Cornwall Football Forum

The Sin-Bin so far?

From the junior games I have seen many referees are either reluctant to use it because of the hassle that comes with it (keeping track of the 10 mins etc) , or just don't use it because they haven't got the will power to do so. Some of the displays of dissent have been boardering red cards and still they just get a telling off, what's the point? If one doesn't do it one week but another does the following that's where the men in black lose all credibility. I realise each officials tolerance levels will differ, but a swear word directed at an official (or assistant) is still a swear word regardless of who the referee is, that's where the problem is!

3 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Forgive me if it has been mentioned already but the sin bin is for dissent only. Can a player still be sent off for dissent?

Yeah, 2 sin bins and he cant come back on but can be subbed. Theres a chart available with a list of combinations of sin bins / yellow cards and the punishments. 

Nearli every Time i have seen this stupid rule used against us and against an opposition side! It is for appealing not an aggressive or foul word used just appealing for a foul!!! That to me is not dissent does the fa want both teams to be totally silent alll game!! It also shows alot wen itll never be used at senior level!!! Load of rubbish if u ask me!! Saw a player get hacked out asked the ref isnt that a foul got sinn binned for dissent ??? an gt the free kick 

I think the majority of the officials are against this also by the way, which isn't going to help things! I'd love to see some stats on how many cautions / reds there were this time last year for dissent and how many there are this year? I take it you can still get a caution for dissent (even a sin bin is reported correct big hairy Dave?)

4 hours ago, Sijames said:

I think the majority of the officials are against this also by the way, which isn't going to help things! I'd love to see some stats on how many cautions / reds there were this time last year for dissent and how many there are this year? I take it you can still get a caution for dissent (even a sin bin is reported correct big hairy Dave?)

Correct, they are still logged on Whole Game and as Dave Deacon states they count towards the 5/10/15 cards for suspensions.

Personally as a ref I think it's a good tool to have if used appropriately. So far I have only had to use it once when a player implied that I wanted the other team to win. This was just before half time and in the second half I had no further issues from any players from either side. Yes we all have our tolerance levels but as we are all individuals consistency will be difficult.

I’ve only seen it used once where a referee was letting tackles flying 2 footed and everything  in with his response being as long as there is no contact it’s not a foul which he then lost control of the game and then decided sin binning someone would be the best way to re-control it 

Most referees will try to deal with dissent ( which is the only offence that a player can be Sin Binned for) by a quiet word first and if the player doesn't listen then bye bye for 10 minutes playing time. Amazing how fast some mangers watches must work. Watched 2 games where players were binned and managers were shouting after 4 mins that players should be allowed back on. More education needed or extend it to Mangers etc, 10 mins outside the dugout when your teams losing? 

One solution, and may be absolute rubbish, but give both managers a stopwatch each. Tell them to start the clock on the refs signal. Once the 10 minutes are up the manager can inform the ref. It's clear for everyone to see.and it's impossible to cheat, as you can't speed up time!! The ref can walk the player to the dugout area and check the clock isn't already running! No more daft shouts from managers after 4 minutes!!

Problem with that is that the time starts as soon as the play restarts after the Temporary Dismissal. It then stops during breaks in play and restarts again when play restarts (where the referee would usually stop his/her watch to add additional time)... it’s practically ten minutes playing time, not ten minutes game time (if you get me). I think it would be difficult for managers to have enough discipline to time it correctly; their time would also differ from the referees.

Personally, I have only officiated In two games in Trelawny this season (but watched a few more). I’m of the opinion that the TD system has had a positive effect. There was always going to be teething problems, particularly with the fact that the first time referees were actually able to use this system was in proper competition games. It would have been more beneficial for them/us to use it in pre season to get to grips with the process. There has been a bit of confusion so far this season but that was always going to happen.

As we progress through this season and head on into next season, this procedure should be well practised and well understood. 

On 21/10/2017 at 22:27, B_D said:

Problem with that is that the time starts as soon as the play restarts after the Temporary Dismissal. It then stops at every break and restarts again when play restarts (where the referee would usually stop his/her watch to add additional time)... it’s practically ten minutes playing time, not ten minutes game time (if you get me). I think it would be difficult for managers to have enough discipline to time it correctly; their time would also differ from the referees.

Personally, I have only officiated In two games in Trelawny this season (but watched a few more). I’m of the opinion that the TD system has had a positive effect. There was always going to be teething problems, particularly with the fact that the first time referees were actually able to use this system was in proper competition games. It would have been more beneficial for them/us to use it in pre season to get to grips with the process. There has been a bit of confusion so far this season but that was always going to happen.

As we progress through this season and head on into next season, this procedure should be well practised and well understood. 

Do you stop your watch every time the ball goes out of play and then add the time at the end of the match?

10 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Do you stop your watch every time the ball goes out of play and then add the time at the end of the match?

"(where the referee would usually stop his/her watch to add additional time)" So, substitutions, injuries, cautions/dismissals, prolonged stoppages (lost ball etc). You wouldn't stop the watch at every break in play (which is why I put this part in brackets). I've removed the word "every" in my previous post to avoid confusion