Cornwall Football Forum

Well done Newquay. ...(Newquay 5. Ivybridge 1)

After a few days reflection (And no midweek game) I think it's worth saying well done to Newquay for an excellent team performance on Saturday. After a disappointing run of five straight defeats following a good start to their season, the possibility of sliding back down the table had to be halted.

When I was younger it was occasionally quoted to me that " if you always do what you always do, then you will always get what you always get".  I would suggest that in those last five defeats Newquay have pretty much been "doing what they have always been doing." And the results, well they have "got what they have always got"..0 points. Something had to change. Perhaps a bit of luck, perhaps a change of formation, perhaps the style of play, definitely better ball retention and passing, perhaps a change of personel,  perhaps a combination of all of the above? No doubt dented I'm sure the teams confidence needed a boost that perhaps only a victory would bring..

Striker Glenn Squires started the season on fire, but the last few games the service to him could have been better and he was in the a middle of a baron spell. As a team, ball retention had become poor and there were games where the team struggled to find a passing rhythm. Too many touches slowed the attacks, and too many "over hits" led to to just giving the ball back to the opposition. Also much less football was being played out from the back and through the thirds. It was not that everything was wrong, more perhaps that Newquay needed to go back to basics and start doing what they were doing so well at the start and during the early part of the season. 

So as Saturday rolled up, would it again be "if you always do"" for a sixth game..? Would Squires Baron spell continue? How could manager Tony McKellor return his side to winning ways? Well to start with he made a number of changes to the starting line-up of the midweek defeat away to Bodmin. In came Jack  Scott to play on the wing.  Recent signing from Sticker, Tylor Cheshire was given the start at centre forward with Glenn Squires dropping into a 10 role and Max Everard started at centre midfield partnering Cameron Turner. 

The personel changes certainly brought something different. Tyler Cheshire time and again showed pace and good strength to hold the ball up and spread the play wide before turning to get back into the front line and was rewarded by scoring a brace. Jack Scott  worked well up and down the wing and Max Everard knitted the middle together with simple ball retentention passing. For me the biggest change was the looking to play out from the back and through the middle rather than just the long over hits. The centre backs, Dan O,Hagen and Tom Whipp were once again splitting wide and the full backs pushing forward, giving Keeper Zac Roberts more options and Cam Turner played an excellent defensive midfielder role where he played a more complete game by playing both long range passing combined with a shorter ball game linking up with midfield partner Max Everard.

And what of Squires ? Well, early in the game Max Everard turned in the middle and threaded a pass forward to team Captain Jack Bray Evans. Evans kept the ball moving forward finding Squires wide of the right hand post. A scuffed shot hit the target and crept under the despairing keeper. An awful goal, but it gave Newquay the lead and boosted their confidence? Squires drought was over. All of a sudden he looked like a new player. Fiercer shots on target from him from outside the box were followed up with two more goals, one a shot, one a poachers toe poke off a fierce Jack Bray Evans free kick  to complete a back to form hat trick. Proof that Confidence is everything.

Five goals and an excellent team performance. Happy days at Mount Wise.

Great performance on Saturday, and made for a good journey back across the Tamar to Teignmouth. Even the fighting lads on the piss on the Newquay to Par Train, and then on the Par to Exeter train couldn't dampen my mood. Mind, when they got off at Plimuff, they were replaced by two very drunk 50 somethings that were hilarious. They didn't know each other, and they could barely stand, or speak, but they had a cracking conversation that neither they, or anybody else could understand. 

Hopefully, I can get to St Austell on Saturday, failing that Buckland Athletic are at home in the Les Phillips Cup. Mind, I have the kids and it might end up being Bampton in the Devon and Exeter, or Tiverton Town because they live that way. 

Great result for Newquay, although it's probably the worst Ivybridge team I've seen in many years, they were very poor, normally hard to beat and apply a physical presence but this was a young ivy team with probably a massive lack of experience. Turner in the midfield is a real player, so composed and a lovely left foot, thought the defence  and keeper were not tested hardly and the captain holds on to the ball for far too long, game was won in the first half.