Cornwall Football Forum

Sportsmanship

With games being called off all over the place today and the foul weather, thought I would take in the Six Nation Rugby Tournament.

Ireland v Italy played in the right spirit and all decisions made by the referee were accepted by the players, heard and viewable on television.

England v Wales, again played in the right spirit, apart from one "handbags at ten yards", again decisions by the referee accepted, heard and viewable.

Which questions why football is still in the Fred Flintstone era?

Surely, given the equipment available, football could "clean its act up" and make it more sporting.

The referee decisions would be recorded for possible disciplinary action at county level and the game would become, perhaps more sporting.

Agree with rhino, the amount of games I have been to this season and from the off you can see what the games going to be like, pretty much every game has started without the 'respect' handshake, another good idea that even the officials are bored of? Can't be bothered maybe? Doesn't set a good tone for the game. Trelawny games are even worse, add in this new sin bin law that again I haven't seen at any of my ten games I've witnessed this season, despite the fact it should of been used on multiple occasions! 

7 hours ago, Sijames said:

add in this new sin bin law that again I haven't seen at any of my ten games I've witnessed this season, despite the fact it should of been used on multiple occasions! 

Better get use to the Sin Bin idea - I hear it’s coming in from step 5 downward !

Although it is subject at the moment to the FA agreeing some form of compensation to County FAs for lost of revenue as a result of less yellow cards, so it’s not quite done and dusted yet!

On 10/02/2018 at 21:33, scousemouse said:

With games being called off all over the place today and the foul weather, thought I would take in the Six Nation Rugby Tournament.

Ireland v Italy played in the right spirit and all decisions made by the referee were accepted by the players, heard and viewable on television.

England v Wales, again played in the right spirit, apart from one "handbags at ten yards", again decisions by the referee accepted, heard and viewable.

Which questions why football is still in the Fred Flintstone era?

Surely, given the equipment available, football could "clean its act up" and make it more sporting.

The referee decisions would be recorded for possible disciplinary action at county level and the game would become, perhaps more sporting.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/young-referee-calls-officials-allowed-13741281

9 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Having watched lots of rugby, there are many clips on YouTube of the way referees deal with players and how the players accept them. If only football could follow suit. Equip the Football League officials with microphones and hopefully that will help to stamp out abuse.

I've got to agree with you there, cannot believe officials havent been given microphones. That way we can A hear what is being said to them and B hear what they are saying to see if they are not applying the rules correctly

15 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Having watched lots of rugby, there are many clips on YouTube of the way referees deal with players and how the players accept them. If only football could follow suit. Equip the Football League officials with microphones and hopefully that will help to stamp out abuse.

Surely this is the way forward! The managers and players who dish out the abuse to officials are not the majority, but the minority. But this minority are simply "bully boys", who surely have something not "wired up" properly.