Cornwall Football Forum

Offside Law

St Darren

Can someone with any knowledge please explain how Harry Kane was not offside in yesterday’s game?

The pass was intended for him therefore he’s offside and interfering with play. But the law states that because Lovren has deliberately made an attempt to play the ball its second phase!!! Seriously?

so in that instance what would the Lino had done if the wall went to the keeper and he picked it up?

the officials have a tough job because of the ridiculous laws that there are

52 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Can someone with any knowledge please explain how Harry Kane was not offside in yesterday’s game?

The pass was intended for him therefore he’s offside and interfering with play. But the law states that because Lovren has deliberately made an attempt to play the ball its second phase!!! Seriously?

so in that instance what would the Lino had done if the wall went to the keeper and he picked it up?

the officials have a tough job because of the ridiculous laws that there are

Yes you are correct as Lovren played the ball deliberately (and miscued it) Kane is technically onside.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

http://www.theifab.com/laws/offside/chapters/offside-offence

If the ball ran through to the keeper then it would be play-on as he hasn't deliberately played the ball to the keeper.

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hands for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • touches the ball with the hands after:
    •  releasing it and before it has touched another player
    • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
    • receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

http://www.theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct/chapters/indirect-free-kick

Absolute ridiculous law. Kane has gained a massive advantage. The ball was intended for him therefore interfering with play. I’m sure 99% of the time he’s flagged for offside!!

Any wonder the officials get so much shit when the laws are all about interpretation. 

So they’ve used the word ‘deliberate’ twice with two different outcomes

21 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Absolute ridiculous law. Kane has gained a massive advantage. The ball was intended for him therefore interfering with play. I’m sure 99% of the time he’s flagged for offside!!

Any wonder the officials get so much shit when the laws are all about interpretation. 

So they’ve used the word ‘deliberate’ twice with two different outcomes

Laws of the Game is right with the law and at the top level (National League and above) where there are cameras at the games then this will always be called ONside.

At the lower levels I believe that this would be called as you say OFFside.

The wording of deliberate has been used differently and can seem confusing but the scenarios are different. If a player deliberately plays the ball, but miscues it then there will be no deliberate pass to keeper offence but would reset the offside. Why should the other team lose out because the player didn't quite do as they wanted?

It’s either deliberate or accidental. There’s no in between. 

The ball is played to Kane. Regardless of any touch he’s offside in my opinion and should be given. 

More and more players are going to be standing in an offside position in the hope that he ball deflects off a defender to be played onside. 

Theyve made a rod for their own back with some of the officiating in that game!

John Moss didn’t have a clue what was going on and guessed the decision. 

9 hours ago, St Darren said:

It’s either deliberate or accidental. There’s no in between. 

The ball is played to Kane. Regardless of any touch he’s offside in my opinion and should be given. 

More and more players are going to be standing in an offside position in the hope that he ball deflects off a defender to be played onside. 

Theyve made a rod for their own back with some of the officiating in that game!

John Moss didn’t have a clue what was going on and guessed the decision. 

The in between I am talking about is between the offside law and the deliberate pass to the keeper you alluded to in the original post.

7 hours ago, gingerninja said:

As I defender my argument would be that I've played the ball because Kane is there. As mentioned a terrible rule 

But if Kane is not close enough to play the ball when you play it then as it stands he is not offside.

How close do you need to be to the ball? He’s gained an advantage by being in an offside position for a pass that’s intended for him. How is that not offside??

so. Did Lovren make a deliberate attempt at kicking the ball? Yes. Therefore there should be no difference in the law. I don’t get it

9 hours ago, St Darren said:

How close do you need to be to the ball? He’s gained an advantage by being in an offside position for a pass that’s intended for him. How is that not offside??

so. Did Lovren make a deliberate attempt at kicking the ball? Yes. Therefore there should be no difference in the law. I don’t get it

The law doesn’t state distance.

The deliberate pass to the keeper is a different law hence the difference.

Either way I believe at grassroots level this is more likely to be given offside.

I only saw the game live, so dont know how the various sky and bbc pundits saw this mess after the game. But reading on the bbc website. John Moss when talking to Lino was asked did Lovren touch the ball, if Lovren touched the ball Kane was onside. Moss then asked 4th official to look at the monitor to see if lovren touched the ball because he didnt know. The 4th official didnt have use of the monitor so Moss was still none the wiser, i thought a ref could not give a decision unless he was 100% sure.

Apart from the confusion during these moments, and a few Tom Daley dives. what we saw was two teams who are fantastic to watch unlike the current Man u.

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Played onside as soon as the ball was touched, no problem with that.

Fell down awful easy though, I would have put money on the missed penalty - justice.....and I'm a Spurs man.

It’s not about whether he touched the ball. It’s about intention to play it, in my opinion it’s a deflection. It’s a stupid law non the less. I can see why the penalty was given but I also wouldn’t have been surprised if he was booked for diving!

a shite game overall for the officials

58 minutes ago, St Darren said:

It’s not about whether he touched the ball. It’s about intention to play it, in my opinion it’s a deflection. It’s a stupid law non the less. I can see why the penalty was given but I also wouldn’t have been surprised if he was booked for diving!

a shite game overall for the officials

And they have been told the total opposite by PGMOL and Dermot Gallagher on Sky.

9 hours ago, Ron Manager said:

I only saw the game live, so dont know how the various sky and bbc pundits saw this mess after the game. But reading on the bbc website. John Moss when talking to Lino was asked did Lovren touch the ball, if Lovren touched the ball Kane was onside. Moss then asked 4th official to look at the monitor to see if lovren touched the ball because he didnt know. The 4th official didnt have use of the monitor so Moss was still none the wiser, i thought a ref could not give a decision unless he was 100% sure.

Apart from the confusion during these moments, and a few Tom Daley dives. what we saw was two teams who are fantastic to watch unlike the current Man u.

Personally I think Jon Moss had a blank moment and when he realised that Lovren was the one that played it he gave the pen. If the assistant had of said did a Liverpool player play the ball then he would have been able to give his answer much quicker.

10 hours ago, St Darren said:

SAme laws of the game though isn’t it? I’m pretty sure that would be given offside in 99.9% of games as he’s the intended recipient of the ball and in an offside position!!

You’re right but at our level how many games are videoed to prove the officials right and that he deliberately tried to play the ball!

This same thing happened in the Euros England v Wales when Kane again profited from a miscued header to be played onside and score.

The laws don’t help. It’s a ridiculous law to say that he’s not offside. Basically a forward should just stand offside all the time and hope it gets a nick off someone. They’ve not worded the law correctly in my opinion and didn’t figure for this kind of event. 

John Moss isn’t fit enough to referee the game. His inconsistencies are embarrassing. He’s guessed on the first one without knowing and the second one he’s seen it and then gone with the Lino