Cornwall Football Forum

newlyn vs mariners 23rd dec off!!!

this weekends game has been called off already by newlyn due to the leisure center saying there pitch isnt fit to play! absulutely gutted as we have a dry forcast all week  and us guys want to play football!! surely common sense would say check the pitch on a friday or saturday morning rather than the start of the week?

6 hours ago, cornishlegend said:

More rain this week yet and with it being cold.and damp pitch ain' going to improve. Good decision to make early. 

a shocker i would say theres no rain forcast and quite mild all week,ive played there before where ive nearly drowned in the goal mouth!! theres bin no football played there for 2-4 weeks even games at clijah played last week!!!!

58 minutes ago, fudge said:

funny u should say that ive mentioned to couple people if passing by pop by take couple pictures

Fudge, I'm afraid that'll make no difference as the Leisure Centre own the pitch - if they say it can't be played on, it can't be played on.

You have plenty of notice to arrange an alternative venue though? Reverse it? Find a 3G?

its just a joke!! pitch hasnt bin played on for 2-4 weeks!!! they have apparently tryed to arrange a 3g pitch but its a no go because the school is shut for holidays which i can belive but surely someone would be free to open a changing room etc.End of the day i think anyone or any organisation calling of a game on a tuesday is taking the piss when a pitch inspection on a saturday morning could be done,were not travelling from manchester!!!!!!

4 hours ago, B_D said:

Fudge, I'm afraid that'll make no difference as the Leisure Centre own the pitch - if they say it can't be played on, it can't be played on.

You have plenty of notice to arrange an alternative venue though? Reverse it? Find a 3G?

Could also be staffing levels as it is Xmas weekend and as most firms lots on holiday and probably only skeleton staff , not ideal but as BD states they own the pitch and they can dictate when and if it is available  , enjoy your Xmas and hopefully in the new year we have  more refs available , dry weather no more clubs folding .Good  luck to all clubs , officials and volunteers at your clubs  you all deserve a pat on the back  without you we have no local football .

59 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Speaking to a Trelawny League committee member on sat at our game he said there was a backlog of nearlly 100 games before Saturday. Surely teams should try and do more to get games on ?  With the shortage of refs also this is gonna be a long season 

totally agree!!!! this case is just unbelivable could understand if there were floods all week!!!

11 hours ago, Robbo said:

Speaking to a Trelawny League committee member on sat at our game he said there was a backlog of nearlly 100 games before Saturday. Surely teams should try and do more to get games on ?  With the shortage of refs also this is gonna be a long season 

Correct - Dave James has his work cut out for him at the moment. Unfortunately the backlog will only mean one thing in realistic terms - more midweek fixtures in April and May; some teams may even find themselves playing three times a week. Double headers will of course help ease the backlog if both teams agree, however they are not inclined too.

The weather has not helped at all and the referee shortage certainly hasn't either - Unfortunately both have a massive effect on the League fixtures. We can't help the weather but it would have been great if more teams had a volunteer ready to referee (perhaps the clubs could help fund a referee course along with help from the League/County)? That said, it's also been known this season where teams have offered their opposition a volunteer referee, only for them to decline? Is it time to adjust the League Rules so that if a volunteer comes forward, the game has to be played? This rule already exists but only comes into play during the "ordered period".

For me, I'd like to see games kicking off earlier in August (first week) so that we can take advantage of the dry weather and the sunshine - playing on a pitch regularly in the "sunny" months will also have less of a cosmetic effect than in the "wet" months.  

10 hours ago, stevieb said:

Could also be staffing levels as it is Xmas weekend and as most firms lots on holiday and probably only skeleton staff , not ideal but as BD states they own the pitch and they can dictate when and if it is available  , enjoy your Xmas and hopefully in the new year we have  more refs available , dry weather no more clubs folding .Good  luck to all clubs , officials and volunteers at your clubs  you all deserve a pat on the back  without you we have no local football .

This!! Stevie knows what’s what!

Fudge there are loads of pitches around, try to find an alternative if you’re desperate to play.