Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Wednesday 4th October 2017

Camelford 3 v 3  Sticker

Watched this as my two favourite teams and you won't see many stranger games this season. First half was a very even affair, both teams were not at their best (by a long way) - Camels started well and for the first 15 were well on top. Sticker grew into the game and had the second 15 - Jack Bowyer netting his first,  some very poor defending gifting him an unmarked back post header. Last 10 of first half was fairly even. 

Second half got underway and Sticker were showing a real intent - Camels were very lack lustre. First turning point was a very strange penalty decision for Sticker - no one saw it other than the ref ( the linesman who was feet away saw NO foul but no one asked him) - JB steps up and gets his second.  Shortly followed by his third - another goal when rather than clear the ball Camels messed around! Game over - or NOT. Sticker made some subs and started defending a lead. Second changing point Joel C stupidly kicked the ball away,  whilst on a yellow and got his marching orders    (hate seeing a player sent off for this but was just so daft - real shame as nice guy).

Suddenly Camels woke up - 15 minutes to go Bobby H scored a trademark free kick. Five minutes later Charlie Hambly scored a cracking volley followed by a second Bobby H ''Worldy'- last 5/10 minutes was all Camels who had a few chances to win the game. 

All in all, neither team were great, Sticker did not deserve to be 3-0 up, but once there will feel gutted to only get one point - probably hurts more than the Tavvy game.  As a spectator - worth the fiver (in the end)

20 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Camelford 3 v 3  Sticker

Watched this as my two favourite teams and you won't see many stranger games this season. First half was a very even affair, both teams were not at their best (by a long way) - Camels started well and for the first 15 were well on top. Sticker grew into the game and had the second 15 - Jack Bowyer netting his first,  some very poor defending gifting him an unmarked back post header. Last 10 of first half was fairly even. 

Second half got underway and Sticker were showing a real intent - Camels were very lack lustre. First turning point was a very strange penalty decision for Sticker - no one saw it other than the ref ( the linesman who was feet away saw NO foul but no one asked him) - JB steps up and gets his second.  Shortly followed by his third - another goal when rather than clear the ball Camels messed around! Game over - or NOT. Sticker made some subs and started defending a lead. Second changing point Joel C stupidly kicked the ball away,  whilst on a yellow and got his marching orders    (hate seeing a player sent off for this but was just so daft - real shame as nice guy).

Suddenly Camels woke up - 15 minutes to go Bobby H scored a trademark free kick. Five minutes later Charlie Hambly scored a cracking volley followed by a second Bobby H ''Worldy'- last 5/10 minutes was all Camels who had a few chances to win the game. 

All in all, neither team were great, Sticker did not deserve to be 3-0 up, but once there will feel gutted to only get one point - probably hurts more than the Tavvy game.  As a spectator - worth the fiver (in the end)

Good write up Bobjfh and if Sticker hadn't made substitutions would they have won? Would the subbed players been able to continue in holding onto the lead?. Last season Gary Whielden got them all very fit and this proved the real difference in overcoming the teams in the West division. Also don't forget this is a big learning curve for the club, team and mangers and playing against some fitter, better and better paid players! We have Argyle next Monday that should be interesting! Also Parkway at a later date! Alas I missed the Tavistock game but I bet all the players were gutted. But I think they will be glad that they got a point last night in the end as they could have easily lost the game. I agree Joel was silly getting sent off for kicking the ball away. Are you going to our first floodlit match? If so look me up I am on the committee! Ray Cackett 

Ray - wouldn't miss Monday, should be a great night for Sticker and Mid Cornwall football.

I don't think the subs had a lot to do with the final outcome - the lads who came on were good players, or to be fair Joel being sent off.

If I were perfectly honest, I would simply put it down to the players on the field for Sticker feeling the game was over and trying to defend a lead. Every team in the Prem have player(s) who can change a game in seconds - your managers know that, but as soon as Camelford got a sniff you could see Sticker start to 'panic' (no disrespect at all) - Sticker are a decent team and all I would say about them is to believe in themselves a bit more - stop giving teams too much respect. Camelford are used to being behind in games, but it doesn't phase them, they carry on and enjoy themselves, win loose or draw - Sticker should do the same - like Sticker, Camelford players are loyal and turn down offers from 'bigger clubs'; paid nowhere near what some other teams pay and play for the enjoyment with their mates, they are also the last to leave the bar at any club they play!!

Camels took points off Argyle and so can Sticker (I think Parkway is a big ask for everyone on the league).

12 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Ray - wouldn't miss Monday, should be a great night for Sticker and Mid Cornwall football.

I don't think the subs had a lot to do with the final outcome - the lads who came on were good players, or to be fair Joel being sent off.

If I were perfectly honest, I would simply put it down to the players on the field for Sticker feeling the game was over and trying to defend a lead. Every team in the Prem have player(s) who can change a game in seconds - your managers know that, but as soon as Camelford got a sniff you could see Sticker start to 'panic' (no disrespect at all) - Sticker are a decent team and all I would say about them is to believe in themselves a bit more - stop giving teams too much respect. Camelford are used to being behind in games, but it doesn't phase them, they carry on and enjoy themselves, win loose or draw - Sticker should do the same - like Sticker, Camelford players are loyal and turn down offers from 'bigger clubs'; paid nowhere near what some other teams pay and play for the enjoyment with their mates, they are also the last to leave the bar at any club they play!!

Camels took points off Argyle and so can Sticker (I think Parkway is a big ask for everyone on the league).

I felt that the subs were well used, Bowyer had run himself into the ground and so fresh legs were brought on. Wouldnt say its anything to do with fitness or anything like that but hes worked hard all night. Also think you're missing the fact the chap scored a cracking free kick along with an absolute worldie. On another day, both fly over the bar and Sticker win 3-1 and we're all saying what a good performance it was

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

SCFC - I never suggested it was anything to do with the subs or fitness, the opposite. My point to Ray was simply that Sticker need a bit more self belief when things start going against them - it's going to happen a lot more this season. 

Sorry Bob, didnt want you to think my post was aimed at you, as you've not questioned fitness once. I was just adding to it, as Ray had questioned the substitutions

9 hours ago, SCFC said:

Sorry Bob, didnt want you to think my post was aimed at you, as you've not questioned fitness once. I was just adding to it, as Ray had questioned the substitutions

The reason I questioned the substitutions was sometimes it effects the dynamics of the team and I just wondered if this was the case but both you and Bob have answered this for me. ( I wasn't at the match).