Cornwall Football Forum
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fenman

reasons for decline in lower level football

Registrations and transfers have closed for this season in the Trelawny League.

I haven't compiled all the stats yet but this season has seen us lose a total of 79 (off the top of my head) registrations to this season compared to last, which was significantly lower. We do however have less teams in the league now.

When I get some time, I'll get a list of stats together for you to see how the decline is affecting the grassroots game in the west.

You'll get the accurate stats at the end of the season when I can get player appearance numbers etc.

On first glance, we are still losing the majority of people in the 29-33 category than any other age group. 

Reply for little bit of a dino .

Just to clarify the point about the FA's questionnaire  , Over 2 seasons the County FA  sent a questionnaire  to every registered player in the county . As this was from a database several players who were on the previous  years registration but not the current seasons (  does that make sense ? ) were included . I can't recall all of the questions  but from memory  they included " how can we encourage more people to play " " what effect does travel have on your willingness to play "  there were loads of question about advance fixtures , changing rooms , referees and fines . Only a tiny number of the thousands of people involved in the game bothered to complete the survey . Some of the responses were abusive  to FA  officials , so all in all  it was all a waste of time .Last season the national FA did a similar survey with roughly a similar set of questions , again the response was abysmal .

I did an oral survey among a few ( 25 to 30 ) teenagers to see why they either didn't  carry on  playing or had never played . The majority said that they had lost interest in playing because it meant committing  themselves to every Saturday whereas with skateboarding , for instance , you could do it as and when you felt like it. 2 or 3 didn't play because they didn't know how to contact any clubs .

People of my generation must find the last point  astounding , to think that a 17 year old nearly old enough to vote , hasn't got the wit to find himself a club , when there are clubs crying out for players . 

15 hours ago, fenman said:

Reply for little bit of a dino .

Just to clarify the point about the FA's questionnaire  , Over 2 seasons the County FA  sent a questionnaire  to every registered player in the county . As this was from a database several players who were on the previous  years registration but not the current seasons (  does that make sense ? ) were included . I can't recall all of the questions  but from memory  they included " how can we encourage more people to play " " what effect does travel have on your willingness to play "  there were loads of question about advance fixtures , changing rooms , referees and fines . Only a tiny number of the thousands of people involved in the game bothered to complete the survey . Some of the responses were abusive  to FA  officials , so all in all  it was all a waste of time .Last season the national FA did a similar survey with roughly a similar set of questions , again the response was abysmal .

I did an oral survey among a few ( 25 to 30 ) teenagers to see why they either didn't  carry on  playing or had never played . The majority said that they had lost interest in playing because it meant committing  themselves to every Saturday whereas with skateboarding , for instance , you could do it as and when you felt like it. 2 or 3 didn't play because they didn't know how to contact any clubs .

People of my generation must find the last point  astounding , to think that a 17 year old nearly old enough to vote , hasn't got the wit to find himself a club , when there are clubs crying out for players . 

Very concerning!

Fenman  just a side note I have just played on Sunday my first walking football , bloody great  really enjoyed kicking a ball around after all these years , back next week  looking forward to it .