Cornwall Football Forum

The Trelawny League has created a big gap in terms of reserves and senior teams and whilst I can’t speak for Illogan they have a similar issue to what we have at Holmans where we have a reserve side playing effectively 4 divisions below the next team up.

reserve players are reluctant to make the step up as they view it as a big step (although to be honest the way we are playing probably not) but it’s difficult to create a competition for places if you know that if you drop a player out the first team squad they would probably bugger off rather then drop 4 leagues

this is not a Trelawny League bash but if you take into account 10 years ago we had a side in combo and one in div 1 of FHFL & one in div 1 of Mining understandably competition for places was better and players didn’t mind interchanging between sides as it wasn’t deemed such a drop or as big a challenge to step up

Theirs also also other factors of player / club loyalty and the issue of players migrating with certain managers but will save that discussion for when I have a spare 3 hours

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bug bear i’ve found us that as I’ve got older, I’ve picked up more responsibilities... some of these responsibilities nag a lot.

I get an earful if a game gets called off last minute because it’s a waste of a day. 

I’m also reminded often that I could always be doing something else rather than sat on a bench (the things to do list seems to grow exponentially when I’m not home). Therefore, I question whether anything less than 60mins is worth the aggro.

Same with travelling. Especially in the lower leagues when you’re playing new teams of superstars... you again question what would be the better use of time? Massaging these teams ego’s or painting the shed? 

I’m on the verge of packing it in for most of the reasons above. At the ripe age of 32 and having never achieved a high standard of football, I find myself making way for the kids more often. This isn’t a bad thing for football (though I do remember it being harder to break into a side as a youth rather than a formality). But less game time is less justifiable to offset my other commitments. 

As as a note, I agree with the notion of players not being unregistered at the end of a season. It works in cricket... rules can be changed

10 hours ago, Laity_Boy said:

I’m also reminded often that I could always be doing something else rather than sat on a bench (the things to do list seems to grow exponentially when I’m not home). Therefore, I question whether anything less than 60mins is worth the aggro.

Time on the bench is an issue for all of us at this level.

I'm still not convinced that 5 substitutes and repeated substitutions actually increases participation or interest.

I fully accept they are useful at times but overall I think they just result in more players NOT getting 90 minutes and, unless fitness is an issue, the vast majority of players want a full game.

It is not very appealing to marginal players to be facing a few minutes each half week in week out. Three repeatable subs at this level would seem adequate to me.

20 hours ago, Laity_Boy said:

A bug bear i’ve found us that as I’ve got older, I’ve picked up more responsibilities... some of these responsibilities nag a lot.

I get an earful if a game gets called off last minute because it’s a waste of a day. 

Same with travelling. Especially in the lower leagues when you’re playing new teams of superstars... you again question what would be the better use of time? Massaging these teams ego’s or painting the shed? 

I’m on the verge of packing it in for most of the reasons above. At the ripe age of 32 and having never achieved a high standard of football, I find myself making way for the kids more often. This isn’t a bad thing for football (though I do remember it being harder to break into a side as a youth rather than a formality). But less game time is less justifiable to offset my other commitments. 

As as a note, I agree with the notion of players not being unregistered at the end of a season. It works in cricket... rules can be changed

That's called growing up ....lol