Cornwall Football Forum

Referee Shortage 13/1/18

I know they were advertising Referee courses on the Facebook page a while ago but anyone have any basic info on fees you receive, do you need ot purchase your own referee kit etc? I am 27 and still play but due to various injuries cannot play as much as I'd like anymore but would have no problem getting about the pitch as a Ref, have thought about it long and hard for a while and may take the plunge, I know its a lot of grief but may give it a go... 

15 minutes ago, UtilityMan said:

I know they were advertising Referee courses on the Facebook page a while ago but anyone have any basic info on fees you receive, do you need ot purchase your own referee kit etc? I am 27 and still play but due to various injuries cannot play as much as I'd like anymore but would have no problem getting about the pitch as a Ref, have thought about it long and hard for a while and may take the plunge, I know its a lot of grief but may give it a go... 

Get in touch with the Referee Workforce Officer, Stuart Kane, on his email - stuart.kane@cornwallfa.com, or 07846 270967 - he should be able to answer your queries.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Get in touch with the Referee Workforce Officer, Stuart Kane, on his email - stuart.kane@cornwallfa.com, or 07846 270967 - he should be able to answer your queries.

3 hours ago, UtilityMan said:

As Dave says get in contact with Stuart. You will be expected to purchase your own kit but can get one for one match fee, or you can get a decent kit for two or three match fees. If getting the kit is a problem depending on your area one of the local Referee Associations (I am part of Falmouth Helston and Camborne Redruth) I am sure we could sort something out between us.

Utilityman- as the others would say go for it. I was exactly like yourself this time last season. I also suffer from injuries and had my doubts but having completed the course in April of last year I have so far really enjoyed. Don’t get me wrong there are times when it can be challenging but most of the time it’s fine. Like I say to the players I can only give what I see and hear!  You can pick up a decent kit for the equivalent of a couple of match fees and can commit as much or as little time as you like. I really enjoy football and is the reason I referee, to still be involved in footy on a Saturday, the money is just a bonus ? seriously next course that comes up, sign up! For me it was £50 but if you get nominated from a club I think it’s free (I might be wrong on that). Also like me the fact that you have played football in the past will make it so much easier to learn and understand the laws. Feel free to pm me if you need any more info.

Tom

3 hours ago, tomleft said:

Utilityman- as the others would say go for it. I was exactly like yourself this time last season. I also suffer from injuries and had my doubts but having completed the course in April of last year I have so far really enjoyed. Don’t get me wrong there are times when it can be challenging but most of the time it’s fine. Like I say to the players I can only give what I see and hear!  You can pick up a decent kit for the equivalent of a couple of match fees and can commit as much or as little time as you like. I really enjoy football and is the reason I referee, to still be involved in footy on a Saturday, the money is just a bonus ? seriously next course that comes up, sign up! For me it was £50 but if you get nominated from a club I think it’s free (I might be wrong on that). Also like me the fact that you have played football in the past will make it so much easier to learn and understand the laws. Feel free to pm me if you need any more info.

Tom

Only free if the club pay for you. Hopefully there may still be funding available so the course may still be £50. Anyone in there early 30s who isn’t playing as much should consider it. With 3 seasons you can be on Peninsula West games and in 4 on Peninsula Premier middle and Western/Southern league lines working with the top 10% of referees in the country!

The Trelawny League still have funds available for any referee that resides in the Trelawny geographical area (Lands End to Trispen-ish). If attending the Referees Course, you will need to pay for that yourself but after refereeing 10 games in the Trelawny League (by Christmas 2019), we will give you £50 towards the cost of the course.

With regards to kit, if it is something you are passionate about and are interested in, I've got plenty of kit at home that I wouldn't mind donating to someone (if they were going to ref on a regular basis). You can pick up kit quite cheap on ebay these days. When starting out, just get everything as cheap as you can. Save the match fees up and if you enjoy it, after a few weeks you can afford to purchase some better quality gear.

We need more people picking up the whistle.

On 07/01/2018 at 16:51, bighairydave said:

With the referee shortage next weekend in the Trelawny League, how many clubs are going with the club referee to get a game played?

@bighairydave do all 'club referees' get provided with the correct equipment to cover the league games by the trelawny league, or do they have to purchase their own flags, cards etc etc? these people are realistically bailing out the league by doing these games and they havent (or ccfa) havent done enough recruiting so seems a little strange that they would also be expected to buy their own flags etc for potentially one off games?!

4 hours ago, Sijames said:

@bighairydave do all 'club referees' get provided with the correct equipment to cover the league games by the trelawny league, or do they have to purchase their own flags, cards etc etc? these people are realistically bailing out the league by doing these games and they havent (or ccfa) havent done enough recruiting so seems a little strange that they would also be expected to buy their own flags etc for potentially one off games?!

They have tried to put in many courses, evenings and weekends, during and post season but there isn’t the uptake.

i don’t believe the league provide equipment but I’m sure if anyone needed and they ask (the league or on here) the local RAs could rustle something up.