Cornwall Football Forum

FA VASE 2nd Rd Draw for games 11th November 2017

4 hours ago, gingerninja said:

That's one long trek for Tavistock! 

Not a bad Day out to Southampton (150miles)-Tavistock have travelled further in the Vase Pickering (Yorkshire),Deal (Kent) and Kidlington (Oxfordshire).

I think Bodmin and Porthleven have been way up North also and of course Falmouth "Double Decked" to Northumberland to play Bedlington.

Clubs thrive on these occasions of adventure and bear in mind there are some SWPL  fixtures over 100 miles.

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Not a bad Day out to Southampton (150miles)-Tavistock have travelled further in the Vase Pickering (Yorkshire),Deal (Kent) and Kidlington (Oxfordshire).

I think Bodmin and Porthleven have been way up North also and of course Falmouth "Double Decked" to Northumberland to play Bedlington.

Clubs thrive on these occasions of adventure and bear in mind there are some SWPL  fixtures over 100 miles.

Yes - Tavy to Southampton OK

In St Austell's epic season we went to Folland Sports in Southampton, Dartford and Glossop...best part of 7 hour coach trip each way! Wouldn't have missed those trips for anything - never moan about the travel, great fun and memories (hopefully to be repeated again one day!!)

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Welcome aboard Gareth. I didn't realise Swanage were a Step 7 side in the Dorset Premier League until I checked yesterday to see what league you're in.

Thanks Dave. I've been living in Cornwall for nearly a year now - I'm the 'other' Gareth from the St Austell Voice!

I grew up in Swanage and my father was heavily involved during the club's halycon days of the '80s when they were a Western Premier side.

Naturally I followed in Dad's footsteps and before moving down here, I fulfilled just about every role imaginable at Day's Park!

It's a tremendous achievement for Swanage, as a Step Seven club to get the First Round of the Vase. They have already bundled out two sides from Step Six, but Bodmin will a tough ask, especially given the fact Swans will be missing at least three key players for the game on Saturday.

It was such a shame that the game last week was postponed as most of the club officials stayed at my Guest House (I own one in Mevagissey, journalism is just a hobby really) and a number of the players, due to the generosity of the club sponsors, travelled up on the Friday and stayed in the Cornwall Hotel and Spa near St Austell. 

The FA did try and insist that the game must take place by this coming Thursday, but the club, with the backing from Bodmin, the DPL and the SWPL successfully applied to the FA for the game to be played on a Saturday.

Looking forward to the game and although Bodmin go in as firm favourites, Swanage won't be easy pushovers and if they win, it will rank as one of the greatest ever achievements in the club's history.