Cornwall Football Forum

Start the season earlyer

I think people would rather play in summer than winter , who wants to stand up in cold and wet I know I don't,  the ground does not get that dry in summer , our summers are not that hot.

i don't remember games getting called off for weeks on end 15 years ago , seems like the winters are getting wetter

20 minutes ago, GEACH1 said:

I think people would rather play in summer than winter , who wants to stand up in cold and wet I know I don't,  the ground does not get that dry in summer , our summers are not that hot.

i don't remember games getting called off for weeks on end 15 years ago , seems like the winters are getting wetter

Ain't much footy on TV throughout summer people may not get itch to play.if I don't watch football focus on a Saturday I wouldn't get off the sofa to play ?

Zebedee-I think part of that is down to the cricket season. At previous clubs I’ve found that we were sometimes short in the August games and then in September we had a full team. I do agree that clubs should start the season earlier, in past seasons some teams didn’t start their season until 1-2 weeks into September. I think the weather is ongoing battle and i think this December and jan has been particularly bad this season.

Global warming!!

Pitch repair and renovation - when could this be done if games are played throughout the growing season?

I believe the League should dictate when the season and fixtures start - those who share with cricket must then play only away fixtures, which happens in higher leagues! Using the light evenings and 6 or 7 Saturdays during August and September, it should be possible for most clubs to complete 10 fixtures before October - I'm aware that referee availability could be a problem though!

15 hours ago, John Mead said:

Global warming!!

Pitch repair and renovation - when could this be done if games are played throughout the growing season?

I believe the League should dictate when the season and fixtures start - those who share with cricket must then play only away fixtures, which happens in higher leagues! Using the light evenings and 6 or 7 Saturdays during August and September, it should be possible for most clubs to complete 10 fixtures before October - I'm aware that referee availability could be a problem though!

Yes this happens at Ludgvan every year due to the cricket I believe?? and no doubt other clubs, Cricket is the biggest stumbling block, if you have a few cricketers in your team your screwed at the beginning and end of season, I have played both and usually finish off playing Cricket then start football and visa versa at the end of the season to be fair on both teams, The Football season is too long though.. way to long! 

You cant help bad weather that calls off so many games but it does zap the enthusiasm out of players not playing for weeks on end but then so does playing 3 games in a week at the end of the season, the only answer is to have less games which I know isn't necessary the best way to go but cant think of many other ways to go, as for playing in the summer, Football is a winter sport, people play cricket in the summer  so teams would be worse off or frankly have better things to do in the sunny weather than play football...