Cornwall Football Forum

Important reminder to all clubs from SWPL NEWSLETTER

NOTES FROM RECENT FA MEETING HELD BETWEEN FA & SOUTH WEST LEAGUES:

Promotion from Step 6 to Step 5: Application paperwork has been issued and must be returned to the FA by December 31st.

The current deadline for clubs at Step 6 to achieve Grade G remains as 31st March 2018 and clubs who do not hold a G Grade are reminded that relegation to Step 7 will follow at the end of the season irrespective of league position.

Priority of promotion to Step 6 remains as it is (1 per Division, top 3 finish etc) BUT Clubs in Step 7 who meet Grade H in full, or Grade H with planning permission for lights, may also be promoted to Step 6 at the end of this season on a points per game basis to fill vacancies caused by clubs being demoted. Clubs in East & West to apply as normal but should be made aware that for one season only they may be considered even if finishing lower in the table. Applications direct to the league by January 31st.

1 hour ago, baldy said:

Promotion from Step 6 to Step 5: Application paperwork has been issued and must be returned to the FA by December 31st.

The current deadline for clubs at Step 6 to achieve Grade G remains as 31st March 2018 and clubs who do not hold a G Grade are reminded that relegation to Step 7 will follow at the end of the season irrespective of league position.

Priority of promotion to Step 6 remains as it is (1 per Division, top 3 finish etc) BUT Clubs in Step 7 who meet Grade H in full, or Grade H with planning permission for lights, may also be promoted to Step 6 at the end of this season on a points per game basis to fill vacancies caused by clubs being demoted. Clubs in East & West to apply as normal but should be made aware that for one season only they may be considered even if finishing lower in the table. Applications direct to the league by January 31st.

Whoever thinks up these sort of regulations ? It is only about a game of football after all !

You only have to look at the combo and eclp to see how many regulations are placed on junior clubs who want to get promoted and the higher up the structure you go the more expensive it gets. The Football Association need to wake up and realise that they are pricing clubs who have the playing standard from improving and moving up the leagues.I can Remember Falmouth, Liskeard and Saltash all playing Western league football and I for one struggle to see it happening again unless like Truro you get a sugar daddy

4 hours ago, baldy said:

The first para indicates that clubs who do not hold grade G will be relegated - I assume some may hold Grade H?

When you read the second para, it states that clubs with Grade H may fill vacancies of those demoted or are they Grade G once they move to Step 6.

So, do you have Grade H clubs passing each other on the way up and down - or - no Grade H clubs will be demoted from Step 6 ?

I appreciate this is a note of a meeting - but ......................??????????

2 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

So which SWPL Premier clubs do you think they are talking about? Who should not b up there due to the state of their ground?

Sad to say but I think Falmouth maybe amongst those with a problem. As of a few weeks ago I did not see that any work had started on their new ground. I believe there are many issues with Bickland Park that would need changing to bring to Grade G. This leaves the club between in the proverbial "rock and a hard place" situation. Do they spend what may be a substantial amount of money on gettng Bickland Park up to standard for maybe one more season before moving, or do they take the drop and save the money?  

A few weeks ago there was a comment about a possible temporary ground share with Penryn. Is their ground at Grade G standard?  

Could somebody from the Committee at Falmouth give us an update?

Newquay might also have a problem.  I see they have started a gofund me page looking to raise £20,000 for new toilets and lighting.  Unfortunately as of this morning only a tenner had been donated.

Before anybody starts having at go at the SWPL about this it is out of their hands.  Back in 2015 the FA surveyed all Step 6 clubs nationwide and found only 47% of them were in compliance with Grade G standard. As I undetstand it they gave all the leagues 2 years to get their clubs up to standard. This was well publicised on social media and by the SWPL.  Unfortunately thiose clubs in Step 6 not in compliance by March 31st 2018 will face the drop. This is nationwide not just the SWPL.  I have to say the allowance for clubs in the West and East who don't finish in the top 4 but are Grade H to still possibly get promoted is just bizarre. Maybe  it is a good time for the SWPL to consider reducing the Premier Division to 16 clubs. With an already crowded season losing 6 games may in fact be welcomed by many clubs.  

21 minutes ago, Roy of the Rovers said:

Sad to say but I think Falmouth maybe amongst those with a problem. As of a few weeks ago I did not see that any work had started on their new ground. I believe there are many issues with Bickland Park that would need changing to bring to Grade G. This leaves the club between in the proverbial "rock and a hard place" situation. Do they spend what may be a substantial amount of money on gettng Bickland Park up to standard for maybe one more season before moving, or do they take the drop and save the money?  

A few weeks ago there was a comment about a possible temporary ground share with Penryn. Is their ground at Grade G standard?  

Could somebody from the Committee at Falmouth give us an update?

Newquay might also have a problem.  I see they have started a gofund me page looking to raise £20,000 for new toilets and lighting.  Unfortunately as of this morning only a tenner had been donated.

Before anybody starts having at go at the SWPL about this it is out of their hands.  Back in 2015 the FA surveyed all Step 6 clubs nationwide and found only 47% of them were in compliance with Grade G standard. As I undetstand it they gave all the leagues 2 years to get their clubs up to standard. This was well publicised on social media and by the SWPL.  Unfortunately thiose clubs in Step 6 not in compliance by March 31st 2018 will face the drop. This is nationwide not just the SWPL.  I have to say the allowance for clubs in the West and East who don't finish in the top 4 but are Grade H to still possibly get promoted is just bizarre. Maybe  it is a good time for the SWPL to consider reducing the Premier Division to 16 clubs. With an already crowded season losing 6 games may in fact be welcomed by many clubs.  

It seems impossible to find out about the new ground etc, it seems to be a sworn secret !

I think the wording is clear enough. Yes Grade H clubs may well pass each other. Those forcibly demoted by their own hands. Those promoted because they have plans in place to achieve G within 2 years (I think that timescale is unchanged). The clubs will be aware of their situation. I assume Stoke Gabriel still don't have lights available as their KO is  2:15 on Sat.

Let's hope the Prem isn't destroyed!

Reducing to 16 teams would save 8 matches, not 6 (38 to 30).

20 minutes ago, baldy said:

I think the wording is clear enough. Yes Grade H clubs may well pass each other. Those forcibly demoted by their own hands. Those promoted because they have plans in place to achieve G within 2 years (I think that timescale is unchanged). The clubs will be aware of their situation. I assume Stoke Gabriel still don't have lights available as their KO is  2:15 on Sat.

Yes 8 games not 6. Could say it was a typo but have to be honest and indeed a mistake!  Thanks for correcting.

I agree that the wording is indeed very clear. However, what is bizarre and quite worrisome, is that we could end up with a club say finishing say 8th in one of the lower leagues replacing a club that finishes in the top 6 of the Premier. Starting to promote clubs based just on their facilities, over their abilities to competee on the actual field of play,  seems the start of a very slippery slope indeed.

I think having a smaller 16 team league, in which all the teams are competitive, is much better than having a 20 league team in which several teams are out of the depth on the field, even if they have floodlights and a nice covered stand! 

My guess is that few teams actually make much, if any, money from home games and what they do is swallowed up by the costs involved  in away games. Thus "the loss" of 8 games may have some significant financial upside as well.

The accelerated promotion is FOR ONE SEASON only, so no slippery slope. In fact, the same thing was threatened by the FA when the Cornwall/Devon reorg happened back in 2007 (I assume it would have been a national scheme) but they "bottled it" then, perhaps fearing the worst.

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

It seems impossible to find out about the new ground etc, it seems to be a sworn secret !

You were given the chance to have a personal meeting with the chairman at the clubhouse but you never turned up.likewise you could talk to him at any home game but you don't turn up .so stop whinging and grow up .

The last list of non-compliant Step 6 clubs I saw, from back in May, included

SWPP Callington Town
SWPP Falmouth Town
SWPP Launceston
SWPP Newquay
SWPP Saltash United

Phil H was confident that both Newquay and Saltah United had already done the necessary work and were merely awaiting a re-inspection and re-grading, but to balance that out, Godolphin Atlantic should have also been on the list at that time.

Three Western League D1 clubs are also on the list, Chard Town, Devizes Town and Radstock Town. Chard's problem is well known, it is the degree of slope on the pitch.

1 hour ago, baldy said:

The timescale for compliance has been just 1 year for quite a few seasons now. Currently 6 Cornish SWPL Prem Clubs are without a G Grade (1 in Devon). Some have minimal work to complete to get over the line, some a bit more. The affected Clubs are all fully aware of what is required and the League has been working with/ encouraging/giving advice to them for the past 2 years. Only time will tell !

38 minutes ago, mattelot said:

You were given the chance to have a personal meeting with the chairman at the clubhouse but you never turned up.likewise you could talk to him at any home game but you don't turn up .so stop whinging and grow up .

From the content of this posting, I can only imagine the reception that would greet me if I did attend.

15 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

From the content of this posting, I can only imagine the reception that would greet me if I did attend.

BIG AL, If you're afeared to go and see the big, bad, scary Chairman of Falmouth Town, I would be more than happy to come along and hold your hand! I look forward to a lovely day out (all expenses paid, of course!).

I am rubbish on things like this - but am  I correct that

SWPP Callington Town
SWPP Falmouth Town
SWPP Launceston
SWPP Newquay
SWPP Saltash United and                     SWPP Godolphin Atlantic

have until March next year to reach grading  otherwise they WILL BE relegated and at the moment  it appears that only Newquay and Saltash appear ‘ready’ - surely the others must have a plan??

Then, if Parkway get promotion ( which seems probable) - what happens to the SWPL Prem - how many will be relegated or how many can / will be promoted?? - certainly as far as the SWPL West is concerned, there cannot be many - any junior teams from the ECPL Prem and Combo who could take promotion?

There are 15 Div 1 teams that have floodlights (which has always been a major expense) but other things like hard standing are now causing a lot of expense (totally unnecessary in my opinion with such meagre crowds). It appears that Step 6 clubs are being screwed down tight but Step 7 requirements are much more lenient.

11 hours ago, Soccerkid said:

Totally agree Hetty if clubs already knew about this , they should have invested money in it rather than wasting it on average players, to gain effectively nothing.

'''Tis a difficult conundrum Soccerkid. We all know that there are somewhat less level 6 competent players than are needed to fill all the S.W.P.L. Premier Division squads. Therefore if you don't pay players at the going rate you end up with a squad of second or third rate players and end up relegated (albeit with a smart level seven standard ground that you spent all your pennies on) and if you do pay your players and avoid mandatory relegation, you get sent down anyway because you spent all the cash needed for upgrading, on players. For those without massive sponsorship deals or a sugar daddy all roads lead to oblivion.

8 minutes ago, Keith B said:

You're right Hetty. Of course many of the regulations are in line with Health & Safety requirements and therefore the clubs should, for insurance purposes, make sure certain works are carried out. However, I think that the FA need to take another look at some of the requirements. Eg - are floodlights really necessary at some levels - games can kick off earlier surely ? Car park surfacing (they don't like loose stones apparently) many clubs don't fulfill that requirement ? It's all about money, or the lack of it. The FA have loads of money  - however, they seem loath to part with it. This places a massive burden on clubs, especially the ''smaller'' ones.

This problem is similarly happening in cricket at the moment but looking at youth teams and ticking a few boxes.

2 hours ago, baldy said:

Just for clarity (and CTB?), the clubs demoted from Step 6 will go to Step 7, not out of the league.

A potential problem would be if relegations from Step 6 produced too many teams for Step 7 divisions. Div. 1 Clubs would then face relegation out of the NLS and with no promotion from feeder Leagues, they in turn could become "over-subscribed" in their top divisions. 

It's all about money, or the lack of it. The FA have loads of money  - however, they seem loath to part with it. This places a massive burden on clubs, especially the ''smaller'' ones.

Cannot agree with this statement. The FA Stadia Improvement Fund will financially support ground improvements to help clubs achieve required ground grading requirements with both CCFA and SWPL representatives on hand to help and support the application process. What's more clubs can apply for further funding every 5 years.

Acknowledge a percentage of match funding is required, however other outlets are available to help secure this rather than it specifically having to be funded by a respective club 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 18:06, BIG AL said:

Plans are what they are - it does not mean that work is in progress or likely to be.

Work is relatively advanced on the new pitch (I've seen it )

Grass is growing I'm told (have not seen this yet)

Planning to have a look this week after having a chat with the Falmouth chairman.

10 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Planning to have a look this week after having a chat with the Falmouth chairman.

Is it the large area adjacent to the road which is waterlogged where the bulldozer is parked ?

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:39, Bobjfh said:

I am rubbish on things like this - but am  I correct that

SWPP Callington Town
SWPP Falmouth Town
SWPP Launceston
SWPP Newquay
SWPP Saltash United and                     SWPP Godolphin Atlantic

have until March next year to reach grading  otherwise they WILL BE relegated and at the moment  it appears that only Newquay and Saltash appear ‘ready’ - surely the others must have a plan??

Then, if Parkway get promotion ( which seems probable) - what happens to the SWPL Prem - how many will be relegated or how many can / will be promoted?? - certainly as far as the SWPL West is concerned, there cannot be many - any junior teams from the ECPL Prem and Combo who could take promotion?

What is it exactly Launceston and Callington have to do.  Both seem to have pretty good setups at their grounds?

22 minutes ago, secretscout said:

What is it exactly Launceston and Callington have to do.  Both seem to have pretty good setups at their grounds?

I was also wondering the same as I've always rated both of their setups... probably something such as a sink in the referees room or something petty like that is required

4 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Is it the large area adjacent to the road which is waterlogged where the bulldozer is parked ?

I heard that there has been three pitches created on the old Budock Hospital site and the pitch on the 2nd tier would be the Falmouth Town one IF they can jump through the various hoops required.  I have also heard that this is FAR from being a done deal.  There is in fact an illustration in the reception area of the club house of the new ground. (Or there was a few weeks ago at least) and it all looks very good.

Fingers crossed it will all go ahead but nothing will ever beat Bickland Park!

4 hours ago, secretscout said:

We (CTFC) have to tarmac the area behind the goal at the changing room end (not cheap!). Works already done this season include; steps up to club house and path to clubhouse. Everything is in hand to be completed before the deadline.

3 hours ago, The Town Man said:

I heard that there has been three pitches created on the old Budock Hospital site and the pitch on the 2nd tier would be the Falmouth Town one IF they can jump through the various hoops required.  I have also heard that this is FAR from being a done deal.  There is in fact an illustration in the reception area of the club house of the new ground. (Or there was a few weeks ago at least) and it all looks very good.

Fingers crossed it will all go ahead but nothing will ever beat Bickland Park!

WHAT !!! a hole in the ground is being revered, funny old world.

You cannot see the new pitch from the road big Al, it's not the waterlogged bit at the top, I think that is going to be a small school pitch.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:56, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Popped out there today and the grass is growing... and at the 4 leaf stage.

A quick pace out gave me measurements of 68 mtrs by 105 mtrs,  and that was edge to edge, nowhere big enough for anything else to go there.

But, further infill was taking place as I was there, I'll leave it at that or I would be done for libel if I commented on what I looked at (!)

An awful lot to be done yet before any football will be played on that.

14 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Not sure about "intruiging", just makes common sense that if the ground is being shared with the school, you ain't going to be able to have beer there!

But a clubhouse not at the ground is never going to work.

20 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Thought you were a long time supporter of some 50 years standing .you don't remember when the clubhouse / social club was down Arwenack avenue then .

Yes and I also remember it at Chapel Terrace in Vernon Place. Certainly a long time supporter, probably longer than yourself !