Cornwall Football Forum

Sticker 2 Helston 2

Went along to Burngullow Park last night and was treated to a great game full of talking points. Chances, soft penalty scored, definite penalty not given, two sides playing at a real athletic pace, sprinkled with some quality, two fabulous goals, one from each side, a good crowd, and a few iffy referring decisions.. The whole together made for a good evenings football.

Before the kick off having seen both sides a number of times this season I felt Helston would win this game.  However the narrow Sticker 1-0 defeat to Bodmin suggested they are gradually growing into the Peninsular Premiership and should not be taken lightly.

Inside the first ten or so minutes Sticker could have been 4-0 up but for some good keeping and wayward finishing. Time and again their frontline pace ripped the Helston defence open and their strikers one on one against Barry Wyatt.. Helston found their shape though and started creating chances of their own. It was quite an end to end encounter and Matty Buchan had a superb first half for Helston, his srength and pace to win balls that were often 70/30 against him, tremendous to watch. 

The first Helston goal on 33 minutes was a deflected Buchan shot cutting in from wide left inside the area and it moved the games momentum in Helstons favour. Three minutes later and Helston, pressing their advantage scored a  second goal which was was special. Kirk Davis attacking at pace down the right moved the ball inside to Dan Stilwell who  from around the edge of the area planted a cracking bending shot past keeper Blatchford. No blame on Blatchford as few keepers would have got near to that effort. 2-0 half time but with better finishing it could easily have been Sticker well out in the lead at the break.

Seven minutes into the second half and what looked to me to be a very soft penalty, given I believe by the linesman, gave Sticker their way back and Jack Bowyer sent Barry Wyatt the wrong way. At 2-1 it was Stickers turn to press and make the most of their moment and five minutes later they were level with a rocket from Frank McAvoy. Similar distance to Stidwells earlier effort, but no bend on this one, just raw pace and into the top corner. Fantastic strike.

As the game progressed both teams had chances, but Sticker had a massive shout for a second penalty. To me this one was nailed on and Helston had got away with one. However as said I thought the first Penalty was soft so perhaps it had evened itself out.

Both sides had more chances as the game continued end to end at a fair old pace with a few hefty challenges and a few yellow cards to match them. The last ten-fifteen minutes Helston had the greater possession and chances but even with a string of consecutive corners they could not regain the lead against a determined Sticker.

A £5.00 note well spent. A draw I feel the right result. As an observation, with so much pace and desire to get forward from Helston, I felt they missed the game craft and technical know how of suspended Charlie Young in the middle tonight. His ability to play balls around corners, in between fullbacks and behind defences I feel has been a big part of Helstons improvement since he arrived from Porthleven. Clever player.