Cornwall Football Forum

Anti-Truro City Sentiment. WHY?

Well i do not live in Cornwall any more and people up here think that football stops being played at Plymouth. The amount of times i have said Cornwall does have some very good players and teams. Some of the Grounds in Cornwall are so much better than sum up here at the same Level 7, Big Club houses, Stands and Flood lighting and i have had the pleasure of playing at some. Bickland park is the nearest you will get to feeling like you are playing in a real stadium and St Blazey ground is very good as well.

When im back at Christmas i will have the pleasure of gracing Poltair Park when im down - Looking forward to it!!!.

Getting back to Truro, i think it is really good for Cornwall that they want to progress through the leagues and if it takes money to do that and someone is willing to pay so be it. In to days game if you have money it breeds sucess in any league.

Man Utd - Prem, Watford - Champ, Swansea - Fl 1, Chelmsford City Ryman league.

There is more money the higher you go to attract the best players as you should want to play the highest standard you can.

The real problem with money is the amount being paid out at Combination level that isnt even as good as 5 years ago. Some people would prefer to get £20-00 and play down St Just instead of playing for a local team at a higher level. Who has the money in the Combo now, St Just, Holmans ???

Fish

ONE THING FOR SURE TRURO CITY AFC WILL ONE DAY BRING TOP CLASS FOOTBALL TO THIS COUNTY, AND HOW MUCH MR HEANEY WANTS TO SPEND DOING IT IS DOWN TO HIM, AND WHEN IT HAPPENS YOU CANT TELL ME ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SO AGAINST HOW TRURO CITY ARE GOING TO DO THIS WONT GO TO WATCH TRURO PLAY TEAMS FROM THE CONFERANCE UPWARDS. WHEN A TEAM ARE DOING WELL PEOPLE GO AND WATCH. SUPPORTERS OF OTHER CLUBS ONLY KNOCK TRURO CITY AFC BECAUSE OF THERE SUCCESS. :ninja:

I can guarantee that I wont ever be going to watch them (unless they arrange a hammering against Spurs). Why would I go and watch them, or any other club for that matter if I don't support or give a crap about them?. I support only one team and that is the local team from the town that I was raised in, it just so happens that team is Tottenham Hotspur.

I consider this to make me a "real" football supporter. I also consider people such as cornishteddyboy (Penzance), The Judge (Newquay), Chairman (Blazey) and Paul (Blazey) to be "real" football fans because they are passionate about and follow their local team. Why would these people give a damn about Truro City or any other team that isn't the one they passionately follow?.

All this "you're all just jealous" rubbish is frankly pathetic and basically clearly demonstrates the attitude/impression that people in general seem to feel towards Truro City. Arrogance...

There will be people that like Truro City and people that don't. It just happens that all the people that are "Pro Truro" are significantly outnumbered by the "Who gives a damn about Truro" brigade.

You have your club to follow, we have ours. Accept that move on and get on with your life.

Guest Terrier Tom

ONE THING FOR SURE TRURO CITY AFC WILL ONE DAY BRING TOP CLASS FOOTBALL TO THIS COUNTY, AND HOW MUCH MR HEANEY WANTS TO SPEND DOING IT IS DOWN TO HIM, AND WHEN IT HAPPENS YOU CANT TELL ME ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SO AGAINST HOW TRURO CITY ARE GOING TO DO THIS WONT GO TO WATCH TRURO PLAY TEAMS FROM THE CONFERANCE UPWARDS. WHEN A TEAM ARE DOING WELL PEOPLE GO AND WATCH. SUPPORTERS OF OTHER CLUBS ONLY KNOCK TRURO CITY AFC BECAUSE OF THERE SUCCESS. :ninja:

I can guarantee that I wont ever be going to watch them (unless they arrange a hammering against Spurs). Why would I go and watch them, or any other club for that matter if I don't support or give a crap about them?. I support only one team and that is the local team from the town that I was raised in, it just so happens that team is Tottenham Hotspur.

I consider this to make me a "real" football supporter. I also consider people such as cornishteddyboy (Penzance), The Judge (Newquay), Chairman (Blazey) and Paul (Blazey) to be "real" football fans because they are passionate about and follow their local team. Why would these people give a damn about Truro City or any other team that isn't the one they passionately follow?.

All this "you're all just jealous" rubbish is frankly pathetic and basically clearly demonstrates the attitude/impression that people in general seem to feel towards Truro City. Arrogance...

There will be people that like Truro City and people that don't. It just happens that all the people that are "Pro Truro" are significantly outnumbered by the "Who gives a damn about Truro" brigade.

You have your club to follow, we have ours. Accept that move on and get on with your life.

Good that you basis your opinion on the solidarity of evidence provided by the Internet and to know you have never been to a TCFC game or engaged in conversation with their fans, chairmen, players or anyone else for that matter.

Unlike say, the Melksham chairman:

Extract from the Wiltshire Times following Truro's Vase win at Melksham:-

After Truro had left for their long journey home, both Melksham chairman Mick Perrin and manager Highmore praised their guests for their performance and their attitude.

Highmore said: “Truro aren't big time and they go about their business very well. There's nothing arrogant about them whatsoever”.

Perrin said: "They are a nice side and their chairman is a lovely bloke and a first-class man to speak to. "They thanked us for our hospitality and we wish them all the luck."

Keep plucking facts, figures and opinions from nowhere :clapper:

Again, good luck to you and all the Cornish clubs. None more so than Falmouth this weekend! Though I'd take a Bedlington win over Falmouth I'm afraid!

Most of our quotes and opinions are based upon the attitudes of people we know who follow Truro or play against them and lord knows how many different users of this forum. We do atleast have a general knowledge of many peoples impression of Truro FC, whether they be "pro" or "anti" opinions.

Your argument/response is to take the opinion of one man, the melksham chairman. Nice words that he used and obviously a very humble guy with respect for clubs and representatives. However, could it be that he is simply a master at the one thing that Truro clearly lack... PR? Who won that game by the way??

All this arguing and none acceptance of peoples opinion of any club, not just Truro is not this article. 1 person asks for an opinion as to why there is an "Anti Truro" sentiment. "CHAIRMAN" was quick to recognise that this topic was going to open up a nasty can of worms and urged the mederators to remove it because of what would inevitably follow.

People obviously came on to give THEIR OPINIONS on why they think that there is this "Anti Truro" feeling amongst what appears to be most forum users. The problem is that after those opinions have been displayed for the public to see, it is inevitable that an irate and upset Truro follower is not going to accept or like that persons opinion and what do you know, "CHAIRMAN" is spot on and the anticipated storm begins.

The people that you are arguing against Terrier Tom have only answered the question put to them at the top of this page. Perhaps the mentioning of figures, whether those figures are right or wrong should not be done on a public forum?. Fair enough to say "I don't like the amount of money that is being paid to whoever" but there's no need to mention any particular fee. However what is he to do when a Truro follower asks him what those figures are.

This topic is now as stale as Cilla Black's gusset and it's only gone on so long because the few "pro Truro" users that use this forum don't like the opinion of the "Anti Truro" forum users and have taken exception to what has been posted. Actually when you think about it, all this "Anti Truro" talk is as childish as some of the arguing within this topic. One must ask the question, "Do Truro followers suffer with paranoia"?. You see, it's taken for granted that people MUST be jealous and have something against Truro because they are quick to dismiss what Truro are attempting to achieve. Well I for one wish them all the best in their quest but just like everybody else, I have NO reason to endear myself to them or their cause, I have NO reason to give a damn about who they put 8 goals past this time and I HAVE NO REASON TO GIVE A DAMN ABOUT TRURO FC full stop.

I had a reason to come on here to respond and that's because my name was brought into the discussion, even though I hadn't made a single post. When I said my bit about my name being brought up, I then answered the question at the top of the page. I didn't/don't want to get involved in a slanging match with anybody just for answering that question.

To be honest I've got enough shit going on in my life at the moment and to believe that I actually give a damn about a club that to me is nothing more than "insignificant dot on the a footballing map" is stupidity personified. You have a club to follow, so follow it. You can't get all annoyed because some of us refuse to be plastic sheep.

coopsie just because somebody does not support just 1 team, it does not mean they are not a football fan. i am a spurs fan and i love going to watch any type of football. i might even watch the big games this weekend after my under 14s team at truro beat alverton so am i not a football fan because i would prefer mayb man utd to beat liverpool etc?

I did not say that supporting 1 team is what I CONSIDER makes a "real" supporter. I said that I consider myself a "Real" supporter because I support and follow the team from the town where I was raised. I couldn't give two hoots about whether Man Utd beat Liverpool or Chelsea beat Arsenal or Plymouth get relegated etc etc because they are nothing to do with me and I couldn't care less if they all ceased to exist.

We are ALL fans of FOOTBALL but MY OPINION is that you can only truly support one team with any "real" passion. For me It's Tottenham because as I keep saying, "that's where I was raised". The "plastic brigade" supporting teams from Man Utd to Truro City are on the whole cut from the same cloth. If the success was not there, people wouldn't want to cling on and join the evergrowing flock of followers.

Some huge and amazing replies.

I think if you get right down to the nitty gritty's then it is all about who we are and what values we have.

A person puts a lot of money into one club and people come on here and say shame on him. But what if that money was being ploughed into your club.

People say that what is happening at Truro is not good for Cornwall. I wouldn't be surprised that before the FA Vase, the vast majority of people in the country would have had no idea where Truro was. They know now so was that not good for Cornwall.

Truro have been extremely fortunate to find a benefactor who is willing to 'splash the cash', but if he didn't what would have happened to Truro City FC. If Truro get a new all purpose sports stadium and state of the art facilities and the chairman gets his money back by building on the existing ground (assuming he can do) would that be considered bad for Cornwall.

People talk about new fans joining the band wagon at Truro; surely that is a person’s choice. This ‘I am an xyz supporter till I die’ nonsense was what almost destroyed our game in this country. Yes of course be passionate about your club and good on you, but why there is such vitriol and real hate expressed against another club especially Truro or is this just a Cornish thing because quite frankly I can’t fathom it out.

I'll say it again what if your club found a wealthy benefactor. Would you say, no thanks mate we are alright as we are. As if!!!.

We are a strange species we hate Liverpool but cheer on Gerrard when he plays for England, how daft can we be. I am sure a psychologist could come on here and tell us why we are like we are when it comes to the passion of football. Or is it that a tiny, tiny few find themselves on this web site to spout off what hardly anyone else even thinks about. It’s a game of football guys and gals enjoy it wherever it may be played.

I have to agree with ECPL on this.

If it wasn't Truro that money had been ploughed into, but another club in the old CSWL, would we be on here moaning about it? I doubt it.

Just because people are starting to support Truro people start to envy them. Yes, they may be glory hunters, jumpers onto the band wagon etc, but support must start from somewhere.

The chairman has done well by getting together a squad that is going places. The squad may have been bought in, but it's a squad that's capable of gaining promotion. Will the winners of the SWPL, who skip Western Div 1 and go into the Premier division be able to maintain their status? Truro got together a squad that has gelled together, and can play as a team.

I think next season Truro will probably struggle, but end up in mid table, and build on that for the next season and attempt to get higher up, and into the promotion places.

Guest plainmoor

City Fan,

I'm pretty sure that if some other club found a benefactor then they wouldn't promote the club in the tacky, tastless manner that truro are doing at present and have done for the last couple of years.

Only last year you had the the 'buzz' quote, "the next game is the biggest in truro's history" that was said after every interview.

I firmly believe that this whole thing is about tact, nothing more, nothing less, get the pitch PR right and people will not mind about their drive and ambition too much.

So answer me this question, why give half price admission this saturday, a day when the nearest senior football team is playing only 12 miles away? couldn't they have done the promotion for the 29th I believe (or boxing day if they are playing) as their nearest team hasn't got a game on those days?

I see nothing wrong with a Truro supporter giving fans information on this forum. But whats the point in Truro having thier own sub-forum if they post the same thing on the main forum. :blink:

Anita you keep saying that Truro supporters should post on their own sub-forum and not this one.To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Truro sub-forum.There is a Toolstation Western League section which give the results etc of Truro's matches,but it is not a Truro sub-section just because we are the only team in the county to play in that league at present.If as is hoped Truro get promotion to the Southern League next season and Falmouth Town get promoted to the Western League will you still call it the Truro sub-forum.Truro City take the stick for a lot of things on this forum so please dont make it worse by saying we have our own sub-forum it's just not true.Anyhow whats wrong with posting information on both sections,just in case someone doesn't visit one or other of the sections,no harm done surely.

KIT.

Some huge and amazing replies.

I think if you get right down to the nitty gritty's then it is all about who we are and what values we have.

A person puts a lot of money into one club and people come on here and say shame on him. But what if that money was being ploughed into your club.

People say that what is happening at Truro is not good for Cornwall. I wouldn't be surprised that before the FA Vase, the vast majority of people in the country would have had no idea where Truro was. They know now so was that not good for Cornwall.

Truro have been extremely fortunate to find a benefactor who is willing to 'splash the cash', but if he didn't what would have happened to Truro City FC. If Truro get a new all purpose sports stadium and state of the art facilities and the chairman gets his money back by building on the existing ground (assuming he can do) would that be considered bad for Cornwall.

People talk about new fans joining the band wagon at Truro; surely that is a person’s choice. This ‘I am an xyz supporter till I die’ nonsense was what almost destroyed our game in this country. Yes of course be passionate about your club and good on you, but why there is such vitriol and real hate expressed against another club especially Truro or is this just a Cornish thing because quite frankly I can’t fathom it out.

I'll say it again what if your club found a wealthy benefactor. Would you say, no thanks mate we are alright as we are. As if!!!.

We are a strange species we hate Liverpool but cheer on Gerrard when he plays for England, how daft can we be. I am sure a psychologist could come on here and tell us why we are like we are when it comes to the passion of football. Or is it that a tiny, tiny few find themselves on this web site to spout off what hardly anyone else even thinks about. It’s a game of football guys and gals enjoy it wherever it may be played.

Not a bad post ECPL. However, I don't believe that anybody has said they "hate" Truro City. The main opinion seems to be that people just don't give a damn about a club that's nothing at all to do with them, why should they?. Therefore, when it get's rammed in their face that Truro have won this, or paid that or planned something else, is it surprising that they are basically told to get lost?. NO, because we just don't care.

The quote about hating Liverpool but cheering on Gerrard when he plays for England, I see what you're saying but I believe that any TRUE fan will stand up and cheer anybody that represents their country. ONLY the narrowminded morons boo a player representing his country, just because he plays for a rival club to the one that he follows.

Then there's the quote about the "tiny, tiny few find themselves on this web to spout off what hardly anybody else thinks about". You mean like Truro City??. I think that statement is disrespectful because those "tiny, tiny few" are voicing their opinion and just because it may not be interesting to you, doesn't mean that it's not something that that person feels passionately about and other people may well be interested in. Open your mind fella.

Now for the psychologist statement. I've studied basic psychology and read my fair share of psychology books and I'd guarantee to you that pretty much all psychologists would answer your statement thus....

"The passion demonstrated between sets of rival football supporters and rival football clubs can be put down to the most basic trait posessed by mankind, the need to dominate and claim ones territory". "If it was 50,000 years ago, two cave men would battle it out for one cave or what they believed was their territory".

It is the mainframe of human structure and breeding to want to mark or protect ones territory, the rivalry between teams generally stems from one club being in a certain area first and then another club moving onto their patch and attempting to, in affect, take over or dominate that which was not under threat originally. Inside ALL of us there is a desire to be the best and stand out or dominate that which we believe we are best at. Liverpool want to be the best team in Liverpool, United in manchester etc etc. The supporters want the same thing and it is therefore inevitable that "rivalry and confrontation" is guaranteed to take place.

When and if Truro get into the Southern League (South and West) they will be going to places such as Uxbridge, Godalming, Winchester and Abingdon. These teams have average crowds of 100-200, so there won't be much away support at Treyew Road. Conversly the same can be said of Truro's away support. They will be playing away with hardly a "White Tiger Supporter" in the crowd due to travelling costs, etc.

If I was in Mr Heany's position I would buy a coach to take supporters to away matches. I would set up a travelling supporters club (where people have to pay say £25 to join) and then charge a subsidised price to travel to away matches. The price would cover the cost of fuel and a drivers wages.

The coach could then be hired out to local schools dring the week as a goodwill gesture. Then not only will Truro will have 50 away supporters at matches, but will be seen to be doing good in the local community. They will be seen to be giving something back all for the cost of a coach and might stop a few people getting their backs up.

First of all, I hope that Truro City do succeed with their dream, where others in the past have failed.

It will all be down to money in the end, and once that has gone, or once the 'dream' is no longer in favour, that's when we shall probably see a return of Truro City back into say the Peninsula league.

I honestly don't think they will get the gates to sustain their dream and after all, Truro is located in the deep South West and travel costs will also be a key figure in any plans. I just don't see 'the dream' being maintained. I hope I'm wrong, and only time will tell.

Good luck to Truro and all their supporters.

Merry Christmas to you all

Guest crosser

I see nothing wrong with a Truro supporter giving fans information on this forum. But whats the point in Truro having thier own sub-forum if they post the same thing on the main forum. :blink:

Anita you keep saying that Truro supporters should post on their own sub-forum and not this one.To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Truro sub-forum.There is a Toolstation Western League section which give the results etc of Truro's matches,but it is not a Truro sub-section just because we are the only team in the county to play in that league at present.If as is hoped Truro get promotion to the Southern League next season and Falmouth Town get promoted to the Western League will you still call it the Truro sub-forum.Truro City take the stick for a lot of things on this forum so please dont make it worse by saying we have our own sub-forum it's just not true.Anyhow whats wrong with posting information on both sections,just in case someone doesn't visit one or other of the sections,no harm done surely.

KIT.

can't realy answer for anita,

but in your post you say that if falmouth win promotion to the western league will it still be know as the "truro sub forum" no it will then become the falmouth sub forum as you will be playing in the southern league which will get its own sub forum "Southern league" this will then become know as the "Truro sub forum"

hope that clears it up :P

Yawn! How seldom some weigh their neighbours in the same balance as themselves!

coopsie's the psychologist I'll let him explain that to me :D :thumbsup:

First of all, I hope that Truro City do succeed with their dream, where others in the past have failed.

It will all be down to money in the end, and once that has gone, or once the 'dream' is no longer in favour, that's when we shall probably see a return of Truro City back into say the Peninsula league.

I honestly don't think they will get the gates to sustain their dream and after all, Truro is located in the deep South West and travel costs will also be a key figure in any plans. I just don't see 'the dream' being maintained. I hope I'm wrong, and only time will tell.

Good luck to Truro and all their supporters.

Merry Christmas to you all

Like Kernowman I have my misgivings about the future many years down the line for Truro City.

I cannot foresee a strong supporter base for ANY TEAM in Cornwall and that is not sour grapes, I just don't think it is there, most of those expected at matches would be playing themselves in the many leagues successfully competing locally.

I reside in Wycombe, when the Wanderers played in the Conference their crowds were regularly in excess of 7000, now in the Football League Division II they average just 4450 and losing about one and a half million pounds a season despite selling many of their better players and getting rent from London Wasps Rugby Club of approx half a million a year. I admit London clubs attract some of the Wanderers support but the main reason is they stopped winning most weeks, football crowds are fickle, most only follow a winning team.

I hope all City supporters enjoy the ride, progressing through the non-league is a great experience, unfortunately, geographical position could put a damper on things.

At the end of the day, it would be nice if Truro/Cornwall had a stadium to be proud of that could accommodate many different interests from Rugby to Soccer or even the holding of pop concerts, open air festivals etc.

Whats with all this doom and gloom Mountaineer,you have always been known as a positive thinking man,whats happened?As we all know this is all based on Kevin Heaneys dream of getting Truro into the higher leagues of football,and everyone at Truro are behind him with that.We all know there is nothing certain in football these days,in fact it can be quite a gamble.But as I have said before,you cant blame the man for trying,and if after a few years it all goes tits up and finish up where we started,what have we lost,nothing,because thats what we started with before Kevin Heaney came into the club and backed us.I know one thing,I and every other supporter at Truro will say that they enjoyed the ride while it lasted.All those down to the wire matches when we travelled away in the F.A. Vase,and the final at Wembley.Those will be in our memories for ever.So lets forget the doom and gloom for the while and enjoy the things that are happening at present.

KIT.

Whats with all this doom and gloom Mountaineer,you have always been known as a positive thinking man,whats happened?As we all know this is all based on Kevin Heaneys dream of getting Truro into the higher leagues of football,and everyone at Truro are behind him with that.We all know there is nothing certain in football these days,in fact it can be quite a gamble.But as I have said before,you cant blame the man for trying,and if after a few years it all goes tits up and finish up where we started,what have we lost,nothing,because thats what we started with before Kevin Heaney came into the club and backed us.I know one thing,I and every other supporter at Truro will say that they enjoyed the ride while it lasted.All those down to the wire matches when we travelled away in the F.A. Vase,and the final at Wembley.Those will be in our memories for ever.So lets forget the doom and gloom for the while and enjoy the things that are happening at present.

KIT.

Hello Kit,

I wouldn't call my posting Doom and Gloom, REALISTIC - YES or MAYBE.

That average Wycombe attendance I mentioned for this season of 4450 is the sixth highest in Division II, the sixteen clubs below Wycombe could be experiencing greater debt, as I said enjoy the ride, I have experienced it and you make many friends with many clubs, the secret is be hospitable and the hospitality returned is second to none, we had many weekends away mixing on a Saturday night out with the oppositions most passionate supporters.

I doubt if the 10,000 gates spoken of will be seen for home City games, however, I expect 10,000 new homes to be in the pipeline for the future, the question is, how many will be affordable for locals.

As you say Kit, the memories will live with you forever, well into dotage anyway

I too thank Mr Heaney for the memories, I also thank Dave Leonard who produced a Wembley winning team a year earlier than I expected.

If I am allowed to continue being REALISTIC, I remember for many years that Truro City were in the doldrums, that was when other clubs in the county made more favourable terms available to players they wanted to sign.

City's biggest critics oddly enough support those same teams, therefore, there is no guilt trip now it's City's time for GLORY.

Remember,

We're NOT Brazil,

We're TRURO CITY,

we only play that way.

I know a few of the long standing Truro supporters(The Red and Black brigade)

and regularly have phone chats about football in Cornwall but it is the new breed, on the bandwagon supporter that annoys me. All hyped up and ignorant of the organisation and the whole set up of the game.

A good example I read on the TC forum- an obviously new to football supporter enquired about a former player, Garner.

The answer came back he left for Bodmin but is now playing for Launceston, this supporter replied' I didnt know Launceston had a football club'

Oblivious to all football outside of Treyew Road.

This is seen as a newly formed club and so distanced from the old Cornish Truro City FC.we know.

Mike you have hit the nail right on the head! Good reply!

KIT.

can't realy answer for anita,

but in your post you say that if falmouth win promotion to the western league will it still be know as the "truro sub forum" no it will then become the falmouth sub forum as you will be playing in the southern league which will get its own sub forum "Southern league" this will then become know as the "Truro sub forum"

hope that clears it up :P

Yawn! How seldom some weigh their neighbours in the same balance as themselves!

coopsie's the psychologist I'll let him explain that to me :D:thumbsup:

Crosser mate, I believe that our friend "man on the post" is either demonstrating a disliking/boredom for my statement saying that I believe that ALL people are equal, no matter where they stand on the social ladder?. Either that OR he is making a very poor attempt at pointing out that there will always be rivalry between neighbouring teams and a certain amount of jealousy must always be felt. Even if it's total tosh, it is his opinion and we must respect that. Afterall, that's what this whole discussion is basically all about because Truro City appears not to have the respect of too many people outside of the club.

Guest Man on the Post

Coopsie, your analysis of the meaning of my comment is totally wrong in all respects, but I'm sure you know that! :D:D Compliments of the season to you. :thumbsup: :drink:

Guest Terrier Tom

Afterall, that's what this whole discussion is basically all about because Truro City appears not to have the respect of too many people outside of the club.

Whatever the reasons for this, their national reputation is excellent and given that their crowds are up another 40 odd percent this year and they are beginning to enter national leagues and competitions, I guess the club will be increasingly bothered by their national reputation and respect; which as it stands is that of one of the country's best non-league setups.

Shame that they haven't conducted their PR to please 'everyone' in Cornwall. However, given their crowds (esp for the big games) I am sure they are not losing sleep about the 'haters'.