Cornwall Football Forum
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
fenman

reasons for decline in lower level football

Can anyone give a reason why football at lower levels has declined so dramatically in the last 5 years or so ? . I know many will say that young people are more interested in x box and other modern marvels than playing the game and I know that work patterns have changed  with many young men working in the retail industry ( used to be called shops when I was young ! ). But there must be other reasons  . Is it playing youth football from the age of 6 diluting the desire to carry on and represent your town or village when you are older ? . Is the all weekend coverage of Premiership and Championship games taking the magic out of playing the game by it's saturation effect ?. The standard s and abilities of players have dropped as well , here in East Anglia     the semi pro teams are having to sign players  from the North Essex and London area  because of the lack of players with the ability to play at their level . The financial result of this is crippling  some of these clubs . At the lower levels here   in Norfolk teams are folding  at the rate of one a fortnight  and sadly some clubs have indicated that  they will fold at the end of this season due to lack of players . In the equivalent of  your  Duchy or Trelawney leagues  divisions 2 down to 6  some teams are losing by almost cricket scores  for example . one division 2 team has conceded  146 goals in 19 games , another in division 4  , 146 in 17  . games are  called of every week through shortage of players . Things are so bad that most leagues now award the points to the other team rather than try to re arrange games in an already crowded schedule . In my own league  one team has conceded 250 goal in 14 games , you have to admire them for carrying on , but its not good .

The FA  recently  carried out a grassroots survey nationally to determine why clubs are folding , its easy to be critical  , but they asked the wrong questions , for example has having a prayer room at the ground really got relevance to the decline ? it might be for a few in inner cities I suppose .For a few seasons now all registered players are registered on the FA database , why can't they contact a few of those that are on there but no longer play , why they no longer play ? . Why have the standards and skills of players dropped so alarmingly ? We a re led to believe that modern coaching of youth players leads to better players in adulthood . I've yet to see it in the many grassroots games that I watch  . Players can no longer dribble past opponents , pass a ball with any accuracy or header a ball ( moot point at the moment ) and their communication skills on the pitch is almost non existent , except when abusing officials . Many ex professionals  such as Chris Waddle and Chris Sutton  think that modern coaching  has prevented young players from the freedom of expression with the ball . They  haven't spent the hours of playing  with friends on waste ground  for hours on end  or playing  with just 2 or 3  doing keepy ups and that sort of thing . In short that don't   develop ball skills . I think this is reflected in British  professional players . How many  have the ability to dribble past defenders and put accurate crosses in ? The seem to start with great promise and stagnate   . There are many examples of this Walcott being one , great promise to start with but has never progressed to being a great player . There are many others .

Hopefully a few young players will respond to my question as to why their friends either no longer play football or don't play at all .

Fenman very good post  again , i think all the above reasons you stated . Also in Cornwall a big surfing community , lots   going to the gym  , cycling , and general lack of interest in sport .

Bit of a disappointing response . I was hoping that some young contributors would post some reasons why they or their friends no longer play football . There must be  reasons other than x box and work . Surely  we can't have lost complete leagues of 40 plus teams in the last 10 years  because of those two reasons alone !!!!! . This is a good forum ( in my opinion )  as I've said before .Unlike  anti social media , sorry social media , and other forums people are able to give opinions and discuss topics in a sensible way without fear of abusive replies , so take advantage of this and give us older has been's the reasons why the game is collapsing .

The reason I'm particularly interested is that I'm involved with a league  here in Norfolk and we are lucky enough to have evening discussions with the FA  . This subject is often coming up in these meetings because the situation up here is dire as regards clubs folding  but nobody knows why. We cannot seem to grasp the mindset of young people .Unfortunately we don't have a forum to use in order to reach out to young people  Our forums have all been closed due to abuse so take advantage of yours .

1 hour ago, fenman said:

Bit of a disappointing response . I was hoping that some young contributors would post some reasons why they or their friends no longer play football . There must be  reasons other than x box and work . Surely  we can't have lost complete leagues of 40 plus teams in the last 10 years  because of those two reasons alone !!!!! . This is a good forum ( in my opinion )  as I've said before .Unlike  anti social media , sorry social media , and other forums people are able to give opinions and discuss topics in a sensible way without fear of abusive replies , so take advantage of this and give us older has been's the reasons why the game is collapsing .

Like I said, laziness, can't even respond on a forum.

23 hours ago, fenman said:

Can anyone give a reason why football at lower levels has declined so dramatically in the last 5 years or so ? . I know many will say that young people are more interested in x box and other modern marvels than playing the game and I know that work patterns have changed  with many young men working in the retail industry ( used to be called shops when I was young ! ). But there must be other reasons  . Is it playing youth football from the age of 6 diluting the desire to carry on and represent your town or village when you are older ? . Is the all weekend coverage of Premiership and Championship games taking the magic out of playing the game by it's saturation effect ?. The standard s and abilities of players have dropped as well , here in East Anglia     the semi pro teams are having to sign players  from the North Essex and London area  because of the lack of players with the ability to play at their level . The financial result of this is crippling  some of these clubs . At the lower levels here   in Norfolk teams are folding  at the rate of one a fortnight  and sadly some clubs have indicated that  they will fold at the end of this season due to lack of players . In the equivalent of  your  Duchy or Trelawney leagues  divisions 2 down to 6  some teams are losing by almost cricket scores  for example . one division 2 team has conceded  146 goals in 19 games , another in division 4  , 146 in 17  . games are  called of every week through shortage of players . Things are so bad that most leagues now award the points to the other team rather than try to re arrange games in an already crowded schedule . In my own league  one team has conceded 250 goal in 14 games , you have to admire them for carrying on , but its not good .

The FA  recently  carried out a grassroots survey nationally to determine why clubs are folding , its easy to be critical  , but they asked the wrong questions , for example has having a prayer room at the ground really got relevance to the decline ? it might be for a few in inner cities I suppose .For a few seasons now all registered players are registered on the FA database , why can't they contact a few of those that are on there but no longer play , why they no longer play ? . Why have the standards and skills of players dropped so alarmingly ? We a re led to believe that modern coaching of youth players leads to better players in adulthood . I've yet to see it in the many grassroots games that I watch  . Players can no longer dribble past opponents , pass a ball with any accuracy or header a ball ( moot point at the moment ) and their communication skills on the pitch is almost non existent , except when abusing officials . Many ex professionals  such as Chris Waddle and Chris Sutton  think that modern coaching  has prevented young players from the freedom of expression with the ball . They  haven't spent the hours of playing  with friends on waste ground  for hours on end  or playing  with just 2 or 3  doing keepy ups and that sort of thing . In short that don't   develop ball skills . I think this is reflected in British  professional players . How many  have the ability to dribble past defenders and put accurate crosses in ? The seem to start with great promise and stagnate   . There are many examples of this Walcott being one , great promise to start with but has never progressed to being a great player . There are many others .

Hopefully a few young players will respond to my question as to why their friends either no longer play football or don't play at all .

Good post fenman and a most worrying subject too. Rule changes have not helped the game. Players these days so often funk the tackle, instead of trying to dribble around an opponent. Passing instead of trying to dribble around an opponent is ok if your only intent is keeping possession, rather than run the risk of losing it. However this constant passing back, often across your own penalty area is madness, and so boring to watch. But rule changes have brought this about too. The FA seen to have forgotten it's a contact sport. These days players diving has brought about a fear of too much contact as well, which in turn has changed the whole scenario of how the game is played. 

Another factor that may be driving away interest from youngsters, is that many schools don't encourage the game now. Some schools won't have team games '''because you cant have losers''' and competition brings losers ! Blimey if that philosophy is continued, once they leave school the teenagers will have a massive shock when they realise life outside of school is one big competition, and only the best or fittest survive and or, progress.

Yes it would be good to hear from some younger players on this subject.

21 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Laziness and a snowflake generation who can't face the fact you get hurt sometimes and lose games.

That's another reason too CTB.

I really believe that the impact of two of the last three winters being a complete washout will have a longer term effect on the grassroots game in Cornwall. It's bad enough trying to find a game that's still on to watch on a Saturday. If I was a young player who hadn't managed to get a game since Christmas because of the weather I'd be demoralised. Knowing that I'd then be expected to play three games a week come April/May, on top of work or study, and I'd wonder what the point was. 

5 hours ago, rougvie said:

I really believe that the impact of two of the last three winters being a complete washout will have a longer term effect on the grassroots game in Cornwall. It's bad enough trying to find a game that's still on to watch on a Saturday. If I was a young player who hadn't managed to get a game since Christmas because of the weather I'd be demoralised. Knowing that I'd then be expected to play three games a week come April/May, on top of work or study, and I'd wonder what the point was. 

Yup, we have some who have not played for 9 weeks ....forgot what they look like now.

On 11/02/2018 at 11:59, fenman said:

It's a difficult one when trying to think of a single reason as to why football is declining locally. The involvement is definitely dropping, as is the commitment needed to keep clubs running. I do think the national FA haven't done enough in trying to keep grassroots football at an acceptable level, one in which we can be proud of. I think they need to identify what more could be done to not just sustain but also increase involvement within the game. Once they've done that they'll almost definitely need to invest more money in to grassroots football. Not just that, they'll need to come up with more initiatives that will entice people in.

Why do I no longer play football? A couple of reasons really. I wasn't getting a huge amount of minutes on the pitch. But also I didn't have much confidence in my ability to be able to play at my best each week. Instead I thought my services were probably more needed away from the pitch, doing things behind the scenes. That and I want to move in to managing when the right opportunity becomes available.

Is there a chance School/College work is becoming harder and parents pressuring that instead?

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:44, cornishteddyboy said:

Laziness and a snowflake generation who can't face the fact you get hurt sometimes and lose games.

CTB has hit the nail on the head I think. Referring to the getting hurt part, maybe families cant afford to be off work if risking a serious injury on a Saturday/sunday?

The age of playing mens football should go back to 14. That's when I started playing and kept interest from kids football right the way through, will never happen though. Rarely see youngsters play the game now. Real shame.

Gordsy.

2 hours ago, Harry Gords said:

Is there a chance School/College work is becoming harder and parents pressuring that instead?

CTB has hit the nail on the head I think. Referring to the getting hurt part, maybe families cant afford to be off work if risking a serious injury on a Saturday/sunday?

The age of playing mens football should go back to 14. That's when I started playing and kept interest from kids football right the way through, will never happen though. Rarely see youngsters play the game now. Real shame.

Gordsy.

calm down pidge

Thanks for response . I went to our county FA's meeting last night and because of the seriousness of this problem this subject was  the main thing on the agenda . The conclusion was after much debate amongst all the adult leagues that it is a lost cause . Young people have either lost interest in or the desire to carry on playing football after 17 -ish  and  in spite of efforts to retain them after  youth football , the majority stop playing . Allowance has to be made for university and work  , but even so the future looks grim .Statistics proved that there is a  decline  in  the number of 16 to 19 year olds playing in adult football . The question of reducing the age to play adult football  down to 15 years old was raised . The national FA  say that players under 16 are not physically capable  of playing football with adults . I know at least  3 of you will laugh at this  and reminisce  how you played against 6foot tall , 18 stone ex. semi pros and coped reasonably well at the age of 14 or 15 , in the 60's . Many of the grizzled old men at the meeting  came out with similar points . Unfortunately  , as the county FA said they don't make the rules . Even the mid week 5 aside games are fading away  after a bright start 3 or 4 years ago . This could cause a few problems financially due to the huge  cost of maintaining  3 g pitches .

I suppose the topic comes to an end .

To much organised youth football, they've been playing 10 years before they get to that age, and with dads telling them to drop off, go wide and all the rest of what I've heard at these games ....no wonder they're fed up with it.

W used to put a couple of jumpers down and away we went for 6 odd hours a day ....dreaming of the day when we could play in an organised league.

Then Saturday was match of the day ...nothing else, today you can watch every game played in the world, the mystery is gone with that scenario.

A serious number of teams / clubs to fold yet I fear.

57 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

To much organised youth football, they've been playing 10 years before they get to that age, and with dads telling them to drop off, go wide and all the rest of what I've heard at these games ....no wonder they're fed up with it.

W used to put a couple of jumpers down and away we went for 6 odd hours a day ....dreaming of the day when we could play in an organised league.

Then Saturday was match of the day ...nothing else, today you can watch every game played in the world, the mystery is gone with that scenario.

A serious number of teams / clubs to fold yet I fear.

Have to agree older , to many parents trying to live through their kids on the pitch , and not having a clue even over the basic laws eg offside , kids rebel when they become teenagers , some carry on but not many even some coaches drop out when the kids reach 16 , perhaps they should try to help with the transition from youth to adult football ., I like the old jumpers for goalposts on the recreation ground , not organized , next goal wins ECT ECT , and then finish up with a game of murder ball , my misspent youth .

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Have to agree older , to many parents trying to live through their kids on the pitch , and not having a clue even over the basic laws eg offside , kids rebel when they become teenagers , some carry on but not many even some coaches drop out when the kids reach 16 , perhaps they should try to help with the transition from youth to adult football ., I like the old jumpers for goalposts on the recreation ground , not organized , next goal wins ECT ECT , and then finish up with a game of murder ball , my misspent youth .

Ha, ha Steve ...nothing wrongt there buddy ....who was this Miss spent you mentioned (?)

From a management point of view, players don't want (certainly more so the younger ones) to earn their places, through previous seasons, I have seen players sign for 3 or more clubs in a season to find one that will get them (usually through struggling for players) a full 90 every week. I have had players quit because they started on the bench for a game, only wanting to play if their mate(s) play, and in one case a player actually asked for a transfer after being taken off after 75 minutes. 

In my opinion there's no fun in the game anymore. Everyone seems to take it far to seriously. Where are the 'characters' in the game nowadays? I know someone who has stopped watching local football due to the amount of foul and abusive language. Football really does need to sort itself out. If the product is good people will come to play and watch!