Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Wednesday Sept 27th 2017

Tavistock 3 - 2 Camelford

Just back from an entertaining trip across the boarder to watch the FA Vase match, Camelford will feel aggrieved that they never took the game to Extra Time, however with missing both their wide players knew tonight was going to be a big ask. The conditions were very wet and windy, however the pitch held up remarkably well  (bit surprising that the game was postponed on Saturday).

First half saw both team trying to play football and some feisty cup challenges going in from both sides. The 2-1 half time score flattered Tavistock as their keeper kept them in the game with two great finger trip saves and they scored near the break against the run of play. Second half saw Camelford equalise and then miss a couple of easy chances and being denied a stone wall penalty - Camelford were in the ascendency but another Tavvy goal against the run of play visibly drained the Camelford players. Last 10 minutes was all Tavvy, who missed three or four good chances - on another day Camels could have won by three or Tavvy won by five. 

Think if it had gone to ET, Tavvy looked sharper and Camels were drained - every one of them having given everything. Camels also, to a man went back to the bar and stayed long after all the Tavvy players had gone. 

There is no doubt Tavvy have a quality side, however Camels ran them close - just hope that Tavvy make the most of scraping this game and put together a good Vase run.

Mike - the weather was horrible, that said I would have been surprised if there were 53 there, about a dozen made the trip from Camelford, Tavistock have a small band of supporters who sell scarfs etc - but other than that, if there were 40 there I would have been surprised, let alone enough to cover the cost of three level 4 officials.  I would of thought Tavistock playing a full strength squad in a Vase match would have drawn more - hope they take more with them to Odd Down, as they usually have abysmal crowd attendances.

Thanks Bob-At least there wern't high travelling costs to cover Camelfod but where did the officials live?

Yes Odd Down dont look too well supported -Falmouth were there two seasons ago in the Vase and the official gate was 61

I did meet one ardent Truro fan at Odd Down shouting for Falmouth lol-I wont reveal his name but he was at Bath university at the time.