Cornwall Football Forum

MOUSEHOLE AFC ANNOUNCE NEXT STAGE IN THEIR FIVE-YEAR DEVELOPMENT PLAN

MOUSEHOLE AFC ANNOUNCE NEXT STAGE IN THEIR FIVE-YEAR DEVELOPMENT PLAN

Mousehole AFC have announced the signing of 30-year old former Scottish Premier League striker Calum Elliot as player and full-time academy coach while also working alongside first-team manager Kevin Richards.  Calum made 144 top-flight appearances for Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee and Livingston, being named Scottish Player of the Month three times, scoring 51 goals in a total of 234 games and representing Scotland 15 times at Under-20 and U21 levels.  A UEFA ‘B’ coach, Calum was most recently the technical director of a major football academy in Canada. 

Director of Football Jason Blunt said:  

“I’m delighted to welcome Calum Elliot to the club.  Having already spent some time with us, he’s seen first-hand the enormous potential in what we’re intending to achieve here, and is ready and able to make a major contribution both on and off the pitch.”  

“We’re still in the early stages of our 5-year plan, but so many amazing things have happened already.  Our Junior teams recently went to Yorkshire, playing both Leeds United and Sheffield United and having training sessions with league professional coaches, together with visits to Manchester United and Manchester City.  Our new Endorsed Academy Youth teams – with more age groups getting off the ground in the near future - operate from our recently acquired excellent second ground, at Marazion, which has proved to be a major asset for training and fixtures.  We’ve brought in Kevin Richards as first team manager with his unsurpassed knowledge of the footballing scene in West Cornwall and beyond.  One of our Academy players, 19-year old Jorome Slew, is currently in his third week of trials with Championship club Barnsley.”

“And there’s much more to come.  We’re going to be running an international soccer camp in partnership with a Pro club next year and also launching a new pro tournament – the Endorsed Cup – in the summer:  more details to be announced later.  In the meantime, I’ll be continuing to define and reinforce the club’s footballing philosophy, directing coaching across the whole of the Academy, and developing relationships with professional clubs on a national and international basis.  Looking outwards, and because we’re passionate about helping Cornish football, we aim to be working closely with others including Cornwall FA to raise standards of coaching across the County, and establish a ‘cluster club partnership programme’ to share coaching ideas, strategies and resources, and create the necessary competitive environment for our talented youngsters to reach their full potential.”

8 minutes ago, St Darren said:

fantastic ambition from the club but what is the legacy to be? How can full time employees be sustainable in Cornwall let alone mousehole where the catchment area is even smaller 

I have to say Darren I'm struggling to get my head around this Mousehole situation. Although by all accounts it's being helped along by generous former player(s).

I understand that Jason Blunt is pulling back on his involvement locally in as much as he is getting involved in an academy elsewhere, but which is going to be linked somehow with Mousehole, but no mention of that in the news release and so unconfirmed at the moment.