Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL & FA Vase - Saturday October 28th 2017

6 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah I think I said I went to the game, so yeah I was actually there. Just my opinion Gareth Davies. I don’t really obviously know much about local football and bow to your greater knowledge by the sounds of it! Could have swore I saw Bodmin hit the post a couple times as well but sounds like they were outplayed! Maybe that bit was when I was getting a cup of tea? I’ll just have to look forward to hearing about Parkway beating Bodmin about 6 or 7-0 then by the sounds of it? Shame I was going to go thinking it might be a close game but might not bother now seeing Bodmin are that bad and Parkway that good.

Well said Mark. Just some fool trying to get a bait...both played enough football to know the end result is all that matters :thumbsup:

As far as us going to get beat....every other side has been beat there this season so if we did there would be no shame there Gareth Davies

15 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Well said Mark. Just some fool trying to get a bait...both played enough football to know the end result is all that matters :thumbsup:

As far as us going to get beat....every other side has been beat there this season so if we did there would be no shame there Gareth Davies

Some fool trying to get some bait? No, leedsunited, just calling it as I saw it.

I was covering the game for two different papers back in Dorset as that's where I am from originally.

Been in Cornwall for nearly a year now so slowly getting to know the set-up and I've been doing some freelance work, mainly for the St Austell Voice since the Spring.

If I'm up at Bodmin again covering either St Austell or Sticker then you must come and introduce yourself.

Here's the piece I did for the Bournemouth Daily Echo:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/15629299.Brown_proud_as_Swans__heroic_FA_Vase_run_comes_to_an_end/

7 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Some fool trying to get some bait? No, leedsunited, just calling it as I saw it.

I was covering the game for two different papers back in Dorset as that's where I am from originally.

Been in Cornwall for nearly a year now so slowly getting to know the set-up and I've been doing some freelance work, mainly for the St Austell Voice since the Spring.

If I'm up at Bodmin again covering either St Austell or Sticker then you must come and introduce yourself.

And in the unlikely event that he would blow his cover, how would he know who you are ?

Sounds like you’re from Dorset with that biased report!! Swanage came back into the game a bit second half but until that decent strike that took a huge deflection they didn’t look like scoring in my opinion. You failed to mention Carter hitting the post before Brokenshire scored with the next attack and Kelly had a goal disallowed for offside which looked on from where we were standing which would have made it 2-0. Two Swanage players framed up to each other as well and had to be spoken to by the ref which shows their frustration I think. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a Bodmin supporter and I’ve had my disagreements with Leeds in the past but I think you might need to take your rose tinted Dorset glasses off!! Voice is a great paper for Sport by the way but I think I’ll stick to reading Gareth Rowetts reports which are a bit more accurate than yours by the looks of it!

11 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Sounds like you’re from Dorset with that biased report!! Swanage came back into the game a bit second half but until that decent strike that took a huge deflection they didn’t look like scoring in my opinion. You failed to mention Carter hitting the post before Brokenshire scored with the next attack and Kelly had a goal disallowed for offside which looked on from where we were standing which would have made it 2-0. Two Swanage players framed up to each other as well and had to be spoken to by the ref which shows their frustration I think. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a Bodmin supporter and I’ve had my disagreements with Leeds in the past but I think you might need to take your rose tinted Dorset glasses off!! Voice is a great paper for Sport by the way but I think I’ll stick to reading Gareth Rowetts reports which are a bit more accurate than yours by the looks of it!

Hi 'Sticker Forever'! As I've mentioned in a previous post, I used to live in Dorset, but have been in Cornwall for nearly a year now.

Your're right, I did miss off the disallowed goal and the big lad hitting the post, but just like you, I also missed out the two one-on-ones missed by Swanage and the other couple of saves Draper made - one in each half.

The two Swanage players framing up? No, it was the referee talking to a player and the captain after a heavy tackle.

Thanks for the positive words re the Voice and I know GR looks at this forum. As I said to the other chap, next time I'm covering a Sticker match, you must pop by and introduce yourself! 

14 hours ago, mattelot said:

And in the unlikely event that he would blow his cover, how would he know who you are ?

There is a picture of him next to each of his posts, if you're using a tablet you can expand it to screen size. Failing that, I'm sure he'd be only too happy to wear a rose in his lapel and carry a copy of the Times ? ?❗️

Here's my profile photo chaps, just so you know who to look out for! I do quite a bit of media stuff for Bournemouth too and that is the real FL trophy I'm holding too at the club photocall day in 2015. 

IMG_0664.JPG

Just to add, here is the Bodmin report from last Saturday's cup game:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/bodmintownfootballclub/teams/160684/match-centre/0-3865872

And here's Swanage's which I wrote, but haven't been credited for yet!

http://www.swanagefc.com/news/heroic-swans-bow-out-of-vase-2054120.html

No it was about 20 to go, the biggish number 9 had a go at the winger, number 7? for not passing and he stuck up for himself and they ended up face to face for a few seconds, I was looking right at it after the ball went out for a corner. The ref called both players over for a word, they shook hands and he then spoke to the captain that’s a definite. As for the two one on ones I did see one so fair enough. Hope you enjoy your time in Cornwall just wouldn’t dig out respected clubs and people on here if you want to make friends, if not carry on ?

54 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

No it was about 20 to go, the biggish number 9 had a go at the winger, number 7? for not passing and he stuck up for himself and they ended up face to face for a few seconds, I was looking right at it after the ball went out for a corner. The ref called both players over for a word, they shook hands and he then spoke to the captain that’s a definite. As for the two one on ones I did see one so fair enough. Hope you enjoy your time in Cornwall just wouldn’t dig out respected clubs and people on here if you want to make friends, if not carry on ?

Dig out respected clubs and people? I'd like some evidence of that?

But I see what you're getting at, because Bodmin are a pecieved 'big club', you're not allowed to say when they've been lucky to win a Cup game? 

For me, football is all about opinions, not making friends - or at least that's the mantra I've always adopted.

That’s fine, you’re a reporter so you report what you see...or don’t see! I think “no wonder Bodmin looked devoid of any spirit and cohesion throughout the game” and “the players hardly spoke a word to each other in the clubhouse” and also “dreadful body language from the players at times and humiliating way the manager treats his players” is evidence enough that you’re having a little dig at Bodmin who have been the most successful club in the county over the last 15 years at least and along with St.Austell are still the biggest club in the county at the moment. To say Darren Gilbert humiliates his players is a disgrace, he’s one of the most decorated footballers in Cornish football and has taken that into management probably winning even more! To say the players don’t speak to each other, devoid of any spirit, and dreadful body language is an insult to the likes of Bodmin captain Jake Ash who won the FA Vase at Wembley with Truro City and never gives less than 100% in any game I’ve ever seen him play. And to ask Rappo if he was actually “at the game” was a bit condescending. The bloke has won that league about half a dozen times, been top goalscorer in it several times and scored over 2000 career goals! You’ve managed to offend three of Cornwall’s best footballers over the last 25 years and one of its top clubs!! Might be worth doing your homework before you talk crap next time or report on teams up Dorset where you might know something about them? Bit of lazy journalism I think! By the way have you ever played football at all? 

I think there is some evidence of bias in both protagonists. Gareth like any regional journalist is playing to his audience as he should if he wants to keep his job. Sticker Forever is clearly a passionate Cornishman (is there any other type?) although perhaps a touch "over the top", I don't think Darren Gilbert is likely to be canonised for his saintly ways any time soon. But each to their own opinions, we wouldn't have this lively forum otherwise.

Yeah no offence taken Bruegel!!! ? Football a wonderful game of opinions!! Thank god for Daves forum! Wouldn’t have thought Ashey or Gilbey will lose too much sleep over it either!! ? Gareth is entitled to his opinion on Cornish football but can’t help thinking from his photo he is Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle!!! “What’s your story wee man”? ?

47 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah no offence taken Bruegel!!! ? Football a wonderful game of opinions!! Thank god for Daves forum! Wouldn’t have thought Ashey or Gilbey will lose too much sleep over it either!! ? Gareth is entitled to his opinion on Cornish football but can’t help thinking from his photo he is Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle!!! “What’s your story wee man”? ?

I'm not sure whether to be offended or not with the Frankie Boyle quip?!? ?

59 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I think there is some evidence of bias in both protagonists. Gareth like any regional journalist is playing to his audience as he should if he wants to keep his job. Sticker Forever is clearly a passionate Cornishman (is there any other type?) although perhaps a touch "over the top", I don't think Darren Gilbert is likely to be canonised for his saintly ways any time soon. But each to their own opinions, we wouldn't have this lively forum otherwise.

Well said. ??

1 hour ago, Sticker Forever said:

That’s fine, you’re a reporter so you report what you see...or don’t see! I think “no wonder Bodmin looked devoid of any spirit and cohesion throughout the game” and “the players hardly spoke a word to each other in the clubhouse” and also “dreadful body language from the players at times and humiliating way the manager treats his players” is evidence enough that you’re having a little dig at Bodmin who have been the most successful club in the county over the last 15 years at least and along with St.Austell are still the biggest club in the county at the moment. To say Darren Gilbert humiliates his players is a disgrace, he’s one of the most decorated footballers in Cornish football and has taken that into management probably winning even more! To say the players don’t speak to each other, devoid of any spirit, and dreadful body language is an insult to the likes of Bodmin captain Jake Ash who won the FA Vase at Wembley with Truro City and never gives less than 100% in any game I’ve ever seen him play. And to ask Rappo if he was actually “at the game” was a bit condescending. The bloke has won that league about half a dozen times, been top goalscorer in it several times and scored over 2000 career goals! You’ve managed to offend three of Cornwall’s best footballers over the last 25 years and one of its top clubs!! Might be worth doing your homework before you talk crap next time or report on teams up Dorset where you might know something about them? Bit of lazy journalism I think! By the way have you ever played football at all? 

As I said SF, I'll continue to call it as I see it. If that upsets you or any of Cornwall's finest, then so be it.

I 100% stand by any comments I have made and continue to make.