Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth v Saltash

Im staying down Sennen for a few days and thought id pop across to watch this one tonight. Falmouth really emerging as one of the leagues top sides again. The manager has slowly but surely built a good side. As for Saltash they havent really hit the heights of last season yet but are still 4th so that could be dangerous for the other teams around them. 

Falmouth are good against teams below them but fold against decent teams although they were unlucky against Argyle. Against Tavistock and Saltash, they have scored none and conceded ten in two games. I hope they can get something from tonight's game but I don't think they will.

Saltash will be formidable opponents have had the better of SWPL exchanges over the 10 years of Peninsula football--Winning 12 -Drawing 2 - Losing 5 GD.45--18  and Falmouth not scoring in their last three encounters.

According to press reports -The Ashes will have a full squad to select from which includes the return of strikers Lee Phillips and Ryan Richards.

Falmouth also welcome back last seasons top scorer Rob Wearne  from AFC St.Austell to team up with on form Jordan Annear.

Jordan has now scored successively on HIS last  eight games for Falmouth.

I am expecting a few goals at Bickland Park tonight.

Goals there are--Half time 2--2

15m. 1--0  Jordan Annear

16m.1--1  Ryan Richards

32m 1--2 Sam Farrant

34m. 2--2 Jordan Annear

--------------------------------------------------------------------

46m.3--2 Jordan Annear Pen. (hat trick)

69m. 4--2 Joe Cooper (C)

90m 4--3 Lee Phillips

Falmouth leapfrog Saltash into 4th position

Jordan Annear scores on HIS 9th.consecutive game overtaking Tony Kellow -now 7th.on the all time listing.

Jordan will be under contract by the morning LOL

details copied from Matt Friday (Falmouth Packet) twitter

9 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Falmouth are good against teams below them but fold against decent teams although they were unlucky against Argyle. Against Tavistock and Saltash, they have scored none and conceded ten in two games. I hope they can get something from tonight's game but I don't think they will.

Town are now running out of teams above them , relegation they said , not good enough they said! ???

Down in Truro for a few days, so thought i would take in this interesting encounter and wasn't disappointed. Without any doubt, Town fully deserved all three points. Saltash are a shadow of last season and on this performance must take a serious look at themselves. The defence is a shambles and their number 10 Richards must be on a serious scoring bonus, as greedy is a understatement.

5 minutes ago, pastyman said:

Just returned home from the match and have to agree, not a "good day at the office" for "the ashes". 

Whatever has changed at Falmouth Town, they are much improved on last season

Penryn have changed Falmouth with 10 previous Rynners in the squad.

And a good game to watch I must say, Saltash could have been 3 up in the first 15 minutes, but, they did not take those chances.

Even teams in the first half, a good 20 minutes from Saltash at the start of the second half, but Falmouth (Penryn) took over for the rest of the second half with some tidy football.

At  the end a well deserved win for Falpen in perfect football conditions .....well done from me.

2 hours ago, Harry P said:

Town are now running out of teams above them , relegation they said , not good enough they said! ???

I have eaten my hat and must apologise to Falmouth. I have been proved wrong and by all accounts the team played well and deservedly won. If I had a hat left I would take it off to Andy Westgarth and his team, especially after the walloping on the opening day. A corner well and truly turned....

7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Penryn have changed Falmouth with 10 previous Rynners in the squad.

And a good game to watch I must say, Saltash could have been 3 up in the first 15 minutes, but, they did not take those chances.

Even teams in the first half, a good 20 minutes from Saltash at the start of the second half, but Falmouth (Penryn) took over for the rest of the second half with some tidy football.

At  the end a well deserved win for Falpen in perfect football conditions .....well done from me.

....and it was those rynners who were meant to be not good enough at this level ! Just needed a chance to prove themselves, which was never going to happen up the road ! 

1 hour ago, Harry P said:

....and it was those rynners who were meant to be not good enough at this level ! Just needed a chance to prove themselves, which was never going to happen up the road ! 

You have to ask the question why did they leave Penryn?

Might it possibly be a combination of the players showing some ambition and wanting to test themselves and perhaps lack of ambition from the club?

8 hours ago, Fanfare said:

I have eaten my hat and must apologise to Falmouth. I have been proved wrong and by all accounts the team played well and deservedly won. If I had a hat left I would take it off to Andy Westgarth and his team, especially after the walloping on the opening day. A corner well and truly turned....

Are you big Al in disguise by any chance fanfare ? 

40 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Might it possibly be a combination of the players showing some ambition and wanting to test themselves and perhaps lack of ambition from the club?

Penryn with a population of less than 7,000 , how much ambition can you seriously have?  A little unfair to use that as a reason for players leaving! Sadly, money "talks" and there are players who will leave a club for that extra fiver.

Wednesday 25th October 2017

Saltash v Falmouth Town (away) SWPL (Premier Division)

Saltash United line-up:Ryan Rickard,Paul Heveran,Callum Martindale,Callum O'Brien,Danny Lewis(c),Dave Barker,

Henry Wilson,Sam Farrant,Lee Phillips,Ryan Richards,

Tom king.

Subs used:Jamie Bass for Tom King (55 mins),

Lewis Young for Henry Wilson(55 mins),

Steve Sargison for Callum Martindale(61 mins)

Unused subs:Sam Leary & Sam Hughes.

Bookings:Bass & Young.

Result:Falmouth Town 4 Saltash United 3

Scorers:Richards(16 mins9,Farrant(32 mins) &    

Phillips (90 mins).

Referee:Mark Carroll.

The match got off to a good start for the Ashes and after 8 minutes they could have gone ahead when Ryan Richards had a 1 on 1 with the Falmouth keeper who saves with his legs and from the follow-up Tom King's shot hit the side netting.On 15 minutes Falmouth had a free-kick wide on the right which was swung over to the far post for a player to head back across goal for the unmarked Jordan Annear to score from close range.The Ashes were back on level terms within a minute when a long ball was chased down by Richards who made no mistake.The Ashes took the lead on 32 minutes when a ball down the left found Richards who played it inside to Sam Farrant who scored with a deflected shot.

Back came Falmouth and 2 minutes later it was 2-2 when a poor ball from the Ashes was intercepted which gave Annear an easy chance to score his second of the game.

The match was held up for close on 30 minutes at half-time when the referee could not continue because of an injury and we had to wait for a replacement to arrive.

After just 1 minute of the second half Falmouth were awarded a penalty which Annear scored from the spot to give him his hat-trick and his team the lead.With just 20 minutes remaining Falmouth increased their lead when Cooper headed home completely unmarked from a corner on the right.

The Ashes were given a lifeline on 90 minutes when a poor clearance from the Falmouth keeper fell to Richards who squared the ball for Lee Phillips to score.

A very poor second half from the Ashes whose defending was

none existant at times and they gave away to many free-kicks.

Great game to watch. I was massively impressed with the fitness levels of Town. It was the obvious thing that would help transform their performances and last night and they chased lost causes, closed down players quickly, ran all night long and took their chances. Good win as Saltash are no mugs and will do well this year. 

13 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Bit of fishing there Dave ...nice one ..lol

The boys just wanted to test themselves at a higher level, and good on them for that.

Ambition to move up to the money league .......NAH!!! not really, geographically in the wrong place methinks.

And as for them moving for an extra fiver ...lol, that would be five pounds ore than they ever got at Penryn.

They served us well, and stayed longer than we ever expected, so now I go to watch Falpen as well as Penryn.

Tight lines.

7 hours ago, pastyman said:

Wednesday 25th October 2017

Saltash v Falmouth Town (away) SWPL (Premier Division)

Saltash United line-up:Ryan Rickard,Paul Heveran,Callum Martindale,Callum O'Brien,Danny Lewis(c),Dave Barker,

Henry Wilson,Sam Farrant,Lee Phillips,Ryan Richards,

Tom king.

Subs used:Jamie Bass for Tom King (55 mins),

Lewis Young for Henry Wilson(55 mins),

Steve Sargison for Callum Martindale(61 mins)

Unused subs:Sam Leary & Sam Hughes.

Bookings:Bass & Young.

Result:Falmouth Town 4 Saltash United 3

Scorers:Richards(16 mins9,Farrant(32 mins) &    

Phillips (90 mins).

Referee:Mark Carroll.

The match got off to a good start for the Ashes and after 8 minutes they could have gone ahead when Ryan Richards had a 1 on 1 with the Falmouth keeper who saves with his legs and from the follow-up Tom King's shot hit the side netting.On 15 minutes Falmouth had a free-kick wide on the right which was swung over to the far post for a player to head back across goal for the unmarked Jordan Annear to score from close range.The Ashes were back on level terms within a minute when a long ball was chased down by Richards who made no mistake.The Ashes took the lead on 32 minutes when a ball down the left found Richards who played it inside to Sam Farrant who scored with a deflected shot.

Back came Falmouth and 2 minutes later it was 2-2 when a poor ball from the Ashes was intercepted which gave Annear an easy chance to score his second of the game.

The match was held up for close on 30 minutes at half-time when the referee could not continue because of an injury and we had to wait for a replacement to arrive.

After just 1 minute of the second half Falmouth were awarded a penalty which Annear scored from the spot to give him his hat-trick and his team the lead.With just 20 minutes remaining Falmouth increased their lead when Cooper headed home completely unmarked from a corner on the right.

The Ashes were given a lifeline on 90 minutes when a poor clearance from the Falmouth keeper fell to Richards who squared the ball for Lee Phillips to score.

A very poor second half from the Ashes whose defending was

none existant at times and they gave away to many free-kicks.

Who was the replacement?

3 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Hmmm, let me just look at the table, Falmouth fourth, 28 points, Tavistock 3rd also 28 points, Bodmin 14th with eleven points. Admittedly both of the latter have games in hand (3 & 6 respectively), but who's to say that they'll win them!

Not trying to disrespect Falmouth but im looking at it from the lads point of view, hes one of the best strikers in the league, especially given his age. Rocky Neal was grabbed by Truro after scoring a few goals in this league, whats to say Annear wont be looked at by Truro?

28 minutes ago, SCFC said:

Not trying to disrespect Falmouth but im looking at it from the lads point of view, hes one of the best strikers in the league, especially given his age. Rocky Neal was grabbed by Truro after scoring a few goals in this league, whats to say Annear wont be looked at by Truro?

He is not that good and is only swpl standard.

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

The hometown of his father and grandfather (Trelander Boys) Mmmm interesting point, another Cornish lad in the team that would be a bonus. Hope his temperment is better than the other young lad we signed from Helston. 

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:41, Mike Odgers said:

Goals there are--Half time 2--2

15m. 1--0  Jordan Annear

16m.1--1  Ryan Richards

32m 1--2 Sam Farrant

34m. 2--2 Jordan Annear

--------------------------------------------------------------------

46m.3--2 Jordan Annear Pen. (hat trick)

69m. 4--2 Joe Cooper (C)

90m 4--3 Lee Phillips

Falmouth leapfrog Saltash into 4th position

Jordan Annear scores on HIS 9th.consecutive game overtaking Tony Kellow -now 7th.on the all time listing.

Jordan will be under contract by the morning LOL

details copied from Matt Friday (Falmouth Packet) twitter

Maybe your LOL comment should be taken a little more seriously Mike.  If our much-loved neighbours from up the road start sniffing around we should at least make a killing from the situation.

With regards to Jordan going to a bigger team...Why would any of the Falmouth team look to move at the moment.  They are a side on the up with surely one of the youngest squads in the league. (5 players selected for the postponed Cornwall youth game last weekend) They must know that if they stick around the trophies may well come.

Up the Town!!

8 hours ago, SCFC said:

Not in the same league as Rocky, Carts, Hobbo, Liam Eddy etc.... not even close

16 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Not in the same league as Rocky, Carts, Hobbo, Liam Eddy etc.... not even close

15 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Must certainly agree with that.I would  also say.not in the same league as Harry Evans.

Well, technically he is, the S.W.P.League. However definitely not in the same league as Harry Kane (yet). However still a fine young player with plenty of time to improve.