Cornwall Football Forum
wazza10

Senior football facility's

Looking for people's opinions before I submit something to the combination league committee.Today we (Pendeen rovers)played against perranwell at perran and on arrival was presented with a council park pitch and dugouts that wasn't fit for 5 kids to sit in let alone 8 adults as stated in the league rules should be able to seat,the grass wasn't cut and the pitch looked like the cows had been removed just before we arrived.

my point is on promotion and acceptance in to the lwc combination league ourselves and west Cornwall were given a list of requirements and standards we had to adhere to to gain promotion to senior football ourselves and west Cornwall I believe had to rebuild the dugouts to the size in this list which was substantially bigger than what we had,so why are teams that are trying to better themselves and play the highest level possible being given such things to do when we arrive at grounds that are nowhere near the standard we have been told we should be at so far perranwell and culdrose are nowhere near the standards that apparently they should be,so I'm thinking about putting to league committee that if teams looking for promotion to the combination league have to meet these standard surely the teams currently in the league should be given a time scale to bring there ground/facility's upto standard as well,it irrelevant they may have been in the league for years surely it can't be one rule for upcoming teams and another for established teams.Im sorry if this sounds harsh but we at Pendeen have worked hard to get back to this standard and jumped through hoops to get facility's up to certain standard to be accepted but when we turn up to what we did today seemed like going back to junior standards and surely this isn't acceptable.

what are people opinions on this I'm not looking to fall out or cause massive arguements but surely it needs addressing.

4 minutes ago, St Darren said:

1.  I don’t think it’s deemed as senior football anymore, or possibly next season

2.  Is it because it’s a council pitch that they don’t have the ability to construct dugouts appropriate

But surely something needs to be done about this 

16 minutes ago, St Darren said:

2.  Is it because it’s a council pitch that they don’t have the ability to construct dugouts appropriate

Falmouth Athletic were told they HAD to get dugouts sorted (had nothing at the time) when they got promoted a couple of seasons ago. They played on a Council pitch??

Sadly there has always been the old boys network in local football and sadly clubs are allowed to hide behind the excuse that their ground is council owned. The powers to be will never deal with the issue. 

4 hours ago, wazza10 said:

Looking for people's opinions before I submit something to the combination league committee.Today we (Pendeen rovers)played against perranwell at perran and on arrival was presented with a council park pitch and dugouts that wasn't fit for 5 kids to sit in let alone 8 adults as stated in the league rules should be able to seat,the grass wasn't cut and the pitch looked like the cows had been removed just before we arrived.

my point is on promotion and acceptance in to the lwc combination league ourselves and west Cornwall were given a list of requirements and standards we had to adhere to to gain promotion to senior football ourselves and west Cornwall I believe had to rebuild the dugouts to the size in this list which was substantially bigger than what we had,so why are teams that are trying to better themselves and play the highest level possible being given such things to do when we arrive at grounds that are nowhere near the standard we have been told we should be at so far perranwell and culdrose are nowhere near the standards that apparently they should be,so I'm thinking about putting to league committee that if teams looking for promotion to the combination league have to meet these standard surely the teams currently in the league should be given a time scale to bring there ground/facility's upto standard as well,it irrelevant they may have been in the league for years surely it can't be one rule for upcoming teams and another for established teams.Im sorry if this sounds harsh but we at Pendeen have worked hard to get back to this standard and jumped through hoops to get facility's up to certain standard to be accepted but when we turn up to what we did today seemed like going back to junior standards and surely this isn't acceptable.

what are people opinions on this I'm not looking to fall out or cause massive arguements but surely it needs addressing.

Some sounds bitter they drew 1 all with 10 men 

1 hour ago, wazza10 said:

The occasional full stop wouldn’t have gone amiss there. Only just caught my breath! 🙃

2 hours ago, Mama Sidibe said:

The occasional full stop wouldn’t have gone amiss there. Only just caught my breath! 🙃

Fair one sorry 

3 hours ago, le boss said:

Sadly there has always been the old boys network in local football and sadly clubs are allowed to hide behind the excuse that their ground is council owned. The powers to be will never deal with the issue. 

It's an absolute joke clubs have to make big renovations to there grounds to be promoted to this league but it's acceptable to play on nothing more than a park pitch,it's annoying as when we porthlevan came to us they made a formal complaint to league about the length of the grass and a couple bricks left next to changing rooms 

3 hours ago, ian beale said:

Someone needs to get a life. 

Haha really just stating a fact about a total mate and not fair on clubs who are wanting to get promoted 

2 hours ago, ian beale said:

Someone needs to get a life. 

But he has a point ,   I have no axe to grind with Perranwell  but the dugouts were brought up last season , someone stated that the portable ones blew over ,  most times recently , haven't been there this season there are wooden benches to sit on in front of the stand , very old school   ,  the league gives  clubs seeking promotion to the combo  what the minimum is required to get their grounds up to the level required  , so Pendeen had to make upgrades and as a club they have every right to ask for clarity  . We all know that it is council / playing field owned   and difficult to have permanent dugouts .

I know when Carharrack looked to gain promotion from Trelawny we were given the rules above and had to meet the minimum ground grading criteria. So we did just that, we had to knock down our perfectly fine dugouts then spend over £1000 on new ones. I don’t really get the council pitch argument as Redruth United at Chilijah has dugouts built on them at their own cost.

39 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

The rules are available to see online :- http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/leaguerules.html

Thanks Dave , had a quick scan and it  is there  about dugouts in the rules , also a fine of £5 for not providing a trained linesman . Also about trained first aider plus stretcher available haven't seen many of those about ,  ( stretcher) . 

6 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Thanks Dave , had a quick scan and it  is there  about dugouts in the rules , also a fine of £5 for not providing a trained linesman . Also about trained first aider plus stretcher available haven't seen many of those about ,  ( stretcher) . 

For some reason dugouts should be 4m long in order to sit 8 players/coaches,we had to knock down our perfectly adequate dugouts and rebuild them.this isn't a personal attack on perran all I'm saying is if clubs want to gain promotion to the combo league there are a lot of guidelines and sometimes a lot of expense to do this yet the clubs already in the league don't have adhere to these rules surely all clubs should have to have the same standards 

As a spectator arriving at any ground; it's nice to park next to the ground, have a covered area available for spectators; refreshments/bar and toilet facilities available during/after the game (within walking distance); an enclosed environment/atmosphere, safe for kids etc. I consider these facilities/characteristics far more important to local football than providing dugouts. Unfortunately, some clubs (due to a number reasons) are unable to move forward in certain directions. I doubt players decide to sign for a senior club on the basis that they have dugouts or not, and the same applies for spectators deciding to watch a game. Ideally, dugouts should be provided, however, if it's so important, could/would the CCFA provide funding for such facilities?

Perhaps you thought it was acceptable to leave the changing room floor covered in mud off your boots ,as the cows would be back in there after you had gone.

Your manager was moaning to the ref before the game about the penalty spot, which the ref measured out and said was right, and on your point of it being a public playing field Wazza 10 ,a member of the parish council was watching the game, and thought the language of your manager was disgusting with children playing near by.

5 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

There is a stretcher available at clijah Croft in the corridor beside the changing rooms. The only problem would be that paramedics bring their own with them,so there is no real need for one.

Ambulances do indeed have their own stretchers, however on a Saturday afternoon they can be two or three hours away. The facilities for injured players are a joke. All teams should at least have space blankets available (they cost less than a fiver) or you could be adding pneumonia to the problem. It’s one thing requiring a firstaider to be present, quite another to provide them with the kit they need to keep players safe.

6 hours ago, THE WELL 66 said:

Perhaps you thought it was acceptable to leave the changing room floor covered in mud off your boots ,as the cows would be back in there after you had gone.

Your manager was moaning to the ref before the game about the penalty spot, which the ref measured out and said was right, and on your point of it being a public playing field Wazza 10 ,a member of the parish council was watching the game, and thought the language of your manager was disgusting with children playing near by.

TBF you must be on a different planet if you(or the member of the parish council) believed the swearing was coming from one bench!

With regards mud on your concrete floor! - it’s football mate mud is surely gonna fall off boots ...

Surely the point being made was  all new teams entering said league,are meant to meet a minimum set standards. Then surely it is only fair to expect that all teams in that league meet the same standards,no?....

6 hours ago, THE WELL 66 said:

Haven't your club had the parish council on their backs about bad language last season  ?  It is difficult to control now days as the F  and C word seems to have become part of everyday language  not in my opinion a good thing , back in the day the C word aimed at anyone was fighting talk , trouble is in the heat of a game things get said which sometimes in the cold light of day shouldn't .

2 hours ago, rovers08 said:

TBF you must be on a different planet if you(or the member of the parish council) believed the swearing was coming from one bench!

With regards mud on your concrete floor! - it’s football mate mud is surely gonna fall off boots ...

Surely the point being made was  all new teams entering said league,are meant to meet a minimum set standards. Then surely it is only fair to expect that all teams in that league meet the same standards,no?....

Exactly but seems to have been taken personally by perranwell and wasn't meant like that

On 19 November 2017 at 18:12, stevieb said:

Haven't your club had the parish council on their backs about bad language last season  ?  It is difficult to control now days as the F  and C word seems to have become part of everyday language  not in my opinion a good thing , back in the day the C word aimed at anyone was fighting talk , trouble is in the heat of a game things get said which sometimes in the cold light of day shouldn't .

Stevie, you are correct on the bad language, the Parish Council complained to the club and we raise this with Refs before every match. As you know the children's playground is right next to the pitch and you would think there would be more respect, but some teams apparently have no issue with using foul language next to young children, it's disgraceful.

On the subject of the pitch, the comments are unfair, like most pitches in the recent weather, ours has suffered, but the pitch had been rolled and the grass is not taken to the lowest cut to try and help protect it from cutting up; it won't be the longest grass that Pendeen have to play on in the league, that's for certain!

The club has tried to improve the dugouts, the ground is not Council owned, but is a King George V Playing field and it has a certain protected status because of it. The playing field committee has been approached about permanent dugouts, but for whatever reason will not give the club consent to build them, so we are stuck with the temporary dugouts until something changes.

We look forward to playing at "Premiership"standard facilities when we go to Pendeen later in the season! ; - )

It would be ideal if all clubs were able to make gradual improvements to their facilities but I know money is always going to be a problem. I am currently doing a survey of basic facilities for all clubs - not everyone has replied yet despite the questionnaire being given out at the AGM in June! When it is complete, the committee will be aware of all "short-commings" and will no doubt devise a strategy to get all clubs up to the required standard. Personnally, if the weather is bad, I believe clubs should refuse to play a game at a venue where ALL* of their "dugout party" were not offered protection from the elements during a game.(* up to 5 subs, manager, assistant/coach & 1st Aider - maximum of 8). Not sure all of the management committee would agree with my opinion though!

For what it’s worth, I think the standard of facilities across the league are good for the level we play at and the money available at this level of the game. I’m convinced every club in the combo does their upmost to make the best of what they have and improve facilities when they are financially able. All this nonsense about whether or not a dugout holds 8 people is complete rubbish. Most teams are struggling to get 11 on the pitch at the moment let alone having subs to fill a dugout. Football at this level is dying and these rules are making it increasingly hard for teams to cope / exist. 

As for the Perranwell dugouts, they do hold 8 as we tried it last season. 

3 hours ago, John Mead said:

It would be ideal if all clubs were able to make gradual improvements to their facilities but I know money is always going to be a problem. I am currently doing a survey of basic facilities for all clubs - not everyone has replied yet despite the questionnaire being given out at the AGM in June! When it is complete, the committee will be aware of all "short-commings" and will no doubt devise a strategy to get all clubs up to the required standard. Personnally, if the weather is bad, I believe clubs should refuse to play a game at a venue where ALL* of their "dugout party" were not offered protection from the elements during a game.(* up to 5 subs, manager, assistant/coach & 1st Aider - maximum of 8). Not sure all of the management committee would agree with my opinion though!

Buy an umbrella, or maybe a coat, that’s what the spectators have to do and they’re not fit young athletes!

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

I did the same Older but if we are to attract the "new breed" of players, the better the facilities, the more chance there is they'll carry on playing!

I don't think you can do anything to slow the demise of local football anymore - too many distractions these days.

And they are fed up playing by the time they reach 16 they have already done a 10 year stint with kids / daddies football.

And to much televised football is the final nail.

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I don't think you can do anything to slow the demise of local football anymore - too many distractions these days.

And they are fed up playing by the time they reach 16 they have already done a 10 year stint with kids / daddies football.

And to much televised football is the final nail.

Distractions older - you either like playing football or you don't.

As for televised football - the lower leagues and Scottish games are good to watch. The Premier league is just a stage for those who bask in their own egos. Cheaters (divers) anger merchants who curse the officials, and glamour, hype and tripe - interspersed with advertisements for gambling.

Distractions - no sir. If you love football - you will play football.

4 hours ago, Keith B said:

Distractions older - you either like playing football or you don't.

As for televised football - the lower leagues and Scottish games are good to watch. The Premier league is just a stage for those who bask in their own egos. Cheaters (divers) anger merchants who curse the officials, and glamour, hype and tripe - interspersed with advertisements for gambling.

Distractions - no sir. If you love football - you will play football.

Sad though Keith , football isn't as popular as it once was and less are involved be it players , fans or volunteers other local sports in the same boat ,  if you look around the more established clubs in the combo you see the same faces behind the scenes , the ones that man the gate ,tea hut , look after pitches facilities , fixture's ect ect , it's good to see the ambitious clubs , like Pendeen , West Cornwall and Carharack recently making the step up and they have been a breath of fresh air hope it continues for the league future and success .

All clubs have to attempt to improve because if you stand still you get stagnant and soon your club will be lucky to survive. But you need volunteers behind the scene's and this is where you start to get problems because players tend to move from club to club.we are lucky where we have wife's and mothers willing to help and it does help tremendously.

3 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

All clubs have to attempt to improve because if you stand still you get stagnant and soon your club will be lucky to survive. But you need volunteers behind the scene's and this is where you start to get problems because players tend to move from club to club.we are lucky where we have wife's and mothers willing to help and it does help tremendously.

And yourself  .

Some good points raised in the thread regarding participation levels.

I personally don't think it's directly correlated to facilities at all though. That is a much smaller issue in the grand scheme of things and can even be used as a convenient justification for the "I'd rather do something else with my Saturdays" crowd. 

I think it's probably a symptom of much broader issues in society. People are arguably more overworked now and have less energy, time or financial means to engage in sport as a past time.

It takes a lot more energy to be an active participant in your own life than it does to passively observe other people's. This doesn't go just for Football but it just so happens that it is quite a good example.

Things like rising food prices, a huge fall in living standards (the biggest in 60 years in the UK), wages falling massively behind inflation, poor quality food etc. These are the culprits, not the dugouts or the length of the grass. :)

13 hours ago, a little bit of a dinho said:

Some good points raised in the thread regarding participation levels.

I personally don't think it's directly correlated to facilities at all though. That is a much smaller issue in the grand scheme of things and can even be used as a convenient justification for the "I'd rather do something else with my Saturdays" crowd. 

I think it's probably a symptom of much broader issues in society. People are arguably more overworked now and have less energy, time or financial means to engage in sport as a past time.

It takes a lot more energy to be an active participant in your own life than it does to passively observe other people's. This doesn't go just for Football but it just so happens that it is quite a good example.

Things like rising food prices, a huge fall in living standards (the biggest in 60 years in the UK), wages falling massively behind inflation, poor quality food etc. These are the culprits, not the dugouts or the length of the grass. :)

I agree Adam. I've been tempted to make a comebackover the last few months but is hard when I hardly see the kids and missus during the week to go off on a Saturday a d spend most the day out at football leaving them at home. 

Also the missus working the odd Saturday doesn't help as I wouldn't be able to commit and play as much as id like too. 

Hope things are well with you and might pop down and watch you in a bit of the weather holds off.