Cornwall Football Forum

An idea for The Combo?

I've updated the website, putting in last weekend's results.

The Fixture Secretary has been beavering away trying to sort out postponed fixtures and unfortunately teams will be be playing three times a week some weeks. 
Everyone will moan but it can't be helped.

I have had an idea.
Why don't the clubs agree for next season that each play a couple of Thursday games at the start of the season during August. 
Players legs are fresh from their summer break, pitches will be in good condition, help the end of season panic, extra income as more people about and will come and watch, etc.
To me it is an obvious thing to do.
Thoughts anyone?

Open page below, click on a team. There are cup matches and about 6-7 league matches still to be added to the fixtures.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/clubs17.html

3 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

I've updated the website, putting in last weekend's results.

The Fixture Secretary has been beavering away trying to sort out postponed fixtures and unfortunately teams will be be playing three times a week some weeks. 
Everyone will moan but it can't be helped.

I have had an idea.
Why don't the clubs agree for next season that each play a couple of Thursday games at the start of the season during August. 
Players legs are fresh from their summer break, pitches will be in good condition, help the end of season panic, extra income as more people about and will come and watch, etc.
To me it is an obvious thing to do.
Thoughts anyone?

Open page below, click on a team. There are cup matches and about 6-7 league matches still to be added to the fixtures.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/clubs17.html

I did mention this a few weeks ago, the weather has changed over the past few seasons, and the league has to react to it.

I've walked on Penryns pitch tonight, still an absolute pudding in places, the freezing weather is now holding the water just under the surface with no chance of firming up yet !!!!!

Ask clubs if they are willing to play on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Play all cup games on the same weekend.

Start the Supplementary Cup in the New Year. 

Tuesday and Thursday in August sounds like a good idea. If the fixtures start on the second Saturday in August, potentially nine games could be squeezed in. If clubs with floodlights actually bother to use them then they could be excused from the three games a week start. 

Fixture local clubs against each other midweek or West Cornwall v Holmans, Perranporth v St Agnes etc. Don't have Goonhavern going to Pendeen midweek unless Pendeen get floodlights or there is no other time to play it.

See if any teams would be interested in the odd Sunday game. That's the way it used to work but only offer the opportunity. It would free up a referee.

why when evening fixtures are available does the league not consider putting teams into 'groups' as such, as Fanfare said.  You could have Hayle, St Ives, Pendeen, St Just in one, Helston, Culdrose, Mullion, Porthleven in another and so on? they do a round robin of fixtures early in the season and then late under lights, with the middle fixtures being over the larger winter period and you'd save a lot of travelling and get games on for sure! 

i cant believe the combo teams still get entered into the senior cup even though it is no longer a senior league? why is this still going on? 

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

why when evening fixtures are available does the league not consider putting teams into 'groups' as such, as Fanfare said.  You could have Hayle, St Ives, Pendeen, St Just in one, Helston, Culdrose, Mullion, Porthleven in another and so on? they do a round robin of fixtures early in the season and then late under lights, with the middle fixtures being over the larger winter period and you'd save a lot of travelling and get games on for sure! 

i cant believe the combo teams still get entered into the senior cup even though it is no longer a senior league? why is this still going on? 

whats not to believe? they've been apart of the senior cup for years and give a good account of themselves! Ludgvan taking Bodmin to spot kicks a few seasons back, surely you want to encourage more of that! 

34 minutes ago, zebedee said:

...All good and workable ideas .....and still we cant do anything about it raining for 2 months , lack of referees , cost of hiring astro pitches ....are  these  the more important areas to look at ???

Even if it rains for 2 months straight, you have 3/4 less fixtures because they were played midweek in august/Sept.  less of a backlog towards the end of the season for sure. I think its a good idea for all grassroots levels.

12 minutes ago, yeww said:

whats not to believe? they've been apart of the senior cup for years and give a good account of themselves! Ludgvan taking Bodmin to spot kicks a few seasons back, surely you want to encourage more of that! 

they are not a senior league, thats what isnt to believe!

If you are keen to play two games in August then what is the difference in playing two games in April or May.most teams may struggle in August because of holidays and cricket.St just are a good example or Culdrose would be way behind before they start playing so it's not that simple. Also players know that evening games are Tuesday nights so if they work evenings adjust their working life accordingly because not everyone works full time

4 hours ago, yeww said:

There has long been confusion over "Senior" and "Junior" classification of football in Cornwall. In the rest of the country (or world) those titles refer to age and not standard. A few years ago CCFA updated the rather archaic rules and removed all reference to Senior and Junior - except fo the names of the cup competitions. The levels of football, in order, are now the Premier League, Football League, the National League System (Steps 1 - 7) and then "Recreational Leagues" otherwise known as "Grassroots Football" 

5 hours ago, Sijames said:

they are not a senior league, thats what isnt to believe!

Correct!

How about something a bit more radical...............?

Play league games until each team has played every other team once, then split league, top 16 teams are drawn to play rounds of 16/8/4 home and away and then a final to decide league champions. Bottom 4 teams are drawn to play a semi final, two winners stay in Combo, losers have to play off against 1st & 2nd from Trelawny Prem to decide promotion and relegation. 

Significant reduction in games would leave space for mid-winter break, with no football after Boxing Day until first Saturday in February,. this would allow pitches reasonable time to recover. All league matches to be played by Boxing Day, with knockout league starting in February, with league finals for championship and relegation being played on first weekend in April. Combo & Supp Cups could then be played Saturday/Tuesday in April/Early May with finals being played Spring Bank Holiday weekend.

Time for another beer.........................

Perhaps size of leagues will change it / when the combo trelawney league merges , my take combo with trelawney premiership becomes one and two with sixteen in each division , combo cup open to both divisions  with the losers taking part in the supplementary cup .  Promotion two up two down .

4 hours ago, stevieb said:

Perhaps size of leagues will change it / when the combo trelawney league merges , my take combo with trelawney premiership becomes one and two with sixteen in each division , combo cup open to both divisions  with the losers taking part in the supplementary cup .  Promotion two up two down .

This is what I wrote several days ago on facebook - stevieb great minds think alike.

20 teams in the Combo, 13 in the Trelawny Premier of which 4 are "reserve" teams of clubs already in the Combo. 29 sides, 30 if Carharrack don't get promotion and Illogan re-join the Combo. New Combo League, Division 1, 16 sides, Division 2 15 sides for a season, then one team extra from the Trelawny to make it 16. Top side in Div 1 promoted to SWPL if eligible, 2 up, 2 down between divisions and 2 down into the Trelawny. 1 League Cup and a Divisional Cup for each division. Teams in Division 1 in the Senior Cup, those in Division 2 into the Junior Cup.

8 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

This is what I wrote several days ago on facebook - stevieb great minds think alike.

20 teams in the Combo, 13 in the Trelawny Premier of which 4 are "reserve" teams of clubs already in the Combo. 29 sides, 30 if Carharrack don't get promotion and Illogan re-join the Combo. New Combo League, Division 1, 16 sides, Division 2 15 sides for a season, then one team extra from the Trelawny to make it 16. Top side in Div 1 promoted to SWPL if eligible, 2 up, 2 down between divisions and 2 down into the Trelawny. 1 League Cup and a Divisional Cup for each division. Teams in Division 1 in the Senior Cup, those in Division 2 into the Junior Cup.

Great minds ( never had that said to me before ) :D