Cornwall Football Forum

TAVISTOCK V NEWQUAY...SENSIBLE REFEREEING PLEASE.

I'm not a person to get on the back of referees who make 'poor' decisions which ultimately effect games, but Newquays last few games away at Bodmin and last week at St Austell have left me feeling disappointed with the refereeing standard of those two games.

The Bodmin game was refereed like a pantomime come early, and affected both sides, the management of both teams and the supporters. But the most obvious game effecting decision came last weekend when Newquay full back Harry Tilston was shown a straight red for a shoulder to shoulder, touch line challenge that admittedly bounced the young Alfie Flack over the touch line. Two players coming together at speed, moving in different directions. No raised feet, no use of hands or arms or head. Dangerous? NO. Physical?YES. Flack was straight back on his feet and ready to play. On most grounds across the country I feel it would be a stern talking too, followed at worst by a yellow card. If it was a yellow then a red would have followed as Tilston had been booked earlier.  That I would have understood and agreed with. Instead a straight red !! Sensible refereeing? I think not...Game changing ? Definitely.

As for the Newquay manager being sent to the stand I cannot comment as I was too far away to know what he said. However having just seen his side get back to 1-1 and having taken over the momentum of the game, to be reduced to ten must have been frustrating. That's not saying it's right to shout any sort of abuse, but the referees inconsistent abuse of the laws was perhaps a mitigating circumstance. The Newquay managers frustration could perhaps be traced back to earlier in the first half when Newquay's Max Everard was taken out from behind in front of his manager and the dugouts, leaving him on his back having been booted up in the air. The youngster did not roll around or scream in pain, instead like Flack would later, jumped straight up to get on with the game with the free kick having been given. NO yellow, NO red, NO talking to ? MADNESS. At 0-0 it was not a game changing moment, but again the referee needed to show some consistency and apply the laws to both teams, then managers might not get so frustrated.. (Maybe!!!!!!)

On a positive note it was an entertaining game of football which both teams deserve credit for and could have gone either way. Also good to see both managers giving youngsters and Cornwall County under 18s starting berths.  St Austells Gab Hamshore at right back was exceptional and he kept Newquay's Tornado Bello and Jack Bray Evans in check for most of the game, whilst Alfie Flack showed pace and touch when he came on as a left winger late in the last quarter of the game. For Newquay Everard, starting in midfield was up against a strong St Austell middle which included man of the match Chris Reski, but along with his partner and last seasons County under 18s midfielder Cam Turner, again showed he has a passing game which includes composure and is starting to develop an understanding with the more experienced Turner. The youngster in the Newquay side who deserves the real applause is the 17 year old Newquay keeper. Zac Roberts who must be first name on the team sheet and not because he's their No 1. He is improving game on game. Brave, a good shot stopper, good early distribution of the ball and kicks well off the floor and from hand. The County under 18s must have good keepers for him not to be in the squad. 

Tomorrow Newquay travel to play the superb Tavistock side. I guess no one expects Newquay to get a result up there. Very few will get the better of Tavistock this season. For the managers, players and supporters my hope would be for an entertaining game, but whatever the result above all some sensible consistent refereeing..

Disagree here, no side in any league (Premier, Peninsula, or Sunday league) can blame a Referee for winning only one game in 8 like Newquay's current league form. I believe decisions even themselves out over a season (just my opinion). Sure you will turn it around though, very sad news this week coming out of Mt.Wise regarding Phil Ryder's death, now there was a man who would of got you a few goals, he would of got you out of your barron run. Played in the Great Newquay teams of old. Great player, great guy. Condolences to Phil's family

Leeds I have to disagree with you! The ref was awful on sat and think the standard this year is the worst I’ve seen in a good few seasons!! But we are not going to moan loosing by the odd goal instead of 4-5 like last season I’ll take that!! Looking forward to the tough challenge tomorrow against a great Tavi side!! 

10 hours ago, Plumb crazy said:

Have to agree with Danny I, having played for sides that won the lge and sides that have needed to be re-elected the refs always seem to favour the top side. Seems to happen in all leagues

If that's the case  ( which I am not disagreeing with ) then players who have played for & won things with the top teams, & have then stepped down to play for the 'not so good sides' must now see how its like with the 'boot on the other foot!' not getting the decisions ( in their opinion ) :thumbsup: