Falmouth Town P-P Plymouth Parkway 
Helston Athletic 2, St Austell 4 
Newquay 3, Callington Town 1 

DIVISION ONE EAST 
Newton Abbot Spurs 1, Liverton United 0 

DIVISION ONE WEST 
Plymouth Marjon 4, Bude Town 1
Wadebridge Town 1, Mousehole 3

The groundsman at Bickland Park pleaded with the referee on Saturday not to play the Combination League game as the forecast was for more rain during the afternoon, which it did. However, he insisted in playing the game and as he deemed the pitch playable, the game went ahead. As Older knows, once you cut a pitch up, it takes a lot of work to get it back into  a playable condition. AS Falmouth Town do not have the resources of clubs in the football league, there was no way to get it ready for Tuesday night's game. Maybe if some people would like to volunteer to help the groundsman, it might make the task easier.

4 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

The groundsman at Bickland Park pleaded with the referee on Saturday not to play the Combination League game as the forecast was for more rain during the afternoon, which it did. However, he insisted in playing the game and as he deemed the pitch playable, the game went ahead. As Older knows, once you cut a pitch up, it takes a lot of work to get it back into  a playable condition. AS Falmouth Town do not have the resources of clubs in the football league, there was no way to get it ready for Tuesday night's game. Maybe if some people would like to volunteer to help the groundsman, it might make the task easier.

It did cut up as the game went on , and with the constant rain as well , would be surprised if next Saturday game could go ahead , unless the next couple of days it stays dry and the groundsman can get on it , as to the ref perhaps at the time he checked it was deemed playable , but who could have known how much rain would fall over 90 mins .

4 minutes ago, stevieb said:

It did cut up as the game went on , and with the constant rain as well , would be surprised if next Saturday game could go ahead , unless the next couple of days it stays dry and the groundsman can get on it , as to the ref perhaps at the time he checked it was deemed playable , but who could have known how much rain would fall over 90 mins .

Shows what lack of judgement refs possess !

As hoped the Helston v St Austell match turned out to be an entertaining match for the neutrals!

On what looked a perfect playing surface and pretty much perfect weather conditions too, it was St Austell who went in front early on when in the 3rd minute Chris Reski, on the edge of the six yard box, turned in a cross. Just after the quarter their lead was increased when Rob Wearne, pretty much unmarked in the penalty area, volleyed home a header back across from Will Tinsley.

The first half turned though when firstly Tom Russell headed in on 21 minutes and ten minutes later, in a crowded penalty area, Tom Smith bundled in an equaliser at the far post. From then until the interval, it was Helston who threatened the most and I reckon Chris Knight would have been relieved to have heard the half-time whistle from Derek Fox. St Austell made a change during the break with Jordan Pearce being replaced by Martin Watts, which altered things at the back for the visitors, allowing Tinsley even more licence to bomb up and down that right wing for the next 45 minutes.

An attendance of 243 had to wait until the last 15 minutes for any more goals and not surprisingly they came from the visitors who prevented Helston really from creating too much goal excitement of their own in the second period. The game had been going the way of St Austell, but they received some help from a needless challenge just inside the box with the referee showing no hesitation but to point to the spot, allowing Chris Reski to get his second goal of the night and make it 3-2.

I guess the main difference between the first half compared to the second was that Helston gave the ball away too cheaply, the long boot upfield was too predictable and too many times ended up with a St Austell interception.

Skipper Liam Eddy completed the scoring for St Austell and when his header looped over Barry Wyatt to make it 4-2 with eight minutes remaining, it proved too late for the Blues to pull anything back.

As I said earlier, an entertaining evening of football!

12 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Never heard of a game being called off in advance for "the forecast is heavy rain"! Once it started, he obviously felt the pitch was playable. If it was so bad, the two managers should have had a word with him at half-time. Conveniently, I think, it was level at half-time!

18 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

He calls the game off and the rain never arrived and Big Al  slags him off for calling it off and collecting his fee etc. (See an earlier  post) Referees can not win !!

5 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Big Al  , the ref made the call it was his to make , can understand the groundsman point as well   , hopefully we will have a warm and dry winter and clubs won't have any more postponed games or cut up pitches  .

31 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Big Al  , the ref made the call it was his to make , can understand the groundsman point as well   , hopefully we will have a warm and dry winter and clubs won't have any more postponed games or cut up pitches  .

I agree but why do refs not possess any common sense and consider themselves so high and mighty ?

5 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

As hoped the Helston v St Austell match turned out to be an entertaining match for the neutrals!

On what looked a perfect playing surface and pretty much perfect weather conditions too, it was St Austell who went in front early on when in the 3rd minute Chris Reski, on the edge of the six yard box, turned in a cross. Just after the quarter their lead was increased when Rob Wearne, pretty much unmarked in the penalty area, volleyed home a header back across from Will Tinsley.

The first half turned though when firstly Tom Russell headed in on 21 minutes and ten minutes later, in a crowded penalty area, Tom Smith bundled in an equaliser at the far post. From then until the interval, it was Helston who threatened the most and I reckon Chris Knight would have been relieved to have heard the half-time whistle from Derek Fox. St Austell made a change during the break with Jordan Pearce being replaced by Martin Watts, which altered things at the back for the visitors, allowing Tinsley even more licence to bomb up and down that right wing for the next 45 minutes.

An attendance of 243 had to wait until the last 15 minutes for any more goals and not surprisingly they came from the visitors who prevented Helston really from creating too much goal excitement of their own in the second period. The game had been going the way of St Austell, but they received some help from a needless challenge just inside the box with the referee showing no hesitation but to point to the spot, allowing Chris Reski to get his second goal of the night and make it 3-2.

I guess the main difference between the first half compared to the second was that Helston gave the ball away too cheaply, the long boot upfield was too predictable and too many times ended up with a St Austell interception.

Skipper Liam Eddy completed the scoring for St Austell and when his header looped over Barry Wyatt to make it 4-2 with eight minutes remaining, it proved too late for the Blues to pull anything back.

As I said earlier, an entertaining evening of football!

Never heard of a game being called off in advance for "the forecast is heavy rain"! Once it started, he obviously felt the pitch was playable. If it was so bad, the two managers should have had a word with him at half-time. Conveniently, I think, it was level at half-time!

Dave helston v st.day last season was called off due to heavy rain on the way and senior cup final couple week's later.

Just now, BIG AL said:

It would pointless because in their own minds they can never be wrong !

Big Al  I have spent a lot of time with refs and the majority of times during or after a game will question a descion they have made , so sorry your point is flawed , yes there are some that are single minded just like yourself with your posts about refs , CCFA , or Falmouth Town  , the majority are out to enjoy a game of football , not to mess up everyone's game and to enforce the laws to the best of their abilities , which they have to apply in a match not from the sidelines , I make mistakes running the line  but hopefully I get the majority right , you can't please everyone but if they aren't here we have no football , everyone makes mistakes but we try to learn from them and move on .Big Al keep posting  after all this is a forum out for debate and life would be boring if we all agreed on everything , apart that I am always right lol  :D

5 hours ago, stevieb said:

Warm and dry winter stevieb, your having a soapy bubble, this is Cornwall were talking about.

10 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I would always say to the referee that there are X amounts of the season left - why mess it up so early in the season.

Falmouth have floodlights, so a massive number of opportunities to play it in the next 8 months ....yes 8 months, so no need to force a game on.

The Parkway game has been rescheduled for Saturday April 7th which at the moment will be Falmouth's last game of the season.

So there is plenty of scope to rearrange  and no need to desperately play and ruin  the pitch at this stage of the season.

On 04/10/2017 at 13:17, Quiet Man said:

Who was the ref ? 

On 10/5/2017 at 10:21, Mike Odgers said:

The Parkway game has been rescheduled for Saturday April 7th which at the moment will be Falmouth's last game of the season.

So there is plenty of scope to rearrange  and no need to desperately play and ruin  the pitch at this stage of the season.

On 10/4/2017 at 23:26, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I would always say to the referee that there are X amounts of the season left - why mess it up so early in the season.

Falmouth have floodlights, so a massive number of opportunities to play it in the next 8 months ....yes 8 months, so no need to force a game on.

Long term weather forecasts show it will be raining in Cornwall for the majority of November, December and January. 

Better take the decision today to call off all football for those months because theres still going to be another 5 months to play in, so thats plenty of days to catch up on. It may not rain, but we better be cautious and protect the pitches by making a snap decision on something that may, or may not happen!

What happened to if the pitch is playable and more importantly NOT DANGEROUS at the time, we play a game of football?

2 minutes ago, Robin Tucker said:

Long term weather forecasts show it will be raining in Cornwall for the majority of November, December and January. 

Better take the decision today to call off all football for those months because theres still going to be another 5 months to play in, so thats plenty of days to catch up on. It may not rain, but we better be cautious and protect the pitches by making a snap decision on something that may, or may not happen!

What a jolly good idea, however you seem to be forgetting that it's cold in January and February, risk of frozen pitch (and who likes to play with cold knees) so better write them off too. Seven games a week in the spring should keep everybody happy 'till it's cricket time again!

7 minutes ago, Robin Tucker said:

What happened to if the pitch is playable and more importantly NOT DANGEROUS at the time, we play a game of football?

No doubt the game at Falmouth tomorrow is off - the grass is still slightly wet !

12 hours ago, Robin Tucker said:

There's a comment from someone who has never looked after a pitch in his life......and totally mis-understood the post as well - young uns...oh dear.

9 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

There's a comment from someone who has never looked after a pitch in his life......and totally mis-understood the post as well - young uns...oh dear.

No never had to look after a pitch as a groundsman, but have taken the responsibility of making the decision if a pitch is safe! - sometimes upsetting the groundsman, sometimes the teams.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never seen in the laws of the game the wording

"A referee must call off a game, after both sides arrive, if in the opinion of the groundsman, the pitch might become damaged if the forecasted rain might fall and cause him extra work"

As a referee, when I look at a pitch for its inspection, I look at is the pitch SAFE to start the game, and if it rains more will it still be SAFE.  A groundsman 99percent of the time will want a game called off as he knows it will cause extra work, but the guidance i was always taught was IS IT SAFE FOR TODAY!!!

6 hours ago, Robin Tucker said:

No never had to look after a pitch as a groundsman, but have taken the responsibility of making the decision if a pitch is safe! - sometimes upsetting the groundsman, sometimes the teams.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never seen in the laws of the game the wording

"A referee must call off a game, after both sides arrive, if in the opinion of the groundsman, the pitch might become damaged if the forecasted rain might fall and cause him extra work"

As a referee, when I look at a pitch for its inspection, I look at is the pitch SAFE to start the game, and if it rains more will it still be SAFE.  A groundsman 99percent of the time will want a game called off as he knows it will cause extra work, but the guidance i was always taught was IS IT SAFE FOR TODAY!!!

The trouble now is that these days matches are being called off more than 24 hours in advance and more often than not the ground is fit to play on the Saturday afternoon.

7 hours ago, Robin Tucker said:

As a referee, when I look at a pitch for its inspection, I look at is the pitch SAFE to start the game, and if it rains more will it still be SAFE.  A groundsman 99percent of the time will want a game called off as hse knows it will cause extra work, but the guidance i was always taught was IS IT SAFE FOR TODAY!!!

There you go - got you in one, didn't understand the post at all.

The criteria for calling the game off is probably only twice a season, then YOU should take the groundsman's advice.....but you won't - because you don't have too.

Bit of a high horse there buddy, just think to yourself - common sense, early season, do I really want to mess a pitch up at this stage of the season.

And your guidance is wrong, use your own common sense and stop quoting/hiding behind that book,

On 06/10/2017 at 12:08, BIG AL said:

No doubt the game at Falmouth tomorrow is off - the grass is still slightly wet !

Sorry to disappoint again Al .thanks to an outstanding effort by the groundsman over the last 3days the game went ahead and the pitch stood up well .another good win by the lads .you were conspicuous by your absence despite saying you would attend in a previous posting .

1 hour ago, mattelot said:

Sorry to disappoint again Al .thanks to an outstanding effort by the groundsman over the last 3days the game went ahead and the pitch stood up well .another good win by the lads .you were conspicuous by your absence despite saying you would attend in a previous posting .

I assumed wrongly that the match would not be played. Planning to go to Newquay if work goes well.