Cornwall Football Forum

Re-structure of Step 7 gets approval from SWPL

PRESS RELEASE:

The South West Peninsula League board on Thursday night (4th January) gave their backing to a proposal to re-structure the Step 7 Divisions in Devon & Cornwall.

A high level meeting last month was hosted by the FA and was attended by FA Officials, Senior members from Devon FA &Cornwall FA together with SWP League officers. 

The meeting proposed that for the 2019/20 season the 2 existing Step 7's of 18 clubs be changed to 3 Divisions each of a maximum of 16 clubs. (West, Central & East).

The proposal would both reduce travel for clubs and increase opportunities for additional movement and extra clubs to play in the national league system.

An additional 12 clubs will be necessary, and it is anticipated they will come from across the 6 feeder leagues. It is likely that the West division will be from Land’s End to approx. Liskeard, a newCentral Division from approx. Liskeard to Newton Abbot which would put Plymouth in the centre of the league (currently its clubs are either extreme East or West) and the East Division from roughly Newton Abbot Eastwards. 

It is further hoped that in the next 18 months Cornwall will use this re-structure to aid the pyramid in the County which was viewed as having too many clubs in one league and too many reserve teams in the other league. In Devon it would allow ambitious clubs from across the whole County to have the opportunity to step up.   

The new set up will provide 3 Champion clubs rather than the current 2, extending possible promotion. The SWP Premier would remain unchanged and provide a promotion route direct to Step 5, though at the bottom end it is possible that the bottom 3 rather than bottom 2 would be relegated each season.

The FA have indicated that they would like to hold two meetings, probably in April, one each in Devon & Cornwall, to invite clubs playing in the six feeder leagues to attend and explore further with a view that next season, 2018/19, clubs would know what they would have to do on and off the pitch to qualify for the new set up to commence in the 2019/20 season.

At last night’s meeting, the SWP board agreed to support the proposal and start preparation work to assist with the arrangement of meetings with clubs in the spring.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

PRESS RELEASE:

The South West Peninsula League board on Thursday night (4th January) gave their backing to a proposal to re-structure the Step 7 Divisions in Devon & Cornwall.

A high level meeting last month was hosted by the FA and was attended by FA Officials, Senior members from Devon FA &Cornwall FA together with SWP League officers. 

The meeting proposed that for the 2019/20 season the 2 existing Step 7's of 18 clubs be changed to 3 Divisions each of a maximum of 16 clubs. (West, Central & East).

The proposal would both reduce travel for clubs and increase opportunities for additional movement and extra clubs to play in the national league system.

An additional 12 clubs will be necessary, and it is anticipated they will come from across the 6 feeder leagues. It is likely that the West division will be from Land’s End to approx. Liskeard, a newCentral Division from approx. Liskeard to Newton Abbot which would put Plymouth in the centre of the league (currently its clubs are either extreme East or West) and the East Division from roughly Newton Abbot Eastwards. 

It is further hoped that in the next 18 months Cornwall will use this re-structure to aid the pyramid in the County which was viewed as having too many clubs in one league and too many reserve teams in the other league. In Devon it would allow ambitious clubs from across the whole County to have the opportunity to step up.   

The new set up will provide 3 Champion clubs rather than the current 2, extending possible promotion. The SWP Premier would remain unchanged and provide a promotion route direct to Step 5, though at the bottom end it is possible that the bottom 3 rather than bottom 2 would be relegated each season.

The FA have indicated that they would like to hold two meetings, probably in April, one each in Devon & Cornwall, to invite clubs playing in the six feeder leagues to attend and explore further with a view that next season, 2018/19, clubs would know what they would have to do on and off the pitch to qualify for the new set up to commence in the 2019/20 season.

At last night’s meeting, the SWP board agreed to support the proposal and start preparation work to assist with the arrangement of meetings with clubs in the spring.

What a load of rubbish !

My concern would be that all 3 leagues would not be populated with enough quality.  You would end up with each of the 3 leagues having a group of 3 or 4 teams running away comfortably from the rest of the league.  The current West and East teams on the whole are far better than those in most of the feeder leagues.  There are only a handful below West and East that would be able to compete if they ever got promoted.  Another consideration is grounds, there would have to be some astronomical improvements to a lot of clubs to be able to satisfy the gradings!

More support and funding from the very top would be required. An interesting proposition nonetheless.

15 minutes ago, secretscout said:

My concern would be that all 3 leagues would not be populated with enough quality.  You would end up with each of the 3 leagues having a group of 3 or 4 teams running away comfortably from the rest of the league.  The current West and East teams on the whole are far better than those in most of the feeder leagues.  There are only a handful below West and East that would be able to compete if they ever got promoted.  Another consideration is grounds, there would have to be some astronomical improvements to a lot of clubs to be able to satisfy the gradings!

More support and funding from the very top would be required. An interesting proposition nonetheless.

The cost of swpl demands to upgrade the grounds would put some clubs under - a brilliant idea from swpl, I do not think !

Just have a league with just Cornish clubs in it similair to the old South Western League wouldntbe halfas much fuss and would be easier to get to just kick the devon clubs into another league and add P enzance ,Liskeard and  a few of the old teams who use to be in the league just use Common sense would be a lot cheaper for the fans

Nothing wrong with the idea ,but clubs in the feeder leagues would have to have floodlights etc.Saturday football is fast becoming a thing of the past more midweek games at any level would belp.Best of luck to anyone involved in running any club we will all need it

Agree Outsider. Personally, i think it sounds good. A lot less travelling, which seems to be the biggest drawback to players at the moment. To 100%cornish, the old swleague has had many Devon teams in it in the past, Appledore,D?C Police,Argyle,Torquay and a host of others. Well done to the powers that be for this initiative.

Firstly I think that any idea to promote football in Cornwall and increase opportunities to play at the highest possible level has to be worth investigation, but (and it's a big but) the devil is in the detail. This was an FA hosted event attended by Devon FA, Cornwall FA and the SWPL - and it will be those four bodies that will dictate what happens:

The suggestion is to go from 36 (currently 34) Step 7 teams to 48 an increase in real terms, with current league members of 14 teams, however the geographical split within the Step 7 leagues will be crucial to where any new opportunities will occur. Looking at current members the Leagues would be (guessing, but looking at travelling distances)

East                                Central                                 West

Crediton                         Newton Abbot                    Ludgvan

Exeter Uni                      Bovey Tracey                       Liskeard

St Martin                        Millbrook                              Mousehole

Budleigh                         Teignmouth                         St Blazey

Axminster                       Brixham                               Porthleven

Torridgeside                  Galmpton                             St Dennis

Illfracombe                    Liverton                                Wendron

Sidmouth                       Holsworthy                          Penzance

Honiton                          Marjon                                  Wadebridge

Appledore                      Elburton                                Dobwalls

Alphington                     Plymstock                            Illogan

Bude

5 vacancies                    4 vacancies                       5 vacancies 

Where exactly would you find 5 vacancies from feeder teams for the West League:

There is a very clear message contained in the report that the Combo League has too many teams and the ECPL too many Reserve teams, so things are looking to change. If you remove Reserve Teams (who cannot take promotion) from the ECPL then that only leaves 5 teams out of 15  (Polperro, Bere Alston, Looe, St Stephen Borough and Pensilva) - meaning no disrespect to those teams or their facilities but certainly 4 of those teams would need massive input to meet Step 7 ground grading. Looking at the Combo and removing their 4 Reserve Teams, do their other possible teams, finishing in the top 3 have the desire, facilities, funds to be interested in promotion - and they would only have 12 months to consider and apply to meet deadlines - I would suggest that at most there are 2 teams across the 'West' area to whom this would be a consideration - meaning that the West league would take in teams from the Central (Plymouth) area and thus continuing the travelling issue. The Central league would get 4 from Plymouth and I would suggest that the East could meet their quota, supported possibly by Torbay / Plymouth teams from the Central League. So being very Cornwall centric, I see Cornwall loosing opportunities  to move to Step 6 in due course with a greater input from (Plymouth and) Devon into the SWPL Prem.

Any merger between the Combo and Trelawney or ECPL Prem /Div1 and Dutchy Leagues would not address the above issues for several years and long term I actually see the disruption this proposal will generate as creating more problems than it resolves - although I really hope not.

Also, looking at the time scales involved (any team looking to apply for the new leagues would need to do so by Jan 2019 - only 12 months away), would it not make more sense to state now that 2018/2019 season there will be no promotions or relegations in SWPL Prem or East / West so at least a clear planning process can take place.

Hopefully the Cornwall FA will protect the interests of the County's football sides, as otherwise the vast majority of teams will be given a 'fait accompli' from those outside the County.

Good luck to all involved as this proposal will create many varying views.

Obviously, as a cup-centric person, my views on league reorganisation might not be that important but, as a local football fan, I am going to stick my oar in anyway! I think this is a good idea and it will address some of the issues with travelling. Whatever league you play in there has to be some travelling. That's inevitable. Thirty years ago, when I was playing at a very low level in South London, it could still take an hour to get from Croydon to, say, Richmond. I can almost get from Penryn to Plymouth on a good day in that time! One tweak I might make to this plan would be to reduce the Premier Division of the SWPL to 16 teams. Then there would be four divisions of 16 each. That might address some of the quality concerns and would make the Walter C Parson Cup much easier to run!!

4 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Just have a league with just Cornish clubs in it similair to the old South Western League wouldntbe halfas much fuss and would be easier to get to just kick the devon clubs into another league and add P enzance ,Liskeard and  a few of the old teams who use to be in the league just use Common sense would be a lot cheaper for the fans

Just what I think. In all truth, what Cornish club wants promotion to a higher league any way, it would probably bankrupt them and would not pull in any more support.

Surely in the West division you have Perranporth, St Day, Illogan (as there is less travel) and Carharrack who are upgrading their facilities, as these teams were competing with Ludgvan, With the chance of promotion clubs like St Just who are normally near the top of the Combo, Pendeen and St Ives Town may be interested, and this would make it a real western league

Like the idea of it in theory. Gives clubs the opportunity to progress and not put off promotion. One less excuse. However, clubs will need support to become sustainable and will need help to provide adequate facilities in order to meet criteria. 

It will have an interesting impact on feeder leagues and feeder leagues to those feeder leagues. 

There might be Cornish teams forced to drop down to Div 1 West at the end of the season if their grounds are not up to standard.

The new look Div 1 West is a step back to the old Combo League when it used to cover two thirds of Cornwall. It used to have St Breward, St Dennis, Nanpean Rovers, Newquay, Roche in 1959 and then Sticker, St Columb Minor, Truro, RAF St Mawgan, Bugle, etc joined and left over the seasons.

For us old stagers, it will feel like old times. -_- 

32 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

There might be Cornish teams forced to drop down to Div 1 West at the end of the season if their grounds are not up to standard.

The new look Div 1 West is a step back to the old Combo League when it used to cover two thirds of Cornwall. It used to have St Breward, St Dennis, Nanpean Rovers, Newquay, Roche in 1959 and then Sticker, St Columb Minor, Truro, RAF St Mawgan, Bugle, etc joined and left over the seasons.

For us old stagers, it will feel like old times. -_- 

And good times they were. I can remember 2 coach loads of supporters leaving Falmouth on a Saturday and you had to book days in advance to get a seat plus loads of supporters travelling by car.

So an increase from max 36 step 7 teams across 2 divisions to max 48 teams across 3 divisions.

Less travel, less games per division, more teams aiming to improve facilities being on pyramid ladder, more promotion and relegation etc etc

Whilst there are pro's and con's for this, I didn't think there was an issue with step 7 and its team's movement? I thought the issue with the FA was always with clubs moving up from step 6 to step 5?

Still more likely teams from an East Division (or within Devon) stepping up via SWPL Prem or Western 1 (Step 6) to Western Prem (Step 5) due to costs etc (so no change)!

Re-structuring is a fantastic idea in my opinion both for players and the future viability of a lot of clubs. Maybe just a Cornwall League and Devon league of 18 teams each and a play off for the 2 winners would be worth consideration but 3 leagues might work. I applaud the league and the FA for trying to evolve the situation. 

Sounds ok but we havnt even got the full amount of clubs in the West division now. And that is less than the Premier division when its full. If players dont want to play in the west division now because of travelling then theres no point. Quality over Quantity After all you have Plymouth Marjon in the west division playing on a astro pitch which you can find anywhere and the floodlights are not to standard as they are training lights. Even when they were on you couldnt see very well. No program etc. The 3 leagues need to be really strong before even more clubs join. It could end up very unbalanced with small clubs struggling to compete and pulling out and then your left with 3 very average leagues. 

It will be interesting to see, as a result of this proposal, if there is an increase in the number of clubs applying to join the league by this seasons deadline date. If only to show interest and discover what improvements they need to make to be seriously considered for 2019-20.

Looks like its done to encourage more teams in the west of the county to step up but are there enough?

Appears to be an open door for Torquay, if they don't get in next season. Together with clubs from Devon and Exeter and South Devon leagues who have not finished high enough previously.

I seem to remember a couple of years ago,the SWPL attempted to form a Reserve division.The result? little or no interest from the Clubs!. I think it more likely

that there may be clubs from div  1 East and West considering a switch back to the Combo/ECPL.

Mike Odgers came up with a staggering statistic regarding the many many clubs that left the CSWPL since it's beginning 10 years ago( I thing it was at least 10-perhaps

Mr.Odgers can advise)

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

I seem to remember a couple of years ago,the SWPL attempted to form a Reserve division.The result? little or no interest from the Clubs!. I think it more likely

that there may be clubs from div  1 East and West considering a switch back to the Combo/ECPL.

Mike Odgers came up with a staggering statistic regarding the many many clubs that left the CSWPL since it's beginning 10 years ago( I thing it was at least 10-perhaps

Mr.Odgers can advise)

Surprised there was not more - in my opinion the swpl has probably caused the lack of interest in local football. With all the Devon clubs in it there is virtually no away support.

Well I hope Newquay never get relegated then. Travelling most weeks into the furthest reaches of Kernow  to play on some school fields for 2.15 ko isn't an inspiring concept for me. 

I think what we actually need is a decent Step 5 league locally, so that clubs with ambition will take the step rather than clubs winning the league numerous times and not taking promotion. The Western League I appreciate is too far for many. 

Sounds iffy! the main teams from the ECPL that could actually compete (as in putting in a challenge) would be reserve teams so that leaves teams that themselves may have taken a promotion from Duchy back along and don't have the facilities yet.

Isnt the SWPL meant to be the league everyone locally wants to play in and the highest standards? Would end up being a bit like 2 leagues in 1 league unless some serious investment went into the promoted clubs. I know there are some succes stories but few and far between when going to the SWPL