Cornwall Football Forum
Dave Deacon

BOND TIMBER CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP - 2nd ROUND - Saturday October 28th 2017

1 hour ago, zebedee said:

Any score from Mariners v Wendron game ? 

St Ives Mariners 1 v Wendron United Res. 5

Again, no text to send in score? Result was emailed in from us. 

Wendron scorers: L Pawley(2), B Coleman(2) and T Orchard

Best of luck to Mariners for the season, thank you for the hospitality and cracking sausage and chips after the game! 

7 hours ago, Cornishfootball said:

4 penalties, 1 for Torpoint and 1 for St Annes in 1st half, then 2 for Torpoint in 2nd half for 9th and 10th goals

Torpoint didn't have a first half penalty, they did have a direct free kick from just outside the box.

22 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Sounds like a ref with a bit of common sense to me which sometimes is better than being a stickler for rule 13 b - x + 5 blah blah bullshit 

Maybe the most common sense decision would have been to play on then as it wasn’t deliberate. Unfortunately we have to referee within the laws with things which are there in black and white. 

I do agree though that common sense plays a big part in refereeing but that is for laws which have some sort of interpretation which in this case shouldn’t happen.

32 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Sounds like a ref with a bit of common sense to me which sometimes is better than being a stickler for rule 13 b - x + 5 blah blah bullshit 

Common sense has to prevail, of course. How many referees do you see cautioning a player for standing over the ball at a free kick? For kicking the ball away after the whistle has blown? for taking a step off the pitch to take on some fluids? These are all mandatory cautions, but many of us manage such situations unless they happen more than once [and] after you've previously given a player a talking to.

If a defending team player has deliberately used his hand(s) to prevent a goalscoring opportunity and the referee subsequently awards a penalty... The player (by law) has to be dismissed so as harsh as it sounds, @Laws of the Game does have a valid point.

I must admit though, I thought the same thing when I read the post about this because DOGSO(H) is a red card offence. However, I didn't comment on it because I wasn't there... And whenever I quote the law book, I get hounded :( :wacko:;):thumbsup:

@RAPPO I have a favour to ask of you by the way... I will give you a shout if a plan I have formulates :)

1 hour ago, Laws of the Game said:

You are entitled to that opinion. But if another referee next week correctly sends the player off then you shouldn’t bemoan them and say last weeks referee didn’t do that because this weeks referee is correct. 

If you were Ludgvan and with the sending off may have won the game would you be so calm?

The ones that I spoke with whilst waiting for the penalty agreed with the decision. 

7 minutes ago, B_D said:

Common sense has to prevail, of course. How many referees do you see cautioning a player for standing over the ball at a free kick? For kicking the ball away after the whistle has blown? for taking a step off the pitch to take on some fluids? These are all mandatory cautions, but many of us manage such situations unless they happen more than once [and] after you've previously given a player a talking to.

If a defending team player has deliberately used his hand(s) to prevent a goalscoring opportunity and the referee subsequently awards a penalty... The player (by law) has to be dismissed so as harsh as it sounds, @Laws of the Game does have a valid point.

I must admit though, I thought the same thing when I read the post about this because DOGSO(H) is a red card offence. However, I didn't comment on it because I wasn't there... And whenever I quote the law book, I get hounded :( :wacko:;):thumbsup:

@RAPPO I have a favour to ask of you by the way... I will give you a shout if a plan I have formulates :)

Is the rule now if a penalty is given a yellow card is sufficient due to double punishment of red and penalty?? 

22 minutes ago, YoungPercy said:

The ones that I spoke with whilst waiting for the penalty agreed with the decision. 

Is the rule now if a penalty is given a yellow card is sufficient due to double punishment of red and penalty?? 

Only if a definite play at the ball (tackle).

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off. A player, sent off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee’s permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence.

Yeah pleasure for you Dave just give me a shout mate 👍

On the pen subject I think if a player has made an honest attempt to block the shot and its hit his hand and the ref deems it a penalty then a pen and a yellow if you have to is punishment enough I think and common sense refereeing. If a defender dives full stretch across his goal line and tips a goal bound shot over the bar then that to me is a red card and a pen. Think the refs shouldn’t have the pressure of the laws rammed down their throat so much. I think the best refs I’ve come across over the last 40 odd seasons in football are ones that you can talk to and use common sense. Just an opinion really. Still shocked ABBA caused all that trouble yesterday though! Benny was a right nutter apparently!!! 😂

3 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah pleasure for you Dave just give me a shout mate 👍

On the pen subject I think if a player has made an honest attempt to block the shot and its hit his hand and the ref deems it a penalty then a pen and a yellow if you have to is punishment enough I think and common sense refereeing. If a defender dives full stretch across his goal line and tips a goal bound shot over the bar then that to me is a red card and a pen. Think the refs shouldn’t have the pressure of the laws rammed down their throat so much. I think the best refs I’ve come across over the last 40 odd seasons in football are ones that you can talk to and use common sense. Just an opinion really. Still shocked ABBA caused all that trouble yesterday though! Benny was a right nutter apparently!!! 😂

But the most common sense decision (as it was accidental) is to not give it and play on!

If a player goes to block a shot and is turning away say to protect his face but his hands are away from his body I can see why it’s still got to be given but not a red card. Don’t see why it has to be so black and white. Handball red card off. Accidental handball maybe, - nothing. Just let the refs use common sense. Can see what you’re saying though. I’ll agree to disagree Cos my steak and chips are on the table!!! 👍😀

20 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

If a player goes to block a shot and is turning away say to protect his face but his hands are away from his body I can see why it’s still got to be given but not a red card. Don’t see why it has to be so black and white. Handball red card off. Accidental handball maybe, - nothing. Just let the refs use common sense. Can see what you’re saying though. I’ll agree to disagree Cos my steak and chips are on the table!!! 👍😀

In this case it is more black and white. If deliberate then penalty and red, if not deliberate then play on!

Enjoy your tea!

Edited by Laws of the Game
Spelling and Grammar request from Elder-Many apologies.

41 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Completely agree. Actually think our ref handled it well

Yet again a thread for the JUNIOR CUP has turned in to an opportunity to slate the ref. Personally Jamie Mooney has always been spot in when he's reffed us used common sense and fair to both teams. 

9 hours ago, davegrose said:

Several goals this round,any thoughts on east or west this season as winners?im going for duchy over trelawny,biased as I'm in duchy I no lol

Penwith Exciles in with a shout from Trelawney 

35 minutes ago, Simon2389 said:

Yet again a thread for the JUNIOR CUP has turned in to an opportunity to slate the ref. Personally Jamie Mooney has always been spot in when he's reffed us used common sense and fair to both teams. 

However it was a fellow Referee who started it! 😎

5 hours ago, Simon2389 said:

After playing against and being beaten by Mousehole Reserves at the weekend, I would say they have a great shout.  You can see that they are well coached, drilled and have strength in all positions.  My feelings are that they would hold their own in the combo let alone the league above (Trelawney Prem).  Very guilty of not shooting when in great positions and over playing it but recycled play well when their attacks broke down.  

Must also add that the facilities down there now are looking fantastic.  

6 hours ago, GKBH said:

After playing against and being beaten by Mousehole Reserves at the weekend, I would say they have a great shout.  You can see that they are well coached, drilled and have strength in all positions.  My feelings are that they would hold their own in the combo let alone the league above (Trelawney Prem).  Very guilty of not shooting when in great positions and over playing it but recycled play well when their attacks broke down.  

Must also add that the facilities down there now are looking fantastic.  

Guilty of not shooting hopefully someone mentions to there manager they have a player in the 3rds called jowan may....who would shoot and score from anywhere! 😉😂 

12 hours ago, Simon2389 said:

Still convinced it will b a duchy side winning the cup,but as u no anything can happen in a cup game