Cornwall Football Forum

Weather Alternatives

With the recent mass cancellations, and the guaranteed back log of games come the end of the season - the obvious answer to avoid all this is to have a winter break/start earlier in the year when its drier... would it not also be useful to utilise the 4G pitches (Mounts Bay could be used by Penzance & Mousehole, Cornwall College could certainly be used by Illogan and its not a million miles away from Falmouth, Helston, Porthleven etc, Plymouth Marjons currently used by Plym Marjons FC) could play 3-4 games a day on those pitches with floodlights... dont get me wrong, far from ideal, and times wouldnt always suit everyone especially travelling sides but would at least get games played (locally or if travelling teams agreed) - a very rash/unlikely suggestion granted, havent taken into account any costs (id expect owners of the pitches would charge a fortune) but could certainly soften the impacts of weeks without football!

15 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Good point SCFC, but what about ground regulations, insurance etc

I havent taken any costs/barriers into account to be perfectly honest... i guess a new set of regulations would need to be made, however, Plym Marjons' ground has been passed and the others arent much different (no doubt they are half an inch wider or something!), no real idea how the insurance works nowadays, but teams train on these pitches (along with Marjons actually playing) so i havent got a clue!

I don't think any of the available 3G pitches would fail Ground Grading requirements for Step 7 games and can't see there being any insurance problems - but the biggest problem would be pitch availability. Penwith Exiles "Home" pitch is at Mounts Bay - which limits its' Saturday availability; Cornwall College is not FA accredited, so cannot be used at all for matches and all 3G pitches are usually fully booked for midweek training sessions by both Adult and Youth teams! 

12 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

The loss to the clubhouse would not make this viable in my opinion.

An occasional game you can bear the cost, and the loss, but not on a regular basis.

Not really sure what difference that makes to be honest - surely the clubhouse will be effected the moment a game is called off, it wasnt a suggestion to only play games on 3G, more if the pitches were unplayable (mainly winter)

4 hours ago, SCFC said:

Not really sure what difference that makes to be honest - surely the clubhouse will be effected the moment a game is called off, it wasnt a suggestion to only play games on 3G, more if the pitches were unplayable (mainly winter)

A game gets postponed so it will be played eventually and then the clubhouse will get used

12 hours ago, St Darren said:

A game gets postponed so it will be played eventually and then the clubhouse will get used

I guess you're right in that respect but the rearrangements tend to be a midweek game and so the club's income is massively reduced

I think it depends on the teams playing midweek. For instance Parkway v  Torpoint played on a Wednesday would attract a bigger crowd than a Saturday because fans from other local teams like saltash Millbrook plymstock etc. would probably go and watch

As a keen watcher of Ivybridge football club I have indeed forgotten the last game that I watched !! 

To be fair I’m sure some of the lads wouldn’t mind playing some games on artificial pitches as after all that’s where most teams train during the week. The only unfortunate thing about artificial pitches in this area  is that most of them are absolutely ‘massive’  or is that just my imagination? 

The way things are with the weather at the moment it’s going to be a very busy end to the season

5 hours ago, John Mead said:

Be mindful that there are no spectator facilities at these locations and charging anyone to watch could be a problem!

By facilities do you mean toilets or catering ?

5 hours ago, St Darren said:

So if a game is cancelled in December and rearranged in April you’re telling me that the income will be less. I’m not having that 

As a general comment  - yes it will generate less income to the clubhouse.

8 hours ago, John Mead said:

Be mindful that there are no spectator facilities at these locations and charging anyone to watch could be a problem!

Correct John, you are only allowed to make a collection on public land.

13 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

As a general comment  - yes it will generate less income to the clubhouse.

I dont think thats the case apart from say a boxing day game.

A normal saturday game being called off could actually generate a bigger crowd, Its likely to be played mid week in better weather, when not so many other games are on resulting in bigger crowds.

33 minutes ago, Hetty said:

A normal saturday game being called off could actually generate a bigger crowd, Its likely to be played mid week in better weather, when not so many other games are on resulting in bigger crowds.

I'd say its more 50/50 and dependent on what game is played... Tavistock vs Parkway on a Wednesday would definitely get a bigger crowd than on a weekend but Witheridge vs Falmouth for example would probably get a much smaller crowd in midweek due to people working etc

6 hours ago, Hetty said:

I did say as a general comment (!)

I've run our clubhouse for over 30 years, and experience tells me that cancelled games generate less income in the clubhouse.

An odd big fixture may attract a bigger crowd through the gate, but with work the next day they do not hit he beer.

A Saturday generating £1,000 in the bar would drop to around £200 on a rearranged fixture ...that's my experience over 30 years anyway.

23 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

As a keen watcher of Ivybridge football club I have indeed forgotten the last game that I watched !! 

To be fair I’m sure some of the lads wouldn’t mind playing some games on artificial pitches as after all that’s where most teams train during the week. The only unfortunate thing about artificial pitches in this area  is that most of them are absolutely ‘massive’  or is that just my imagination? 

The way things are with the weather at the moment it’s going to be a very busy end to the season

By facilities do you mean toilets or catering ?

No doubt there might be toilet facilities but no stands or covered accommodation. Also spectators would have to watch through the fence as none of the 3G pitches have pitch-side barriers behind which spectators must stand.

Marjohns are an exception - they have a small, fenced-off viewing area inside the boundary fence and also have refreshment facilities.