Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League Favourites

St Dennis

St Newlyn East

Stoke Climsland

Lamerton

Polperro

Slightly different approach with my premier division winner, but St Dennis always finish the season strong and should make up ground with games in hand.

other predictions are purely off current league tables.

sadly both duchy Saltash teams are out of the running for their respective titles but there is hope in ECPL and SWPL lol

North Petherwin, St Stephen, St Dennis, Foxhole and St Mawgan are my guess. I reckon 5 applied

St Stephen are a good young footballing side. experienced in terms of always been there or there abouts in many competitions, not old heads. St Dennis could have a late push. Veryan and St Mawgan could take it all the way to the last weekend.

Prem could be interesting and could go down to the wire. Most of the other leagues look like its between 2 teams.

14 hours ago, davegrose said:

Jealous much?

A bit harsh on St Dennis saying that. Always had good sides but have probably lost players at times throughout the season. Which has happened with us at Biscovey. After a promising start in September we’ve gone to rat shit and the exodus has ruined us. Got some new players signed on but haven’t played in almost 3 months!!

Of the teams I’ve played against this season I think Sticker have impressed me most. Great club, great set-up!

Grosey I think it’s time we concentrate on just Veterans league old pal. ‘Tis a young mans game on a Saturday now! Sticker being a prime example.

Good to see my old club Lostwithiel doing so well. I think we are the only team to have inflicted defeat on them so far this season? 

My good mate Billy still churning out ‘De Gea’ type performances week in, week out!

What I do believe is that this is the strongest Premier Division I’ve seen for a long time. Very competitive and some cracking players on show. Most teams would be fine in East Cornwall 1. 

Let’s hope the rain buggers off and we can all pull the boots on again! 

8 hours ago, morcs said:

A bit harsh on St Dennis saying that. Always had good sides but have probably lost players at times throughout the season. Which has happened with us at Biscovey. After a promising start in September we’ve gone to rat shit and the exodus has ruined us. Got some new players signed on but haven’t played in almost 3 months!!

Of the teams I’ve played against this season I think Sticker have impressed me most. Great club, great set-up!

Grosey I think it’s time we concentrate on just Veterans league old pal. ‘Tis a young mans game on a Saturday now! Sticker being a prime example.

Good to see my old club Lostwithiel doing so well. I think we are the only team to have inflicted defeat on them so far this season? 

My good mate Billy still churning out ‘De Gea’ type performances week in, week out!

What I do believe is that this is the strongest Premier Division I’ve seen for a long time. Very competitive and some cracking players on show. Most teams would be fine in East Cornwall 1. 

Let’s hope the rain buggers off and we can all pull the boots on again! 

Star man is fishing for bites he's prob the same person as Harry gords Bryan jones n Leeds United on here,just a pest nothing more nothing less lol

9 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

That would be a novelty !!

trivia quiz - what was the last team to actually be relegated from the ECPL and when ?

Probably lost a team each season due to folding. However, they should promote a extra team and still relegate the bottom club. They're bottom for a reason.

Nanpean hung on for years.

30 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Suggests that Duchy being walked all over

Certainly not the way promotion and relegation should be working Richard but we are in control of the promotion side of things with just one team being allowed up (the Premier champions if eligible). Unfortunately too many sides have dropped out of  the ECPL and it is still 5 teams short of a full compliment . It will be interesting to see what, if any, difference the Peninsula League's plans will have.

9 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

Certainly not the way promotion and relegation should be working Richard but we are in control of the promotion side of things with just one team being allowed up (the Premier champions if eligible). Unfortunately too many sides have dropped out of  the ECPL and it is still 5 teams short of a full compliment . It will be interesting to see what, if any, difference the Peninsula League's plans will have.

What is a full compliment. They have only had two divisions for a short while ?

On 19 February 2018 at 22:26, Paul Collings said:

Promote top 5 of duchy prem end of season,problem solved!

12 minutes ago, davegrose said:

Promote top 5 of duchy prem end of season,problem solved!

It sounds simple Dave and is a perfectly valid suggestion but it would only work in the long term if no more sides ever withdrew from the ECPL. Given the long list of withdrawals in recent years I think that is  highly unlikely but it is all a matter of opinion.

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

Surely all this speculation would end if CCFA have their  way and amalgamate Duchy/ECPL and Trelawney/Combo.

Paul-your thoughts on  a possible merger please.

The Duchy & EC Leagues both have 50+ years of history that isn't easy to abandon and at present I don't see much appetite from either league to join forces. Its not something that I personally favour but i'm one of the dinosaurs and it is probably something that the younger generation should be thinking about.

11 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is this idea something that is coming from the FA that the county FA will then have to somehow push through?

Are there any in both League set-ups around that in a few years time will be wanting to take over? 

My take on the situation is that the FA needs to at least maintain numbers of adult Saturday teams and hopefully increase them. I can’t believe the FA has any real interest in the likes of the Duchy and East Cornwall Leagues but obviously it comes down to the County FAs to actually implement measures that will achieve this.

It would appear that Cornwall FA believes that amalgamating our leagues and making all clubs charter standard would help to maintain and then increase team numbers. It is all a matter of opinion and nobody really knows of course. What we do all know is that there are a number of reasons why there is a decline at our level.

I suspect most people would think it unreasonable for the FA to enforce a merger but I guess somewhere down the line if that is what they want then it will happen or perhaps a new league will be created and both our leagues will die a natural death.

Obviously any changes at Peninsula level will impact on our leagues, to what extent we will find out in due course.

The answer to your second question I think is ‘no’  -  but perhaps there are people out there that would step forward if the old guard departed – who knows. Certainly the Duchy’s fixture secretary, Dan Code, is of the next generation and we could all do with more like him.

11 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is this idea something that is coming from the FA that the county FA will then have to somehow push through?

Are there any in both League set-ups around that in a few years time will be wanting to take over? 

Trelawney and Combo will probably amalgamate, but regards to Duchy and ECPL cannot see that happening.  Cornwall FA can ask the question but it is down to the respected leagues, including Clubs, that must agree and that is a long way off.  It was mentioned that a younger generation could take on the role of committee members to run the league.  That will not happen, too much work involved, that will be the only time when leagues could join forces.  In the past, Leagues in West Devon have amalgamated, and it has worked fine.  But this was due to Plymouth City Council selling off green areas for house building and leasing pitches to Rugby Clubs etc etc.

On 22 February 2018 at 19:06, Paul Collings said:

It sounds simple Dave and is a perfectly valid suggestion but it would only work in the long term if no more sides ever withdrew from the ECPL. Given the long list of withdrawals in recent years I think that is  highly unlikely but it is all a matter of opinion.

Can't the clubs in the ecl/ecpl vote on it? Surely it wud benefit them in the long run?

Not sure what to make of the proposals really.

Regional Cornwall and Devon leagues, with a more competitive step 7 league sound quite good, depending on where you are situated. I’d have liked to have seen all Peninsula Reserve sides in their own league, as (whilst I accept they have a place somewhere) they block the progression of other first teams through the pyramid system. Let them fight it out for a Reserve team title and cup in their own league. 

Positives are bringing the funding that comes with step 7 football closer to the smaller clubs among us. 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Not sure what to make of the proposals really.

Regional Cornwall and Devon leagues, with a more competitive step 7 league sound quite good, depending on where you are situated. I’d have liked to have seen all Peninsula Reserve sides in their own league, as (whilst I accept they have a place somewhere) they block the progression of other first teams through the pyramid system. Let them fight it out for a Reserve team title and cup in their own league. 

Positives are bringing the funding that comes with step 7 football closer to the smaller clubs among us. 

Bit more travelling to come for you Matt!