Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall County Youth squad to play Somerset - Saturday, October 21st 2017

Dave Deacon

Glynn Hooper has announced an 18-man squad for his first Cornwall County Youth match of the season at Saltash on Saturday against Somerset, in the South West Counties Championship.

Somerset were the only county to beat Cornwall last season in this competition!

Please note that if a player cannot attend, please let Glynn know as soon as possible, in fact sooner than that - NOW! Also, if a club has a problem with one of their players being selected - why not have a chat with Glynn. He's been a club manager in the past and appreciates the issues and will try and work a solution for all concerned.

The last thing we need is dialogue going on Friday evening, as believe me, this has happened in the past! IF YOU CAN'T PLAY, DON'T WANT TO PLAY OR YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU - just say so, it'll make it a lot easier for everyone.

South West Counties Youth Championship

Cornwall FA U18’s v Somerset FA U18’s

Saturday 21st October 2017

Saltash United

Kick-off: 2.00pm

Adam Dower (Falmouth Town)

Alfie Flack (AFC St Austell)

Archie Friar (Falmouth Town)

Archie Condie (West Cornwall)

Gabe Hamshaw (AFC St Austell)

George Marris (AFC St Austell)

George Tucker (Penzance)

Jack Webber (Falmouth Town)

James Lorenz (Liskeard Athletic)

Josh Otto (Mousehole)

Luke Gwillam (Camelford)

Mason Long (Saltash Utd)

Max Armstrong (Penzance)

Max Gilbert (Bodmin Town)

Max Everard (Newquay)

Oliver Walker (Falmouth Town)

Tiago Soares (Godolphin Atlantic)

Will Trew (Falmouth Town)

Best of luck to the youngsters, I see that Falmouth and St. Austell are particularly well represented (5&3 respectively), maybe we should emulate our professional colleagues and have an intercounties break for the senior leagues for the weekend. I know it makes little sense, about as much as the international break does for the Premiership and Championship!

25 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Best of luck to the youngsters, I see that Falmouth and St. Austell are particularly well represented (5&3 respectively), maybe we should emulate our professional colleagues and have an intercounties break for the senior leagues for the weekend. I know it makes little sense, about as much as the international break does for the Premiership and Championship!

The players from Falmouth and St Austell are, I believe mainly Reserve team players from the Combo and ECPL, so they may allow postponements - you can forget it for SWPL players - last season Camelford had 6 first team players and the league wouldn't even allow them to postpone!!

Good luck to the lads - some great additions to those remaining from last season

On 16/10/2017 at 14:39, Bobjfh said:

The players from Falmouth and St Austell are, I believe mainly Reserve team players from the Combo and ECPL, so they may allow postponements - you can forget it for SWPL players - last season Camelford had 6 first team players and the league wouldn't even allow them to postpone!!

Good luck to the lads - some great additions to those remaining from last season

All Falmouth town players are 1st team except keeper Adam dower!

Is it any wonder then that some managers might be tempted to encourage players to be unavailable for County matches. Certainly some of the youth squad must find it difficult if their loyalties to club and county are being tested.

Surely nowadays leagues and County F.A.'s should be able to work together for the good of the game and indeed, the players.