Just heard from a reliable source that the Trelawney league has decided to cancel all cup competitions due to the fixture backlog. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true it's an awful decision & will surely result in even less numbers as players will have less reason to turn up if their season is over but they have 15 games to play. 

25 minutes ago, Roy D said:

Just heard from a reliable source that the Trelawney league has decided to cancel all cup competitions due to the fixture backlog. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true it's an awful decision & will surely result in even less numbers as players will have less reason to turn up if their season is over but they have 15 games to play. 

its all over social media. I agree its a terrible decision, sat - mon - weds for a few weeks you would fit the back log in. i feel for the teams that battled hard to win pointless cup games. cornish football at a all time low!!

13 minutes ago, golong said:

its all over social media. I agree its a terrible decision, sat - mon - weds for a few weeks you would fit the back log in. i feel for the teams that battled hard to win pointless cup games. cornish football at a all time low!!

Absolute jokers. I don't think they've thought this through. Players play for a chance to win things. More teams will fold as a result of this.

It’s time more evening matches were played early in the season. Teams play friendlies early and then have hardly any league matches, so then play more friendlies. Surely teams could have played 10 league games by end of October. Get the evening matches in  

On another note, pitches aren’t played on when there is mud these days. Used to love those games. Sliding around everywhere. Sometimes they are waterlogged which is fair enough but I’m sure teams have called games off to save pitches only for it to then rain for weeks after and get waterlogged anyway. 

Anyway. That’s all for next season now I guess. 

Madness to get rid of cups. They are all that the majority of clubs left, had to play for this season. Getting a cup run going keeps your season alive for most clubs. Surely playing the nonsense that is double headers in the league would’ve been enough to catch up. 

8 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Someone said double headers for many teams? Double the referee fee for that home team? How can they justify charging two match fees for x2 60 min games as opposed to x2 90 min games? Will the league reimburse ALL clubs ALL of their cup fees they paid pre season? 

Each club pays one match fee each. And then split the mileage!

Just now, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

A Chinese whisper at the moment surely (?)

No I've just seen the statement from the Trelawney league.

A huge essay on how they will police double headers etc & why they've taken the decision to do double headers etc, with 1 sentence saying "All cup competitions will be cancelled", hoping nobody would notice I think ???

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Each club pays one match fee each. And then split the mileage!

'One match fee', for....only 2 thirds of normal match fee time (120 as opposed to 180). You're having an absolute laugh? At least **** Turpin wore a mask! If you think clubs should pay the full amount of match fees for only 2 thirds of the time then you my friend (probably a referee?) are deluded! 

I always like to support the league committee as they do a great job - but this decision is ridiculous. 

Its only Mid Feb and there are over 10 weeks left before the end of April - not sure when league finishes but it’s normally early May.  Most teams across the leagues only have about 10 game left to play - and AT MOST 3 Cup games - so it would involve a couple of mid week matches - which everyone expects anyway. 

This is not just a daft decision for Cup games, but the ‘press release’ states that double headers WILL be fixtured by the league (where the teams haven’t played yet) - this could easily mean that league titles are decided on double header games (if say top two teams are forced to play a double header) - we all know occasionally teams have absenteeism / sickness / hols etc - so when the game is played may really overly advantage one team or another.  

Also clubs will need reminding about rules - eg what if a player is sent off in the first game, can they play in the second, or playing higher ranked players. 

Leave it go - if clubs fail to meet  fixtures deal with it firmly as in previous seasons. If come mid April and the situation is critical - do something then. 

The decisions taken make a farce of the season - a team who has only played 8 games could by being allowing to play mid week and Sat - Sun games with a full squad and availability of dual registered or higher ranked players - win the league in a week!!!

16 minutes ago, Sijames said:

'One match fee', for....only 2 thirds of normal match fee time (120 as opposed to 180). You're having an absolute laugh? At least **** Turpin wore a mask! If you think clubs should pay the full amount of match fees for only 2 thirds of the time then you my friend (probably a referee?) are deluded! 

I won’t be on those games, haven’t made up the rules and don’t necessarily agree with them!

I just answered your question!

Just now, Sijames said:

Come to think of it, if a cup game goes to extra time and all the way through without a goal (120 mins), does the referee receive double the match fee? NO!!!!!! So why now? Because the league say it has to be x2 60 min 'games', rubbish, penny pinching men in black!!

Did the men in black make the decision regarding the fees? No!

16 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Did the men in black make the decision regarding the fees? No!

So none of you guys will accept x2 'match fees' then? Pfft!!!! Or because 'the league say so I best take it else they won't be happy' excuse will come out? How naive do you think the clubs are! If ANY official takes two match fees for these so called 'games' they should hang their heads in shame.

3 minutes ago, Sijames said:

So none of you guys will accept x2 'match fees' then? Pfft!!!! Or because 'the league say so I best take it else they won't be happy' excuse will come out? How naive do you think the clubs are! If ANY official takes two match fees for these so called 'games' they should hang their heads in shame.

If I did a double header then I certainly wouldn’t. Like you say I’d be there for around the same amount of time. But as referees are entitled to it then others may choose to.

Bloody hell guys are we all forgetting that the heavens opened up early December and no one has shut the bloody doors  since. I understand the frustration you all must be feeling but to blame the trelawney guys the refs etc, need a bit of calm here. Over the last two months no one has really thought about a cup game they’ve only surely thought about any frigging game? We have to sometimes bite the bullet only one thing to blame here the pissing rain?

10 minutes ago, MARKSY said:

Bloody hell guys are we all forgetting that the heavens opened up early December and no one has shut the bloody doors  since. I understand the frustration you all must be feeling but to blame the trelawney guys the refs etc, need a bit of calm here. Over the last two months no one has really thought about a cup game they’ve only surely thought about any frigging game? We have to sometimes bite the bullet only one thing to blame here the pissing rain?

Don't be daft, plenty of time left to play league and cup games! Just need to pull their fingers out and get some games fixtured in! The didn't even consult the teams, 'your league' they say every meeting yet when a decision is to be made about 'your league' no one asks! You need to get your head out the clouds old boy and think about what effect this will have on Cornish football, no prancing around worrying about what someone says when they want to speak the truth!

23 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Don't be daft, plenty of time left to play league and cup games! Just need to pull their fingers out and get some games fixtured in! The didn't even consult the teams, 'your league' they say every meeting yet when a decision is to be made about 'your league' no one asks! You need to get your head out the clouds old boy and think about what effect this will have on Cornish football, no prancing around worrying about what someone says when they want to speak the truth!

You are spot on. League should have spoken to every club or even called an emergency meeting asking each club to bring a representative. But they know if they did that every club would laugh at the proposals. Clubs will fold if this goes through, mark my words.

30 minutes ago, Sijames said:

The problem solver ??? well if my head is in the clouds ⛅️ I’d hate to think where yours is Si ???

4 hours ago, Sijames said:

Someone said double headers for many teams? Double the referee fee for that home team? How can they justify charging two match fees for x2 60 min games as opposed to x2 90 min games? Will the league reimburse ALL clubs ALL of their cup fees they paid pre season? 

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

Come to think of it, if a cup game goes to extra time and all the way through without a goal (120 mins), does the referee receive double the match fee? NO!!!!!! So why now? Because the league say it has to be x2 60 min 'games', rubbish, penny pinching men in black!!

@Sijames a message from the league.

After discussions with the Trelawny League I have agreed to help facilitate double headers on a Saturday starting in March. The fixture will be two x 60 minute games and the fee will be £27 (£13.50 from each club) plus 32p per mile. The Trelawny League has asked me to gauge interest so please get back to me if you would like to be considered for these games.

So a slight reduction in fee for each game. Does that sound fairer?

1 minute ago, cornishteddyboy said:

People on here moaning saying that there is plenty of time to get their games played and then play cup games. Problem, a shortage of referees. The men in black don't want to be officiating 7 days a week. 

They do for the right match few! 

@bighairydave appreciate that copy and paste from the league, fee is a little more reasonable albeit not really needed or justified.

When are the briefs going to take place to club officials for these x2 60 minute games? I.e. The rules of these games such as red cards in game one, can they play in game 2? Rolling subs? Coin toss at the end of game 1? How long for each half time (x2 of them still 15 minutes?)? A team sheet produced for each game, to be provided before game 1 or wait until that games completed to see if any injuries occur and then another before game 2 kicks off? Could you sign players on before game 2 that you didn't for game 1? If one of these 60 min games, gets abandoned at 55 minutes would BOTH games need to be played again, just that one, or none? 

These are ESSENTIAL items I have thought of whilst eating some ritz biscuits and having a tin of Magners, I dread to think of what sort of things actually need covering before these games happen!!! 

3 minutes ago, Sijames said:

They do for the right match few! 

@bighairydave appreciate that copy and paste from the league, fee is a little more reasonable albeit not really needed or justified.

When are the briefs going to take place to club officials for these x2 60 minute games? I.e. The rules of these games such as red cards in game one, can they play in game 2? Rolling subs? Coin toss at the end of game 1? How long for each half time (x2 of them still 15 minutes?)? A team sheet produced for each game, to be provided before game 1 or wait until that games completed to see if any injuries occur and then another before game 2 kicks off? Could you sign players on before game 2 that you didn't for game 1? If one of these 60 min games, gets abandoned at 55 minutes would BOTH games need to be played again, just that one, or none? 

These are ESSENTIAL items I have thought of whilst eating some ritz biscuits and having a tin of Magners, I dread to think of what sort of things actually need covering before these games happen!!! 

red cards in game one, can they play in game 2? Not sure

Rolling subs? Yes

Coin toss at the end of game 1? Yes, it will be a new game.

How long for each half time (x2 of them still 15 minutes?)? Reasonable time between game 1 and 2.

Ateam sheet produced for each game, to be provided before game 1 or wait until that games completed to see if any injuries occur and then another before game 2 kicks off? Same as league games, before each kick off.

Could you sign players on before game 2 that you didn't for game 1? Not sure.

Perhaps send an email to league sec/fixture sec for definite confirmation.

2 hours ago, Sijames said:

The referees had nothing to do with any of these decisions, so why are you calling us penny pitchers, no wonder we have a shortage of Ref's if that's the kind of attitude towards us and most of my match fees are between £25-£30 anyway, what with the distances we travel to get to games.

I don’t know about others but we started the season late and had weeks without fixtured games. Think we need to look at loading up fixtures early in the season including evening games and dropping to games every other week Dec - Jan. Would give space to refixture if weather is reasonable, stagger games for referees, give players a chance to keep partners happy with Xmas shopping trips, give pitches a chance to recoup and importantly, reduce the number of likely backlogged games at the end of the season. Cancelling peoples opportunities at silverware considering the leagues feel stagnant due to some of the new teams that have entered seems a real kick in the teeth for those who have put the time and effort in thus far.

A lot of income lost to clubs already this season due to cancellations, now more income lost due to more lost fixtures (!)

I hope the double headers are evened out on the fixtures to give a bit of income to all.

Myself I would have simply played a standard game and doubled the points up ...ie a normal fixture....normal costs.

But I do agree with many, the league should have asked the clubs for their ideas - and ran with the most favoured by the member clubs.

But hellfire what a wet season this has been - never seen anything like it....expecting Noah any day now !!!!!!!

Shocking decision but as someone already stated teams want to play friendlies all through August when league games could be played.

Play as many games early on and play friendlies part way through or at the end of the season if all games are completed early. 

This season has been wetter than any I have known but to cancel the cup games is mad. Play league games right up to May then cram them in then. Unless any team willingly withdraws.

15 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

A lot of income lost to clubs already this season due to cancellations, now more income lost due to more lost fixtures (!)

I hope the double headers are evened out on the fixtures to give a bit of income to all.

Myself I would have simply played a standard game and doubled the points up ...ie a normal fixture....normal costs.

But I do agree with many, the league should have asked the clubs for their ideas - and ran with the most favoured by the member clubs.

But hellfire what a wet season this has been - never seen anything like it....expecting Noah any day now !!!!!!!

I think FA rules prevent playing for double points as all games must be played. Hence the idea of reduces games for double headers.

3 hours ago, Jimmer06 said:

Duchy League aren’t thinking of doing the same are they? 

Silly decision this

No everything still on for an orderly finish. It’s taken 3 solid days to ensure the March fixtures are maximised to full, and we won’t get any cup quarters in until April. A few more weeks of rain will make things interesting mind.

Shocking. 

So many complications from league deciders to clubs losing trade and money. 

We’ve already lost enough trade over the past few months, vital money that keeps the club running and pays our bar staff. The loss of cups means that finals or semi finals won’t be hosted and further trade lost. We will be lucky if we don’t have to let any of our staff go because of the lack of games. 

Teams pay a fee to be entered into the leagues and cups, plus insurance. What is going to happen with that money? Are we going to see any return? 

As a player or manager, there are some teams that now only have cups to play for. They will lose all motivation and I bet some don’t fulfil their league fixtures because they have nothing to play for. This could have a massive say on promotion/relegation but worse, it could lead to clubs folding. 

The Trelawny League have done a great job so far. But this is completely outrageous and it makes a mockery of football in West Cornwall and the Trelawny League. We are only in February. Time has been lost but there are many more realistic and sensible options. I do not see any other league governing bodies hitting the panic button like this. I’ve been extremely supportive of the league but this does not put them in a good light. 

Josh McDonald

Very poor decision from the league, made even more frustrating by their absolute failure to consult their member clubs, who they always like to remind is ‘their league’.

I’ve been a huge fan of the league since it’s creation and think it has been impeccably run up until now, however this single decision could end up seriously undoing all of that good work.

There has been a total uproar on the Facebook post announcing the decision today. Aside from ‘liking’ the only slightly positive comment in their favour, and a single response to say that “all present members at the meeting voted in favour of the decision”, not a single person on the committee has had the b**ls to come forward and address any one of the 180+ responses from players, managers and club officials.

Some very important issues need to be addressed around reinbursment of affiliation fees, referee fees paid for completed cup games (that are now written off any record books), what financial support will be offered to the venues that host their finals year on year who will now miss out on bar takings and revenue for hosting the events.

Let alone how they will resolve the inevitable exodus of yet more players from the game who play for sides without anything left to play for. How can a manager motivate a group of ambitious lads (who were previously fighting for starting positions in important cup games) to fulfil some 10-15 league fixtures, if said side have no chance of promotion?! 

Crazy, impulsive decision, made far too early in the season. As players we’ve been used to playing 2-3 games a week for several weeks towards the end of a season for years. Yes it’s hard going on the legs, but it’s a part of the game most of us are used to by now, it’s never been a massive issue before! 

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Even if they did consult with county FA - at the end of the day, it is the league’s decision!

0C4A5A22-5C83-4037-8901-14C51D4D8A1F.jpeg

Didn’t know if they had an opinion on it? Seems a silly decision in my personal opinion and to not have the backing of said county fa seems even more ludicrous. 

Just for the record and because it has been mentioned on a number of occasions about the “no response from the League”... I refuse to have anything to do with this!

I was not at the meeting as I am working in the Middle East; the first I heard about it was when I started getting  notifications through on my phone after the post was put on Facebook.

I have made my feelings known to a few members of the committee privately; I have also sent an email to the whole of the committee expressing my disapproval of this decision! I understand why the decision has been made but I am of the opinion we could have sorted something out to avoid all of the cups being canned.

I refuse to have anything to do with a decision which I have absolutely no control or say over. Usually I’m the one that posts on our Facebook page and on here, I won’t be doing that with regards to this decision. That is why you have heard pretty much nothing from the league. 

In my opinion, this should have been put to the clubs before a decision was made! 

As a player, we all want to be playing in Cup games! You can’t beat a cup run and a cup win!

Let me reiterate that my comments above are purely my own and have absolutely nothing to do with the League, 

As this decision has,not gone down well with a lot of clubs,could the league not reconsider their decision?They quite rightly are concerned about the backlog of fixtures but surely asking clubs to co-operate with double headers and play with nominated refs at all times and not play any cup games until backlog has improved they may still be able to complete the season and regain some respect.This decision in early April would have been far less controversial.

I have just read through the rule book of ‘the club’s league’: The Whirlwind Sports Trelawny League 2017/18 (I’ve had a bit of spare time). According to Rule 19a if two thirds of the club’s secretaries contact the league then they must hold a Special General Meeting.  If this is done then we can address this issue. 
More disappointingly, the rule 19b states that the management committee can call a Special General Meeting at any time: surely this decision warranted a SGM?

Furthermore, rule 20a states that any rule changes must be made at an AGM or SGM (Special General Meeting). Is the introduction of double headers and the cancellation of cups not a rule change, once again, to the best of my knowledge, this hasn’t been discussed at an AGM or SGM. 

Lastly, rule 23a states that dissolution of the competition shall be by resolution approved at a SGM by a majority of three quarters of the members present. Surely the cancellation of all of the cup competitions is a dissolution of competition; I reiterate that no SGM - to the best of my knowledge - had been called. 

I see the Trelawny League has ‘liked’ one reply to the post on Facebook. This tells me that you are aware of the replies and stir that this has caused. So could you please reply to my comment? 
I intend to write to all of the club’s secretaries and propose a SGM, would it be easier if you emailed them or shall I? 
Thanks

7 hours ago, B_D said:

Just for the record and because it has been mentioned on a number of occasions about the “no response from the League”... I refuse to have anything to do with this!

I was not at the meeting as I am working in the Middle East; the first I heard about it was when I started getting  notifications through on my phone after the post was put on Facebook.

I have made my feelings known to a few members of the committee privately; I have also sent an email to the whole of the committee expressing my disapproval of this decision! I understand why the decision has been made but I am of the opinion we could have sorted something out to avoid all of the cups being canned.

I refuse to have anything to do with a decision which I have absolutely no control or say over. Usually I’m the one that posts on our Facebook page and on here, I won’t be doing that with regards to this decision. That is why you have heard pretty much nothing from the league. 

In my opinion, this should have been put to the clubs before a decision was made! 

As a player, we all want to be playing in Cup games! You can’t beat a cup run and a cup win!

Let me reiterate that my comments above are purely my own and have absolutely nothing to do with the League, 

Perhaps @zebedee could make a comment then? I'd be interested to see his response to @WendronOfficial post and valid points about the leagues own rules being breached by themselves...