Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Bruegel the Elder

Re-training for referees......

Recommended Posts

Just came across this title: "Re-training for referees..." thread on this sub-forum with a post authored by Fish. On trying to open it I was met by the legend "you are not authorised to view this content", it seems not to exist on the sub-forum index. Do we now have secret sub-sub-forums restricted to some unknown elite? or is it just a glitch in the system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i went to edit the post and it deleted in error.....no secret society 👍

My main point was what were people's thoughts on how sin bin rule is going? Consistency in games? Consistency of different referees? Problems? Positives? Referees view points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referee question then. Playing goal Saturday up at holmans ball comes through splashes mud up in to my eyes so obviously start to wipe it away and all I can hear is the ref counting 1,2,3 so I had to quickly kick the ball away. Is there such a rule for keepers to have so many seconds with ball in hand? 

Never had it before and every other ref just gets on with the game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ref in our game was letting both teams go into tackles however they wanted 'as long as he doesn't touch the player' is the phrase he used and as you can then imagine there were tacked flying in and he lost control of the game within the first 5 minutes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Simon2389 said:

Referee question then. Playing goal Saturday up at holmans ball comes through splashes mud up in to my eyes so obviously start to wipe it away and all I can hear is the ref counting 1,2,3 so I had to quickly kick the ball away. Is there such a rule for keepers to have so many seconds with ball in hand? 

Never had it before and every other ref just gets on with the game 

From taking full control of the ball in your hands, you then have 6 seconds to release it.  This came into effect many years ago to replace the number of steps rule

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robin Tucker said:

From taking full control of the ball in your hands, you then have 6 seconds to release it.  This came into effect many years ago to replace the number of steps rule

 

Although it is still in force, i haven’t seen anyone penalised for it in SWPL for years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Although it is still in force, i haven’t seen anyone penalised for it in SWPL for years!

Its one of those technical offences that seem to fall into the category of don't cause yourself issues where you don't need to.  Especially the higher up the game you go.

If you have a keeper that is causing you grief, its an easily punishable offence, but most referees and opposition see the 6 seconds (extending to 10 seconds) as a useful time to get into position for the next phase of play, and to have a second or two to have a breather.  Allowing a few seconds extra can cause a needed break in the tempo of the game, but the ones that need to be penalised are the ones that are being done to hinder a team from pushing for a goal, as it can aggrevate the situation

 

You will never see everyone penalised as referees have more to concentrate on than a keeper holding a ball for 7 seconds.  Also it will depend on what is deemed as being in control of the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's not a rule then......So remove it....if not then penalise it....what next? Foul throws being ignored, keepers handling 1ft outside the penalty area being ignored, corner kicks taken outside the d, ...unless the offender is causing you grief????? The joy of our game is that the same rules apply..whatever the level and standard being played....rules are rules, laws are laws, whether we like them or not.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, countyman said:

So it's not a rule then......So remove it....if not then penalise it....what next? Foul throws being ignored, keepers handling 1ft outside the penalty area being ignored, corner kicks taken outside the d, ...unless the offender is causing you grief????? The joy of our game is that the same rules apply..whatever the level and standard being played....rules are rules, laws are laws, whether we like them or not.........

I do penalise them and am get grief every time i do.  Most goal keepers either drop kick, throw out, or drop ball to their feet inside the 6 seconds in my games.

The professional game is run differently than grassroots football, with the governing bodies (from FIFA, UEFA, The FA etc) giving advice on what to penalise and what to "manage"  Its not right, but thats life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with many laws in football it is all down to the referees interpretation. In this case application of the law would normally be due to intent (to hinder the opposition) and persistence, i.e. taking time out of the game to preserve a lead etc. I wold have expected that "mud in yer eye" to be a mitigating factor, but, of course, there's no telling with referees!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2017 at 11:05, Simon2389 said:

Referee question then. Playing goal Saturday up at holmans ball comes through splashes mud up in to my eyes so obviously start to wipe it away and all I can hear is the ref counting 1,2,3 so I had to quickly kick the ball away. Is there such a rule for keepers to have so many seconds with ball in hand? 

Never had it before and every other ref just gets on with the game 

6 seconds. Been around for about 10 years or more now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leehh said:

6 seconds. Been around for about 10 years or more now

Not doubting it mate just saying that no other ref seems to use it. Also heard 10 seconds for an advantage which is a very very long time really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×