Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emart

'Betting on the football'

Hi all,

I'm undertaking a survey that may interest those of you that like to have a bet online on the football. I'd really (really) appreciate a few quick minutes of your time and you can take part by clicking on the link below:

This is part of my Psychology MSc and permissions have been obtained in advance to post here.

Many thanks!!!

The shadow of match fixing in years past still lingers in my mind. I'm amazed and saddened that the FA would have anything to do with the advertising of gambling on the outcome of football matches. They seem to have sold their souls for vast sums of money, from betting companies who advertise before, and even during matches.

Not long ago we had cricketers found guilty of match fixing. The South African captain and one of their batsmen were found guilty of taking money to influence the outcome of games. Two Pakistan players were imprisoned for match fixing - and still the betting industry puts vast sums of money into sport - and still, the sports governing bodies allow this to happen.

The FA seem to show no concern for the dangers of footballers being sucked into match fixing by the lure of big sums of money. I am 100% against betting in sport and particularly ''bet in play''.

I wonder if different parts of the country have different percentages of people gambling on football? If you live in a richer area, or have a concentration of clubs around you,  does make you more likely. Does living in an area where there more "older" people reduce the average rates.

Would be interesting to read your findings.

22 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

I wonder if different parts of the country have different percentages of people gambling on football? If you live in a richer area, or have a concentration of clubs around you,  does make you more likely. Does living in an area where there more "older" people reduce the average rates.

Would be interesting to read your findings.

Have older people more sense than to gamble CTB - I wonder.

I say again - the very thought that matches may be thrown or fixed is a frightening thought.  If it was to be discovered that this was happening across the leagues, it would spell the end of the game. The involvement of the betting companies in our national game should be stopped and the FA should divorce themselves from this sort of revenue, in my opinion.

I remember a scandal (I think it was match fixing) from the late 50s/early 60s involving about 3 players. I believe one was called Swann? and was maybe a Wolves player. Anyway that didn't kill the game but the worries are always there. I am more concerned about the refs taking the bribes.

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Just about remember it and so googled! 1963 - Sheff Wed - David 'Bronco' Layne, Tony Kay and Peter Swan were the big names involved from about ten in all who got done. 

That's right Dave, and, from that era - Gary Sprake the then Leeds United international goalkeeper, admitted in his autobiography that he had taken a bribe from Don Revie the Leeds manager to let a goal in to allow their opponents win a game - can't now remember who the opponents were.

Awful scenario - if this was happening on a large scale, there would be no point in watching football. Hopefully the fact that wages are so inflated now would make bribes less likely to occur. There's always the lower leagues though, and they too are open to bribes by the betting syndicates.